Planning a 2k Primaris DA project for 2022

Berzul

Hey everyone.

So, I am a player that has never, ever, in his life, played Primaris Marines. I have remained strictly with the Firstborn Marines all throughout the last two editions, because I wanted to finish my collection. After a few years, and with enough games under my belt, I have become comfortable enough in the size and variety of it. Sans one model I still need to get done (a Ravenwing Apothecary), my army is wide, varied, lore-friendly, and effective enough for me to truly enjoy it on the tabletop and outside of it.

I could continue to see it grow (and will most likely continue adding things, of course), but I think that I need to set myself a new project, with the Primaris line, now.

Thing is, I know NOTHING of Primaris... specially within my own faction, which is Dark Angels.

So far, all I do know for sure is that save a few exceptions, I have no interest in Phobos-Pattern models. I simply do NOT like the look of Reivers, Infiltrators and Incursors. I'd much rather make an army of Gravis and Mark X marines.

Here is what I have in mind so far. Can anyone please provide me with criticism and suggestions?

+++

Battalion Detachment

2000 Points

11 CP (12 to start, +2 for Azrael, -2 for Hero of the Chapter x2, -1 for an Extra Relic)

HQs

Azrael

+ Warlord: Brilliant Strategist

Primaris Lieutenant

+ Power Sword

+ Hero of the Chapter: Rites of War

Primaris Chaplain

+ Master of Sanctity

+ Exhortation of Rage, Canticle of Hate

+ Benediction of Fury

TROOPS

5-man Heavy Intercessor Squad

+ Hellstorm Bolt Rifles

5-man Heavy Intercessor Squad

+ Hellstorm Bolt Rifles

10-man Assault Intercessor Squad

+ Power Sword on the Sergeant

ELITES

5-man Bladeguard Veteran Squad

+ Neo-Volkite Pistol on the Sergeant

Bladeguard Ancient

+ Chapter Ancient

+ Hero of the Chapter: Steadfast Example

+ Extra Relic: Pennant of Remembrance

Primaris Apothecary

FAST ATTACK

6-man Inceptor Squad

+ Plasma Exterminators

3-man Suppressor Squad

HEAVY SUPPORT

10-man Hellblaster Squad

+ Heavy Plasma Incinerators

3-man Eliminator Squad

+ Bolt Sniper Rifles

+++

The idea of the list would be:

• Azrael and the Primaris Lieutenant lead the Hellbasters, backed up by the Eliminators. They hold down my backline and serve as a strong damage dealing unit, as well as an Objective Holder unit for Stubborn Defiance or other similar Secondaries. I am specially interested in trying the Eliminators, since sniper units are something I've never used but always wanted to try. They feel specially useful in the current state of the game.
  • The Heavy Intercessors are using the Assault variant of their weapons, because I plan on playing some hide-and-seek with these guys on deployment, as they move from objective to objective for actions.
  • The Bladeguard and the Primaris Apothecary make a run for the center and contest it throughout the battle. Aiming at scoring things sich as Oath of Moments, and to deny the enemy the center. I'm looking much more at survivability than actual damage output here, of course, which is why the Ancient is there, and why he is being given Objective Secured as an aura.
  • The Assault Intercessors, with the Chaplain along, and backed up by the Suppressors, serve to put the preassure on one side of the board. Advancing as a big block of infantry that can make a bee line for the enemy forces and force them on the defensive. 
  • The Inceptors, finally, work to put the preassure on the other side of the board. Serving as the element of surprise. Forcing my opponent to play more defensively, as these guys will absolutely destroy at least one high value target whenever they do show up.
  • The combined positioning of the Assault Intercerssors and Inceptors can be used to score such things as Engage on All Fronts, Behind Enemy Lines, and the like.

Testing out other ideas, as I try to understand the role Primaris marines fill, I came up with this one:

2000 points

12 CP

Azrael

+ Warlord

Primaris Techmarine

+ Master of the Forge

+ Hero of the Chapter (Rites of War)

10-man Heavy Intercessor Squad

+ Hellstorm Bolter

5-man Intercessor Squad

+ Autobolt Rifles

5-man Intercessor Squad

+ Autobolt Rifles

Primaris Apothecary

Redemptor Dreadnought

+ Macroplasma Incinerator

+ Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Icarus Rocket Pod

+ 2x Storm Bolters

Redemptor Dreadnought

+ Macroplasma Incinerator

+ Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Icarus Rocket Pod

+ 2x Storm Bolters

5-man Bladeguard Veterans Squad

Bladeguard Ancient

+ Chapter Ancient

+ Hero of the Chapter (Steadfast Example)

+ Pennant of Remembrance

6-man Inceptor Squad

+ Plasma Exterminators

Invader ATV

+ Multi Melta

Invader ATV

+ Multi Melta

You have

an infantry castle with the Heavy Intercessors + Azrael + Apothecary, capable of both rushing the center and clearing infantry;

two small infantry squads for actions;

two Redemptors with Objective Secured and a Techmarine to guard them for TEQ targets;

Bladeguard with an Ancient to contest the center of the board for Oaths of Moment and the like;

ATVs to handle vehicles and maneuver into Engage on all Fronts or similar secondaries;

6 plasma Inceptors to preassure the opponent through deepstrike and blast away at high value targets.

Sure others will chime in on other parts of the list, but want to call out a neat little trick the Eliminators can do. With an Instigator Bolt Carbine on the Sergeant, they have big repositioning capability via the Covering Fire ability.

Move 6" + Advance up to 6" - Fire the Instigator Bolt Carbine (Assault weapon) at something within 24" - Move 6" again. That is 13"-18" of movement in a single turn. Not bad for a bunch of footsloggers.

That advance part means only the SGT would be shooting their assault weapon...the rest are heavy.

Additionally you incur a move penalty to shooting the heavy weapons for just the move if you do not advance.

Not sure how it is ruled, but if you fire from stationary, then use the covering fire to move, I dont believe you incur a penalty the following turn that you shoot.

That advance part means only the SGT would be shooting their assault weapon...the rest are heavy.

Additionally you incur a move penalty to shooting the heavy weapons for just the move if you do not advance.

Not sure how it is ruled, but if you fire from stationary, then use the covering fire to move, I dont believe you incur a penalty the following turn that you shoot.

Yes, that is why I just mentioned the Instigator Bolt Carbine. Thought about putting a note in there that you could move 6", fire the other weapons at -1, then move another 6" but figured it would be obvious.

As for suffering a penalty the turn after using Covering Fire to move - they do not. Heavy weapons state that the penalty is incurred if the unit moves "this turn." By the time they fire again, it is no longer the turn in which they used Covering Fire.

Same principle applies to Dark Angels' +1 to hit for not moving - we get it in the opponent's combat phase even if we charged during our turn, because once the round shifts over to your opponent's turn it is no longer "this turn" with regards to your movement.

I don't know for sure how often you'd use the 6" + D6" + 6" movement, but it IS a good tactic to cover some ground across the board and reposition quickly (granted you can keep an enemy in range in order to use the cover fire rule).

In any case, the more I go over past games in my mind, the more I find Eliminators interesting.

I know a Vindicare Assassin would be better at taking out characters, but I find it hard to include one in an Astartes Army from a purely lore-perspective.