An Ancient Crusader... says 'Hi'!

Prot

*approving crusader noises intensifes*

Very nice weathering. Lovely bases. Such zeal, much wow.

Thanks very much. With black figs I'm doing a little more to the bases, and more weathering. Hence the more ZEAL for 2022! :tu:

The pictures definitely need to be zoomed in on to appreciate the details you put in and they definitely give off the blanchitsu vibe.

My only suggestion would be to tweak the volumes on the shoulder pads and some of the weapons to better line up with the rest of the model. Maybe tighten some of the osl from the eyes, as light shouldn't spill up over the eyebrows

The pictures definitely need to be zoomed in on to appreciate the details you put in and they definitely give off the blanchitsu vibe.

My only suggestion would be to tweak the volumes on the shoulder pads and some of the weapons to better line up with the rest of the model. Maybe tighten some of the osl from the eyes, as light shouldn't spill up over the eyebrows

Thanks, but I'm exactly where I want to be on those lenses; the exaggeration is intentional.  They look great from the playing perspective. I have several... dozens, maybe more variants on those lenses (check out my blog for examples). This is how I want my Templars to look. (IE: my Thousand Sons/Ultra's are old school layered lenses which seems to work for them.)

The rest moves up or down a bit with juggling techniques from the various styles I like to transition from. Sometimes I like to use more airbrush, more enamels, more pigment. All these variables help keep the hobby fresh for me after so many years. 

Well I ran out of likes again, but your Templars are simple jaw-dropping. Love that marshal and your latest Crusader squad, hoping to see more of your work!

Thank you. Still moving towards a bit of a grittier look but as explained above, I really found after doing so many armies over the years that the ones that still 'pop' from the table top perspective are my favourites. 

I'll try to  zoom in a bit better on the next squad I'm currently working on.... I still might push the 'gritty' (grimdark??) look a bit more, but I don't want to over do it. 

I do not intend on selling this army so I'm basically doing it how I want it done. I've reacquired my love for the Templars with these fantastic sculpts. I just seem to enjoy painting these marines a lot more than many of the others I've done.

Glad to know you want to keep this army. Geedub really knocked it out of the park with these sculpts!

I've always loved the background/idea of the Templars, but yea they did an incredible job on the line up.

I just finished assembling the Sword Brethren and literally there's no need for any real conversion work. The bits, and sculpts are just excellent!

Thanks, but I'm exactly where I want to be on those lenses; the exaggeration is intentional. They look great from the playing perspective. I have several... dozens, maybe more variants on those lenses (check out my blog for examples). This is how I want my Templars to look. (IE: my Thousand Sons/Ultra's are old school layered lenses which seems to work for them.)

The rest moves up or down a bit with juggling techniques from the various styles I like to transition from. Sometimes I like to use more airbrush, more enamels, more pigment. All these variables help keep the hobby fresh for me after so many years.

Fair enough if you want the glow to look that exaggerated for the table top and mass pictures. Unfortunately, for close ups, the exaggeration doesn't quite come off as well.

As for the volumes, I'm not saying every model should be the exact same, and the variability is believable when doing heavily weathered styles. What I'm getting at is that on an individual model, the volumes don't quite line up; the pads don't seem to share the same light source as the armour pieces they're next to. This sometimes happens if you're doing the pads separately with the airbrush and can't easily do the gradient on the detail parts like the trim and symbol.

Here we go. Some pics of the Assault Intercessors. A bit on the bright side, but I'll get the hang of the potato-cam one day!

BT-Assault-Intercessors-1.jpg?resize=768

There's enough here to do some slight combo's of variety to add flexibility to the squad build. (I love the fist bits in the Crusader box).

BT-Assault-Intercessors-2.jpg?resize=768

Here's a pretty big close up which shows a lot of mistakes, but I think it shows you some of the extra work as well. 

I like how they're turning out, and the increased time on battle damage (grimdark?) looks good on the tabletop.

BT-Assault-Intercessors-4.jpg?resize=768

On the blog I go into a bit of detail on the process, and compare it to other marine style armies I've done. But you can see here the big take away is you don't have to spent a million hours on a model for it to look good on the table top and this is the thing I think that stops most people from having 2,000 points + on the table top, fully painted!

Thanks for looking. On to the Sword Brethren!

Thanks for the compliments!

I love the battle damage, really authentic. And it looks like you've done some blending on the weapons? (Though I could be wrong as this technique is utterly beyond my skills!) 

Thanks. I did some white drybrush on the end  of weapons and the red contrast paint shows some of the transition from white to black underneath.  

Awesome works.

On my cellphone screen I see "yellow" instead of "white" on some parts. Is that a lighting scheme?

I guess it could be all the orange and sandy tones in the base work? Not sure.

After painting up a few squads I finally decided to paint up Helbrecht. I had an idea of what I wanted to do with the colours and tone and decided to just take the ideas and run with it.

Prot-Helbrecht-front-Black.jpg?w=603&ssl

Prot-Helbrecht-front-White.jpg?w=605&ssl

Prot-Helbrecht-rear-1.jpg?w=833&ssl=1

Prot-Helbrecht-Servitors-Close-Up.jpg?re

I went with the idea of:

- warmer colours inside.

- frame with cooler colours

- sword of High Marshall with turqoise tones.

- heavy vertigris, old baroque armour style. Weathering with oils/pigments. Heavy weathering of heretic backpack to set the tone for the armour.

- servitors in cool, basic tones.

Thanks for looking.

Prot-Helbrecht-SB-LT1.jpg?w=1385&ssl=1