Bladeguard Transport

Malakithe

I have found the Impulsor with Shield Dome is good at its job. Once it has done that job it is a bit of a paperweight. I was vaguely hoping the Black Templar upgrade sprue would have allowed Impulsors to take a MM as that would have given them some teeth once their initial job was done. They can be useful to block LOS, tie up enemy units and eat overwatch but so is almost any cheap unit.

You could fit 2x5 Bladeguard in a Repulsor which would be good for shooting but Repulsors are awfully fragile for their points. That would feel to me like a 700+ points of eggs in a single basket with a nice bullseye painted on it.

I have found the Impulsor with Shield Dome is good at its job. Once it has done that job it is a bit of a paperweight. I was vaguely hoping the Black Templar upgrade sprue would have allowed Impulsors to take a MM as that would have given them some teeth once their initial job was done. They can be useful to block LOS, tie up enemy units and eat overwatch but so is almost any cheap unit.

You could fit 2x5 Bladeguard in a Repulsor which would be good for shooting but Repulsors are awfully fragile for their points. That would feel to me like a 700+ points of eggs in a single basket with a nice bullseye painted on it.

Do they manage to stay alive after they come out of the impulsor? They can disembark but cant charge so they have to sit there for a whole turn doing nothing.

Do they manage to stay alive after they come out of the impulsor? They can disembark but cant charge so they have to sit there for a whole turn doing nothing.

BGVs can disembark and charge as long as the Impulsor hasn't moved yet. My normal approach is to move up the Impulsor T1 to near where I need the BGVs but with as much cover as possible. With the 5++, it will hopefully survive provided not too many units can shoot at it.

T2 the BGVs disembark and assault whatever is in range or jump an Objective if the enemy have failed to oblige. Given that most games of 9th are fought over the midfield, I have not yet had a game where my Bladeguard have failed to get to grips with their opponents.

BGVs can disembark and charge as long as the Impulsor hasn't moved yet. My normal approach is to move up the Impulsor T1 to near where I need the BGVs but with as much cover as possible. With the 5++, it will hopefully survive provided not too many units can shoot at it.

T2 the BGVs disembark and assault whatever is in range or jump an Objective if the enemy have failed to oblige. Given that most games of 9th are fought over the midfield, I have not yet had a game where my Bladeguard have failed to get to grips with their opponents.

Ahh this was the kind of insight I was looking for thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Im thinking ill try them on foot with an apothecary behind them to heal up and revive.

Sounds like a good plan. Between teleporting Terminators and Ravenwing, DAs are not lacking in mobility so using the Bladeguard as Objective holders is not a bad idea

Im thinking ill try them on foot with an apothecary behind them to heal up and revive.

Sounds like a good plan. Between teleporting Terminators and Ravenwing, DAs are not lacking in mobility so using the Bladeguard as Objective holders is not a bad idea

Right, and if you choose "stubborn defiance" on DA secondary objectives, they are auto-inclued!

Right, and if you choose "stubborn defiance" on DA secondary objectives, they are auto-inclued!

Unfortunately, Bladeguard cannot be used for Stubborn Defiance without a nearby character with Rites of War.

Stubborn Defiance specifies that the unit holding the point must have Objective Secured, which Bladeguard do not have even in a Deathwing detachment.

So they would need that nearby character giving them Objective Secured, and if the character moves out of range you will stop scoring Stubborn Defiance, because there will no longer be a "Dark Angels unit with the Objective Secured ability" holding the point.

Edited by phandaal

Unfortunately, Bladeguard cannot be used for Stubborn Defiance without a nearby character with Rites of War.

Stubborn Defiance specifies that the unit holding the point must have Objective Secured, which Bladeguard do not have even in a Deathwing detachment.

So they would need that nearby character giving them Objective Secured, and if the character moves out of range you will stop scoring Stubborn Defiance, because there will no longer be a "Dark Angels unit with the Objective Secured ability" holding the point.

Oh damn I didnt realize this either. Good to know