Revisiting Voldus

Prot

So I happen to really like this guy, and the model, but I see he is relegated to the category of 'never seeing competitive play' which kind of stinks.

He is a Wardmaker by default which is good and I think becoming more and more attractive just because of all the anti-psyker coming out is out... and if World Eaters do indeed get a codex, you can pre-emptively add that to the list.

I know he's not popular, and Crowe probably needs more work, but Malleus Argyrum is not bad if he gets stuck in. 

So I'm wondering if anyone is using him successfully and what his role might be. I guess conversely if you refuse to use him I'd like to know why. BUT if it's just because you use 3 NDK GM's, well... I'm trying to avoid that. It might be competitive but I find it boring as heck for list building and my opponents.

Let me know what you folks have experienced with good ol' Voldus ( As a side note I did re-buy Draigo and yeeesh does that guy need a new model. I forgot how rough that Finecast product is.)

I ran him all the time in my previous army but he does have a good cc weapon, and I think being a naturally great caster of essential power by using him as Wardmakers has kept him under the radar. The more armies that pop up with denials I think may bring him a bit more into the foreground. I know I play sob a lot and it’s really annoying. 

I don't think the problem with Voldus is that he is a Wardmaker. Nor do I believe the problem is that he can be replaced with Draigo, who can do what he does but better. Finally, I don't think Voldus's problem is that he locks you out of taking a Grandmaster in Nemesis Dreadknight.

It is all three.

You're giving up two things that you don't have to give up if you just took Draigo.

Yea it doesn’t look great. But I will say there might be an opportunity that may be a little more appealing if GW adds more anti psyker and increase point costs for NDKs. That might just kill the faction anyway. Let’s hope it doesn’t go that way.

I wish they actually re touched rules rather than just points over time. That Draigo model I got is horrible. It hasn’t changed and that finecast is brutal for the price. Maybe I’ll just use Voldus as another librarian.