please help with writing space wolves list for a friend

Nomadic Thunder

As above i'm trying to get my friend into playing 30k.

He has a good amount of models and is willing to purchase some for an army.

He loves the whole 13th company lore so was thinking to try and build some kind of cult of morkai list.

He has

a contemptor w/close combat arms

5 deathsworn

a model which can be a priest of fenris.

a landraider

a fair few mkv, mkIII and mkiV models

hvarl redblade

some wulfen models which he really wants to use. the mournival events rules have them in their rulebook (v3.3 p.30 (200pts for 5)) these and the deathsworn are a compulsory for the list.

points are yet to be determined really but around 2000 or over would be good.

currently i've put this together with what he'd like to have but i have no idea about grey slayers or what the army would need to be rounded or more useful other than some anti-tank. lack anti-air won't be an issue at the moment.

the plan is to get another 5 deathsworn and landraider transport and a spartan for a greyslayer blob with hvarl.

HQ:

Hvarl redblade

Priest of Fenris

-speaker of the dead, with power axe, artificer armour, meltabombs

Deathsworn retinue

- 5-man, rad grenades, great frost blade. riding in landraider phobos w/exra armour & dozer blade.

Troops:

yes please!

Elites:

Ulfhednar pack

- 5-man wulfen type thingies

Deathsworn

- 5-man, rad grenades, great frost blade. riding in landraider phobos w/exra armour & dozer blade.

Legion Contemptor

- dual close combat weapons, extra armour (howw the model is built)

I'd appreciate some tips on the troops loadout and if using pale hunters rite with just a spartan as the single heavy choice is a worthwhile option?

any additional choices and suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

I recommend to read the FAQ first.

2000 Points mean you have to take 3 HQ units for your army.

Those should always be the first you buy before taking any other units.

Since I don'T know the Mournival rules I can't say anything about them.

What Gorgoff said.

1. You'll need 3 HQ choices.

2. Familiarize yourself with Hvarl's warlord trait. I feel like it doesn't synergize well with infantry units that do not ride in dedicated transports, like a blob of Slayers in a Spartan. 

3. It (the warlord trait) does work nicely with '(P)ale Hunters though', since Scout bestows Outflank as well.

4. Two Land Raiders PLUS a Spartan might be a tad too much in 2.000 pts.  .... but that's just me.

5. IF you are set on the damn Spartan, maybe try something aling these lines:

- Hvarl

- Priest of Fenris in Tartaros Armour

- Legion Terminators in Tartaros Armour

+ Dedicated Transport:  Spartan

- Two units of Grey Slayers with attached Apothecaries, footsloggin'  (they're fast enough and Apothacries do not count for 'Warrior's Mettle').

- Deathsworn

- Priest of Fenris in Artificer Armour

+ Dedicated Transport:  LR Phobos

- Contemptor (whatever setup)

Now, you can have a scouting Spartan, a scouting Phobos, plus one unit of Slayers entering via Outflank for example. Or outflank both units of Slayers and scout only one vehicle (the better option IMHO).

Hvarl is a great support HQ, but personally I wouldn't run him in a Deathsworn / Morkai style list. 

• 2 months later...

These guys are correct that you will need 3 HQ choices for a list of 2,000 - 2,999 points but if the points limit of the game is 2000 then you only need 2 HQs for a list that is 1,999 points and under. I always try to consider this so Im not spending too much on HQs which can actually get in the way of the list.

Now, I'm really not one for telling people what they should and shouldn't take, it's your hobby so you should enjoy it how you like, but the Mournival Ulfhednar Pack rules are a little underwhelming and not worth basing a force around. The Black Cull RoW is really meant for use in Centurion games so this removes the use of the tanks and walkers etc. so unless the idea was to play in a group that has an agreement, less understanding people might not accept that as legit. Considering that the Space Wolf Legion rules are pretty strong as they are, I would probably ignore the Mournival stuff for now and just focus on all the fun that can be had with everything else. As a personal aside, I don't see the Ulfhednar as straight up Wulfen and the 40k Wulfen models kinda pull you out of the 30k vibe, but thats just me, you do you.

As far as I'm concerned, Grey Slayers are insane. They are essentially tactical marines that can take an incredible amount of wargear (Power Weapons for 5pts!!!) and can also charge after shooting bolt guns or running in the shooting phase thanks to Warriors Mettle. This makes them incredibly flexible and combined with the +1 WS for charging, these guys are absolute monsters that can take on many of the other Legions specialty units. Just be careful of attaching characters to them without the Warriors Mettle rule as they can spoil the party a little bit but it can still work. 

Hvarl is an awesome character but in using him you really need to consider how the army as a whole is going to work. Which units you are going to outflank and how you are going to use them? It's a bit of the old classic wolf pack surrounding the prey and making them vulnerable trick but you need to know how its going to work before you put the models on the table. Because of this I kinda agree that he doesnt quite suit the style of the list. Perhaps a beefy praetor with some terminators might be better to get started with? 

I put my Deathsworn in a LR with a Speaker of the Dead too as it is just insane. I would consider giving one of them a Power fist just in case. The rad grenades aren't massively necessary here as the axes will help and the priest lets you re roll 1s against infantry anyway.

Edited by Captain_Frostie

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/9/2022 at 8:57 PM, Captain_Frostie said:

As far as I'm concerned, Grey Slayers are insane. They are essentially tactical marines that can take an incredible amount of wargear (Power Weapons for 5pts!!!) and can also charge after shooting bolt guns or running in the shooting phase thanks to Warriors Mettle. This makes them incredibly flexible and combined with the +1 WS for charging, 

I put my Deathsworn in a LR with a Speaker of the Dead too as it is just insane. I would consider giving one of them a Power fist just in case. The rad grenades aren't massively necessary here as the axes will help and the priest lets you re roll 1s against infantry anyway.

This a really useful post, almost more so than the dedicated tactica :D Thank you for your insights.