Future Liber projects - General Discussion

Kelborn

Hey there,

it has been some days since the last poll. Just wanted to assure you that we are currently deliberating about the next step and that you can expect a timetable for the next phase sooner than later.

In the meantime, we can use this thread for further discussing and exchanging some ideas and thoughts. The old polls will be closed as of now as they've served their purpose.

I'll sum up the polls we had in order to have one cohesive overview of what we decided thus far. Furthermore, will we use this one for future announcements, as well. :smile.:

Previous poll results:

Poll 1: Setting - create a new one

Poll 2: Format - Start off with Flashpoint articles and sum them up into Warzone books

Poll 3: Factions - Main factions; Imperium, Xenos, Chaos - Sub-factions: Astartes, Necrons, Heretic Astartes, Astra Militarum - do a mix of canon and homebrew factions

Poll 4: Space & Time - Segmentum Obscurus; During the Indomitus Crusade; Hive-, Ocean-, Knight-. (Agri-)world

Cheers,

Kel

Edited by Kelborn

I know a couple of my themes were discussed in previous posts; Death cult & Labyrinth.

It is my opinion that the Labyrinth does not fit the Ocean-Hive World well (Well at least I cannot think of any way how)

A death cult on an Ocean-Hive World could be cool. My initial idea of how to combine the two would be to make it a planet dedicated to sea burial. People put in concrete coffins and sunk to the ocean floor.

How the Hive aspect fits is still flexible; Hive sized vessels sailing on the surface/Hives built don't he ocean floor piercing the surface

I know a couple of my themes were discussed in previous posts; Death cult & Labyrinth.

It is my opinion that the Labyrinth does not fit the Ocean-Hive World well (Well at least I cannot think of any way how)

A death cult on an Ocean-Hive World could be cool. My initial idea of how to combine the two would be to make it a planet dedicated to sea burial. People put in concrete coffins and sunk to the ocean floor.

How the Hive aspect fits is still flexible; Hive sized vessels sailing on the surface/Hives built don't he ocean floor piercing the surface

Coffins that are then found by Necrons infected by the Flayer virus?

Native forces suggestion: Hive houses (just suggestions, everything an be changed)

House De la Poer

Controls the swamp archipelagos and the bounty of biomatter that can be found there, they also control a majority of the larger greenhouses in the hive. Trade in biochemicals (including poisons), the better kind of foodstuff (they control one of the few food-chains in the underhive where you are guaranteed not to be served bad food or being poisoned), and alcoholic drinks with taste (other than bad).

Names: French and “red neck”, mix and match.

Models: Use Orlocks, paint them in Crocodile Dundee-, Baju Billy-, Steve Irwin-ish colours. Maybe take a look at Victoria Miniatures’ Van Diemen’s World Devils, for possible kitbashes.

House Zadok

Traders in underwater repairers and undersea salvaging. On a waterworld that means plenty of work, even for those that never leave the underhive.

Names: Welsh and Thai, mix and match.

Models: Use genesteelers without the extra arms, maybe use Kharandon backpacks (and other parts if you want). Paint metal parts as copper (polished or tarnished is just as good) beside that do as you want with the colours. Idoneth Deepkin bits can be used for decorations or to help mark out leaders.

Love your hivers @Gamiel - does anyone have any ideas for similar "Houses"? I'm not really that aware of Necromunda so haven't got the points of comparison :(

Do we have a name for the project and the planet the fighting is happening over?

Do we have a name for the project and the planet the fighting is happening over?

Storms on Thalassia

The Kyathoi of Euxcineum

The Vaults of Posiedon

Neptune's Drowned Cradle

The Mantles of Charybdis 

Insert any other heavy metal band name...?

Just my tuppence on your water worlds :smile.:

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Well I have some Cogger Hive houses but they are unlikely to be out this far. With where voting out this most of my brews are a little far away that may have singular or small representation. Hmm. But I would submit maybe having investigative representation of either Mjorn Forge World (one of my brews.) or a small segment representation of regiments from my subsector that may have made it that far hehe.

Not a Hive House per se, but I did have one idea for an influential group on our new water world.

The Church of the Blessed Depths

A long-established, popular religion on [PLANET] amongst the upper classes is the Church of the Blessed Depths, which believes The Emperor himself blessed [PLANET] with its oceans and sea-life, both to provide for and test the worth of its people.

Sea water is used in their sacred rites, and the more devout members refuse to eat anything that did not come from the blessed seas outside the hive. Burials at sea - the more elaborate and spectacular the better - are commonplace amongst the deceased of the Church.

The Church is slowly growing in popularity amongst low-class Hivers and Underhivers alike, at least some of which comes down to an attempt to assert a kind of social authority by professing the same beliefs as the nobility.

Fishing vessels are often blessed by the Church of the Blessed Depths in exchange for a percentage of the day's catch, which they then solemnly distribute amongst worshippers. On rare occasions the leftovers from these giveaways are issued to servants to throw into the underhives, another reason for the Church's blossoming popularity beneath the surface of the hives.

The Church of the Blessed Depths has little military presence to speak of, but a share of influence on [PLANET]'s culture at all levels means they can generally incite the local populace to arms if the need ever arises.

Native forces suggestion: Hive houses (just suggestions, everything an be changed)

House De la Poer

Controls the swamp archipelagos and the bounty of biomatter that can be found there, they also control a majority of the larger greenhouses in the hive. Trade in biochemicals (including poisons), the better kind of foodstuff (they control one of the few food-chains in the underhive where you are guaranteed not to be served bad food or being poisoned), and alcoholic drinks with taste (other than bad).

Models: Use Orlocks, paint them in Crocodile Dundee-, Baju Billy-, Steve Irwin-ish colours. Maybe take a look at Victoria Miniatures’ Van Diemen’s World Devils, for possible kitbashes.

House Zadok

Traders in underwater repairers and undersea salvaging. On a waterworld that means plenty of work, even for those that never leave the underhive.

Models: Use genesteelers without the extra arms, maybe use Kharandon backpacks (and other parts if you want). Paint metal parts as copper (polished or tarnished is just as good) beside that do as you want with the colours. Idoneth Deepkin bits can be used for decorations or to help mark out leaders.

House Kuka-Ka-Ka-Ana

House Kuka-Ka-Ka-Ana makes up such a large part of the Stowageer Guild and Fishmonger Union that in most hivers mind they are synonymous. It’s their bulging biceps that load and unload ships, train and cargohaulers, and protect the cargo as long as long as it’s at the station. It’s their cutters that filet the macro fishes, and their clubs that crack the shells of the giga crustacean, that are caught in the open sea.

Names: English working class (1880’s-1940’s) and Polynesian, mix and match.

Models: Use Goliaths, can be any colours even if seablue, -green and similar “sea colours” are most fitting (recommend not using red or orange since that Goliaths' traditional colours and will not help when presenting them as not-Goliaths). More or less crude tattoo and armour paintings of “marine” motives on them (fish skelletons are common), traditional Polynesian patterns are also possible. Kitbach with bits from Idoneth Deepkin and Ogor Mawtribes if you want

Edited by Gamiel

The Church of the Blessed Depths has little military presence to speak of, but a share of influence on [PLANET]'s culture at all levels means they can generally incite the local populace to arms if the need ever arises.

Suggest fanatics made from Cawdor/Idoneth Deepkin kitbash, or faithful death cultist created from Corpse Grinder Cult models painted in sea/sealife colours and maybe some Deepkin parts.

Actually I was just thinking conscripts to supplement whichever Guard force we wind up using. :sweat:

No reason to not go mad with the kitbashes for anyone interested in modelling them, of course.:happy.:

EDIT:

Just realised there's no actual models for conscripts, I must have dreamt them up :wacko.:

Definitely kitbashing is the way to go then! :laugh.:

Edited by Ace Debonair

If I may...

The Aquillian Mariners

----------------------------------

Recruited from the Hiver population of [Planet], the Aquillian Mariners are regiments dedicated to operating in support of both the Imperial Navy and sea-based campaigns. Both of these roles are achieved through the surprising amount of overlapping practices throughout the infantry equipment of the Mariners. Their armoured capability is split between typical ground-based vehicles and water-focused vessels. Through the modification of pre-existing vehicles like the Valkyrie and the Arvus Lander hastily approved by the local Forge Worlds in light of the Great Rift, the Aquillian Mariner regiments have defended the ocean worlds of the sector with the zeal and ability expected of an amassing of soldiers under the Imperium's banner.

Due to the nature of their equipment and the nature of their warzones, the Aquillian Mariner regiments are typically smaller than normal Guard regiments, yet they are usually better trained. Their element of tech-priests, once restrained to the dogma of the Cult Mechanicus, have begun to develop more modifications for Imperial armour to allow for the Aquillian Mariners to have better undersea support, ranging from fully functioning las-weaponry to submerging gunships, though the latter is rare and few in number.

Assembly: Freeguild Guard/Palatine Enforcer bodies, Palatine Enforcer helms, Imperial Guard lasguns, Van Saar Archeoteks & Grav-cutters with enclosed helms for a bit of battle-surfer action. Perhaps the Arkanaut ships without their hot air balloons? Color scheme: Leviadon Blue, Blue Horror for weapons and gear, Grey Knights Steel for weapons and plate armor, and Aggaros Dunes for soft material. I am trying to think of a proper Company Commander but I just cannot find a model with the right coat.

Does it fit?

Storms on Thalassia

The Kyathoi of Euxcineum

The Vaults of Posiedon

Neptune's Drowned Cradle

The Mantles of Charybdis

Insert any other heavy metal band name...?

Just my tuppence on your water worlds :smile.:

I quite like the sound of Thalassia, how about twisting it away from straight up "sea land", make it a bit weirder - something like Phthalossia, the blue-green colour of the oceans giving the world its name?

I quite like the sound of Thalassia, how about twisting it away from straight up "sea land", make it a bit weirder - something like Phthalossia, the blue-green colour of the oceans giving the world its name?

Sounds good - it's your canoe brother, paddle it how you like! :biggrin.:

House De la Poer

House Zadok

House Kuka-Ka-Ka-Ana

House Kuka-Ka-Ka-Ana makes up such a large part of the Stowageer Guild and Fishmonger Union that in most hivers mind they are synonymous. It’s their bulging biceps that load and unload ships, train and cargohaulers, and protect the cargo as long as long as it’s at the station. It’s their cutters that filet the macro fishes, and their clubs that crack the shells of the giga crustacean, that are caught in the open sea.

Models: Use Goliaths, can be any colours even if seablue, -green and similar “sea colours” are most fitting (recommend not using red or orange since that Goliaths' traditional colours and will not help when presenting them as not-Goliaths). More or less crude tattoo and armour paintings of “marine” motives on them (fish skelletons are common), traditional Polynesian patterns are also possible. Kitbach with bits from Idoneth Deepkin and Ogor Mawtribes if you want

House Abyss

The youngest house in the hives, recently given a Letter-of-House by the Planetary Governor, their name comes from that their homebase lay somewhere below the underhive, maybe even under the sump. Their claim to fame and power is that somewhere in the deep they have found, or so they say at least, an working archeotech device from which they are able to create technology so highly advanced and capable that it is unbelievable by most of their hive peers. The house is shrouded in an sinister air, with many claiming that the technology they use suck their souls away, or that what they found in the deep was not some kind of archeotech device but something of darker, xeno-origins…

Names: Egyptian and Aztec, mix and match

Models: Van Saar, use heads from Freeguild models with big hats if possible. Use Necron colours for their equipment and jumpsuits, their hats should be colourful (think La Calavera Catrina’s hats, big feathers are a plus). If you hate yourself paint their faces as if they had Calavera face paint, Calavera style decoration on their bodies are also possible. Eyes that are just glowing green or electronic blue are a suggestion. Raid the Necron, Seraphon, and Tomb Kings boxes for bits, but they should be in the same Necron colour as the rest of theit gear.

Edited by Gamiel

We've got an ocean world and no pirates.

Obviously, I can't let that continue to be the case. :laugh.:

The Pirates of Oa' Nathu

As any grown citizen of [PLANET NAME] will tell you, Oa' Nathu does not exist. It's a fictional country that, in the long-ago history of [PLANET], was sunk by a cataclysm of some kind. Some say The Emperor sank it for impiety, others say that one of His children destroyed it by mistake, and yet others will tell you it was blown to pieces by Tech Priests to create the foundations of the Hive Cities.

Nevertheless, the name persists in old songs and half-remembered tales. In the last few decades, Oa' Nathu has taken on a darker meaning as a number of pirates and smugglers have declared themselves "Citizens of Oa' Nathu", and, under interrogation, hinted at some vague authority figure of their own commanding their raids and lawless ventures.

At present, information about this unknown pirate leader is vague and contradictory, and the truth about such an individual - if indeed they even truly exist - may remain as mysterious as the legends of Oa' Nathu itself.

"Ain't nobody goes round Charon's Cradle lad.  Going to get caulked, good and proper you take that boat out yonder."

"Aye, t'is a sight to frighten even them Pirates of Oa'.  There be bounty sure enough, but better you throw yoursel' in the sea wi' a great stone round yer neck as afore you reach it!  Great plumes o' fire and smoke, belching up from the bowels of all hell, the sands dark as a heretic's tongue.  Fell and cursed it be, guarded by the Silver Sirens.  A skin what no spear can break, and no las bolt can burn.  Been the death's o' many a fine shipman, luring 'em into the vile waters, thick with oil and choked by smog."

"Mark my words young'un.  Fer the sake of yer crew and your hive-hearth, turn back now, and save the fish a rancid meal."

- The Warning of an Ancient Mariner upon the dangers of the volcano-peaks of the Charon Islands, before the loss of the Merchant vessel Gilded Hound.

Has taken a while but we're now back with a schedule on how we would like to take on this project alongside you.

As we've decided to start of on a smaller scale, I think it's reasonable to take the current flashpoint of Octarius for comparison. It's first article featured:

- 6 pages of campaign fluff including the introduction and the first exempkary battles (fighting Nids in cold mountains and underwater variants on an sea bed)

- 4 pages as short story covering the underwater battle

- 6 pages of rules, etc.

First of all, we divided the amount of necessary work into comparable stepstones which will be done one after another. Here are the stepstones for what I'd call the "Introduction":

1) world & participating sub-factions

2) first scenario outline (I.e. battles)

3) additional sideboxes with juicy fluff (for example characters)

Each of those three stepstones will be given a timeframe of two weeks, beginning today with step 1 and having the 29th of November as targeted deadline.

Means that

Step 2 = 30th of November until 13th of December

Step 3 = 14th of December until 2nd of January (I'm stretching this one because of Christmas and Silvestre)

Afterwards, we will begin fleshing everything out and shape it into a serious article. The timeframe for this phase will be set beginning of next year.

As soon as I'm able (when I'm either on my home pc or at work), I will hold up to what I promised earlier and summarize the polls to give everyone an overview of what we got to work with.

I've already seen some cool ideas and will come up with some myself, as well.

Getting serious now, guys. ;) Let's create something cool and fresh, together!

Cheers,

Kel

House De la Poer

Suggest Sumpkrocs as pets, Seraphon salamanders and razordon are also possible.

House Zadok

Give them Idoneth Deepkin animals (not the really big ones), like the Duinclaw, as pets

House Kuka-Ka-Ka-Ana

Give them Phyrr cats and Phelynx as pets (cats like fish and Kuka-Ka-Ka-Ana are fishmongers after all)

Edited by Gamiel

I didn't think we voted for any space marine chapters to be involved

Let's just have every IA writer who wants his or her IA Chapter to win glory in the coming campaign, make proposals for what his or her IA Chapter can contribute. My own Iron-hearted Angels can aid with their (relatively) extensive knowledge of how Necron technology works, and exploit their close relations with the Sons of Medusa and certain AdMech factions (those studying xeno technology) to draw more forces to the Imperium's aid.