So, to begin this journey, I went and ordered a simple box of Blue and Brimstone Horrors. The idea being that, if I am to build up some experience with painting, I might as well go for models that don't have that much details to them, that can be painted with mostly just a general application of color, and that won't really be on the battlefield much (since they will mostly be in reserves, waiting for some other Pink Horrors to get killed in order to even show up).
I went for some regular Citadel paints (not Contrast, although it has been made clear to me that I should have gone for Contrast paints... oops), and some paint-applied White Primer. Spray cans are a no-go for me, due to the size and characteristics of my appartment, plus the fact that I have very, very young children. Exposure to the spray could be an issue.
I went ahead and took two pairs of Brimstone Horrors to start.
I primed them with Scale75 Whie Primer, which I sadly miscalculated in the dilution with water. The result was a lot of pooling in the recesses of the minis. Still, they did get fully primed in the end.
Then, I totally forgot to apply an undercoat of paint. I had a bottle of Vallejo White for this purpose, but it just slipped my mind completely. I instead went straight for two coats of Flash Gitz Yellow, right over the uneven primer. So, of course, this was a bit of a pain to apply. Still, the end result was good enough for my tastes. No detail on the models was lost, and aside from a pair of places on one model that I noticed later, they got a good even coat of yellow on them.
Next up, fixing the one model that got a couple of grey spots on it, and some Casandora Yellow, for shading.