The Wolftime Review Thread

True. I guess I just would have rather seen it as a separate pair of novels to include the Saga of the Beast stuff with Ragnar, than part of the Dawn of Fire series. But that's just my personal feeling, and like I said, I enjoyed the book. I'm more curious to see what will happen in the next book(s), to see if they really do move the narrative forward in a dramatic way.

(A son of Russ returns, clearly with Chaos on the ropes as what other events could leave him with time to not only read a Gav Thorpe novel, but to post about it...)

Just a couple of quick observations rather than a review:

Observation Uno:

Despite the rewrites, apparently no one either knew about (or felt it was worth preserving) the entire premise behind the Dragonspears' appearance in the lore - specifically, that the Salamanders had no *known* successor chapters prior to the Ultima Founding, whereupon they suddenly experienced the novelty of multiple PRIMARIS-ONLY successors, including the Dragonspears.

Nope, instead we get a fully-Firstborn version of the Dragonspears in this book, openly known as Salamanders successors, just so Thorpe can include a line where Krom DragonGAZE is amused by the name of the DragonSPEARS chapter.

Yes, loyal Sons of Vulkan, GW felt it was worth overturning the established lack of open Salamanders successors simply so Thorpe could make that lukewarm "joke."

Observation Dos:

Having been a part of more than a couple of creative projects that had their scope either truncated or expanded well into development and in some cases actual production, I can say there is significant forensic evidence inside and outside of this book that the Dawn of Fire series has been shortened to maybe two-thirds if not half of its original hoped-for length.

This book was clearly originally written to take place some few months after The Gate of Bones:

1) It's standard practice in GW's books (minus the occasional exception which proves the rule) for all the scenes in a given chapter to take place either concurrently or in sequence. The Orad bits completely break that convention as they all - minus the last - take place YEARS before the rest of the chapter they are embedded in. But if The Wolftime were actually set a few months after The Gate of Bones, those sequences would be right at home where they are. Those Orad sequences SHOULD have been reformatted as interludes between the chapters, and probably in italics. That is how they'd have likely appeared if they'd actually been planned that way from the start.

2) Vychellan notes that it's been "months" since Colquan has actually deigned to speak with him, due to his resentment about the death of Achallor at Gathalamor. And apparently a block of "months" is enough for Vychellan to take as an intentional slight. Gee, imagine how he'd feel if it had been over three YEARS... which it supposedly is after rewrites, yet the notoriously-meticulous Custodian still frames it as "months."

3) The big one - Gulliman mentions to Hurak the existence of "increasing discontent among the elite of Terra," to which Hurak thinks to himself that he "had seen nothing of discontent from the political hierarchy of Terra." Given Guy Haley's overall hand in the planning of this series and his very strong efforts to work and play well with the books of Chris Wraight, this can only mean (unless Hurak has a fraction of the knowledge of the strategic situation he gives himself credit for) that the very public Hexarchy uprising hasn't happened yet. That WOULD make sense again if this book were taking place within the first six months or so of Guilliman leaving Terra. It is ABSURD to suggest that it still hasn't taken place over three years after he'd left. Go back and read The Regent's Shadow and TRY to stretch that narrative out over three-plus years. You can't do it. Just reading the Jek chapters, you'd have to accept that it took years for the Phalanx to limp home from Cadia. But even if you're willing to grant that, there's just no way to read the Valerian and/or Aleya chapters and accept that a period anywhere close to a single year, let alone over three, took place between the ceremony before Guilliman left and the Hexarchy revealing themselves. And that again is likely because this book was originally supposed to take place shortly after The Gate of Bones and would set up the acknowledgement in Book 4 - likely written by Haley - of the uprising and the announcement of the replacement High Lords, including Morvenn Vahl (though Haley might have left the actual identities of the remaining High Lords unknown until Wraight gets around to writing book 3 of Watchers).

4) You also have the absolute slamming of the brakes on Fleet Primus. At this point, they've essentially been at a standstill - fine, that sets up their need to get the Space Wolves on board - but for THREE YEARS? The brilliant tactician Guilliman - who can zip about in the Warp pretty much at will - has taken THREE YEARS to realize that maybe he should reach out to his most obvious allies whom he hasn't heard from since sending that Torchbearer fleet whose success he never received any confirmation of? Yet again, this "entrenchment" makes sense if the book were set just a couple of months out from The Gate of Bones. At three-plus years, it's laughable.

On top of that, we have the noticeably-lengthy gap between books 2 and 3, a good nine months, coming during a time when Thorpe definitely wasn't off traveling the world. Plus confirmation from Thorpe himself about rewrites back in late spring, rewrites that apparently led to a longer than normal interval before the final copy was ready for the printers.

Now WHY might this have happened? Well, three simple words:

GW LOVES MONEY.

And the Dawn of Fire series has NOT been a cash cow. Despite being positioned as the Horus Heresy of the 40K setting, this series just has not enjoyed the same level of support. You want an example that crystallizes this point? Go on the Black Library site right now - as of the time I'm writing this, FIFTEEN days after The Wolftime went up for pre-order, the special edition is STILL available for purchase. When is the last time that happened with a Heresy or Siege of Terra special edition?

And before you think "Well, that's just because Thorpe's writing this one," I can assure you that I bought a second copy of the Avenging Son special edition for a friend after IT had been on pre-order for a week as well. And I checked in on The Gate of Bones at least a few days after the pre-orders went live and it hadn't sold out at that point either.

I'm sure the original idea with Dawn of Fire was to keep it relatively loose as far as the overall number of books, hope for fifteen or so in total, but be ready to cut that to ten or even less. And with the reception of the first two volumes clearly not being anywhere near the Heresy-level support they were shooting for, I have no doubt that is the reason for this sudden three-year jump in the timeline as of this book.

In fact, I would bet that as part of the hype for Book 4 (very likely written by Haley), we'll also get confirmation as to how many books will be in the series. Because NOW they know the answer - and it's not the answer they were hoping for. I wouldn't in fact be surprised if the series wound up totalling a trim seven volumes, with Haley again writing Book Seven and dovetailing it in with Dark Imperium

(And I'll leave you with that. Cue the... appearance of the... knee-jerk contrarion... with the... foppish... overuse... of... ellipses... in place... of... an actual... counter-... point...)

The series was originally announced as 9 books so we will see what's going to happen. Personally, I'm enjoying it and I hope the sales of paperbacks are decent for BL to finish the series. Plus the move to offer LE along with general release was a great move.

Some retailers already have the 4th book listed and Haley is mentioned as the author.

@Lord Nord - I haven't read the book yet (still waiting on GW to ship it lol). That said I'm curious about the dragon spears because I was thinking about making my other Primaris chapter into them. My brother has a salamander army and I like the ideal of having an ally for my wolves that I can run with my brother if we do a double event (best way to play 40k IMO).

So my question is does the book imply they have a long history? I'm mainly asking because with how close this is to the founding I doubt Guilliman would send them out on their own. I've actually wondered from the tones of the previous books if he may replace some of his chapters with primaris from other blood lines to even things out. 

Regardless I'm really curious how Gav handled them. 

@Lord Nord - I haven't read the book yet (still waiting on GW to ship it lol). That said I'm curious about the dragon spears because I was thinking about making my other Primaris chapter into them. My brother has a salamander army and I like the ideal of having an ally for my wolves that I can run with my brother if we do a double event (best way to play 40k IMO).

So my question is does the book imply they have a long history? I'm mainly asking because with how close this is to the founding I doubt Guilliman would send them out on their own. I've actually wondered from the tones of the previous books if he may replace some of his chapters with primaris from other blood lines to even things out. 

Regardless I'm really curious how Gav handled them. 

The Dragon Spears are not mentioned as beaing Salamaders successors, but they show treats we accosiate with the Salamanders (protect the people as a higher priority than take out the enemy). Since the Grey Hunters pack we follow don't know about primaris marines until he met Gaius was my impression that the Dragon Spears were first born only, becouse if the were not the Grey Hunters shold have heard about them before.

It could be that: the Dragon Spears are an old successor chapter that just did not know about their gene-line untill Cawl's people gave them that information; they died to a marine and a Salamander successor chapter was created with their name; there are two Dragon Spears chapters out there.

Edited by Gamiel

Thanks Gamiel, it sounds like the dragon spears just make a pretty brief appearance then. I would have preferred to know more about them, and to be honest how they handled making the chapters that early in the crusade. That said at this point I think the blame falls on GW for that, a lot of us have wanted to know how the chapters were formed and what resources they had. It should've been answered by now, and IMO the answer should be in the marine codex with a breakdown of one of them.   

The series was originally announced as 9 books so we will see what's going to happen. Personally, I'm enjoying it and I hope the sales of paperbacks are decent for BL to finish the series. Plus the move to offer LE along with general release was a great move.

Some retailers already have the 4th book listed and Haley is mentioned as the author.

I'm aware that there was some chatter at the time about the series being nine books long, but I don't believe that was ever *officially* announced anywhere. Last I knew, the only place people were able to point to as "confirmation" of that was Amazon's listing for Avenging Son.

And let's face it, Amazon's been wrong more than once. For that, you need look no further than their listing for The Gate of Bones, which can't decide whether it's "book 2 of 3" or part of a "Mega-series."

If you have an official source, I'd really like to see it.

As for Haley writing Book 4, well as I said we can expect him to acknowledge the Hexarchy uprising and probably announce Morvenn Vahl's ascendancy in that book. I just really hope this doesn't lead to Wraight being pressured to write book three of both Vaults of Terra and Watchers of the Throne to accomodate this now-canon three-year jump in the timeline that he clearly never intended. I am sure book 3 of Vaults was largely meant to take place concurrently with the Hexarchy crisis, so that would suddenly need to jump forward three years as well. Hopefully he'll be allowed to just ignore it.

Edited by Lord Nord

I am sure book 3 of Vaults was largely meant to take place concurrently with the Hexarchy crisis, so that would suddenly need to jump forward three years as well. Hopefully he'll be allowed to just ignore it.

I am sure it could be hand-waved as time dilation related to warp travel.

I am sure book 3 of Vaults was largely meant to take place concurrently with the Hexarchy crisis, so that would suddenly need to jump forward three years as well. Hopefully he'll be allowed to just ignore it.

I am sure it could be hand-waved as time dilation related to warp travel.

That would be backwards, though. Time dilation slows down time for the person travelling. In this case, we've had three years go by for the traveller (Guilliman). And those same three years have also ticked off for those who never entered the warp at all during that time. So for three years NOT to have also gone by on Terra (which is free of the Rift's effects since book 1 of Watchers), there'd have to be another explanation than warp shenanigans.

Edited by Lord Nord

“Time dilation slows down time for the person travelling”

Does it?

Pretty sure there are references in the lore (certainly earlier lore which could have been superseded) that says Warp Dilation can have all manner of effects with ships sometimes arriving centuries later or even centuries before they departed.

Does it?

Pretty sure there are references in the lore (certainly earlier lore which could have been superseded) that says Warp Dilation can have all manner of effects with ships sometimes arriving centuries later or even centuries before they departed.

Traditional time dilation DOES work the way I said, yes. Warp travel CAN be different, yes.

But nitpicks aside, the larger point I made in my previous response remains: we saw that three years had passed for not only Guiliman and those travelling the warp with him, but for all of the characters in the book no matter how much time they had spent in (and in some cases completely out of) the Warp. We are told by the narrator AND in the supplemental material that we're in year four of the Indomitus Crusade.

This isn't a Sicarius situation.

This isn't a Baal situation.

This is a "we need to start wrapping this story up even if that means moving a book originally set in year one to year four" situation.

The Wolftime – Gav Thorpe (Audiobook)

Thorpe continues the trend of “how did he write this, but also Indomitus?”

I hope it doesn’t come across as a knock against the book that a large portion of the entertainment it gave me was actually a product of watching so many redditors having a meltdown over a book called The Wolftime not featuring anything meaningful related to Russ. That anyone expected Russ to return, or even feature, in a nominally marketed Black Library book is hilarious to me. The schadenfreude only increases when I see so many people dismiss a book they haven’t read as garbage because there’s not setting-shattering revelations in it. I can’t imagine viewing, much less enjoying, any artform as mere set-dressing for interesting data.

The actual content is mostly good. Thorpe is still good at writing conversations. Thorpe is still bad at writing grand-scale action scenes. I’d be curious to see what a Horror or Crime novel could get out of him, seeing as those don’t seem to have the usual fightan quota.

Being honest, I think this is probably the least of the Dawn of Fire books so far, but as with Gate of Bones it’s really above average fair for the author. The first quarter is definitely a bit slow, thanks to said fightan quota, but it does at least work as an effective stage-setter for the meat of the book (and I forgive it because the climactic battles are actually of an appropriate length, for once.) After the rocky start, the book is a wonderful listen.

The Wolves are my least favourite loyalist chapter and I dislike most of their media, but this is probably the most I’ve enjoyed a book featuring them since Prospero Burns. One of the keys to writing astartes, IMO, is tying a psychological crisis to run parallel to the combat. Marine stories where the threat is only overwhelming odds from the enemy suck, universally. The reason Haley’s Blood Angels work hits is because they are as much a struggle for the soul of the legion as a struggle for their literal existence. The same thing works here: the Wolves weighing practicality against their very identity is really compelling stuff. Overcoming physical adversity in itself isn’t that interesting, especially when the characters are bred purely to fight and die. But considering how one reacts to failure, that’s intriguing, that’s a vehicle for good character and compelling story.

Haley’s hand in this series becomes more apparent with each entry; these books are all structured quite well and have a healthy respect for continuity – the two things I think Haley truly excels at (and for that matter, structure and pacing is something I think Thorpe is pretty bad at.) I have no real love for Haley on a prose or character level, at least when it comes to the individual novel; but he’s already proven himself better at multi-author series oversight than anyone else at BL after just 3 books – something backed up by his entries in The Beast Arises, which both did a ton of legwork to make it more cohesive. I hope he leans more into that role in the future; I’d imagine he’d give us consistently good runs on all sorts of subjects and series.

I really hope Lord Nord’s prediction doesn’t come to pass – this series reads like the child of Dark Imperium and The Beast Arises that learned from all its parents’ mistakes (so far.) I hope it at least gets its aforementioned 9 entries; it really has the potential to be more than the sum of its parts.

ANR: 7.5/10

I'm aware that there was some chatter at the time about the series being nine books long, but I don't believe that was ever *officially* announced anywhere. Last I knew, the only place people were able to point to as "confirmation" of that was Amazon's listing for Avenging Son.

And let's face it, Amazon's been wrong more than once. For that, you need look no further than their listing for The Gate of Bones, which can't decide whether it's "book 2 of 3" or part of a "Mega-series."

If you have an official source, I'd really like to see it.

As for Haley writing Book 4, well as I said we can expect him to acknowledge the Hexarchy uprising and probably announce Morvenn Vahl's ascendancy in that book. I just really hope this doesn't lead to Wraight being pressured to write book three of both Vaults of Terra and Watchers of the Throne to accomodate this now-canon three-year jump in the timeline that he clearly never intended. I am sure book 3 of Vaults was largely meant to take place concurrently with the Hexarchy crisis, so that would suddenly need to jump forward three years as well. Hopefully he'll be allowed to just ignore it.

The chatter was from an article on "Warhammer Community" page directly but has been since removed/edited; or at least I'm not able to look it up anymore and the search function on that website is atrocious. Not the first time they would edit one of their articles. Often in case they reveal something they aren't supposed to or mess up (upcoming books leaked and few hours later edited out, audiobooks announced but no such thing is coming out, people point it out on BL FB and suddenly the article is quickly edited).

Also, the synopsis/publishing date info retailers get directly from GW who supplies it to the retailers' catalogs, it's written by GW not by the individual retailers and bookstores. Amazon isn't the only retailer who received the info directly from GW the Avenging Son is the first book of the 9 part mega-series. GW can edit their articles but hell no they are going to provide updated info to all retailers in case they decided to scrap the idea o 9 novels. Same with the publishing dates, it's not retailers and bookstores having incorrect dates, GW simply doesn't bother updating them about re-scheduling.

*edit: just received my copy, excited to dig in. It's not always you see people posting positive reviews of Gav's work.

Edited by theSpirea

Does it?

Traditional time dilation DOES work the way I said, yes. Warp travel CAN be different, yes.

But nitpicks aside, the larger point I made in my previous response remains: we saw that three years had passed for not only Guiliman and those travelling the warp with him, but for all of the characters in the book no matter how much time they had spent in (and in some cases completely out of) the Warp. We are told by the narrator AND in the supplemental material that we're in year four of the Indomitus Crusade.

This isn't a Sicarius situation.

This isn't a Baal situation.

This is a "we need to start wrapping this story up even if that means moving a book originally set in year one to year four" situation.

I wasn't nitpicking, I was politely disagreeing.

Travelling through the Warp as far as the Lore is concerned has always had the distinct possibility of going back or forward in time compared to realspace.

Sadly it is a concept the Black Library authors have failed to embrace. I mean imagine the logistics of organising a crusade when you don’t know how much of your fleet will arrive at the destination or when (perhaps before you set off or maybe hundreds of years later).

So far I have only read Avenging Son which was pretty good and I really liked how it aligned/tied in with Wraight’s Vaults and Watchers series. I agree with you that it will be a real shame if changes to the DoF series timeline has a negative impact on those excellent books.

Is there not a lore thing that could explain it though? Over that three years has anyone in the fleet been back to Terra? If not, does that mean their knowledge about what is happening on the Throneworld has been received via Astropaths? If so then again time shenanigans and miscommunication/interpretation can play a distinct part right?

@ DarkChaplain

"As for Grimnar being a "fool"... well, he was also a fool during the aftermath of Armageddon, when he was ready to oppose the entire Imperium. Yes, he was a principled fool who did have a point, but he literally put his Chapter into close to renegade status with the threat of Exterminatus above Fenris. And lest we forget, this was written in an AD-B novel, who was previously mentioned as the wished-for author of the Wolves . . ."

Fully agreed there...fits Grimnar's established personality and more recent arc quite well

What a read. I felt like I fought through mud for the first two thirds of this book. It was not an enjoyable experience. If it hadn’t been part of the series I would never have got to the last third. Which turned out to be awesome.

But boy was most of that book unnecessary. Return of the moons….not so sure……

There are so many story threads that are hanging loose and unlikely to be ever written. The great ork gathering under Thraka is potentially a great story but I would just love to see some stories finish. I think it highly unlikely it will come up again in the Dawn of Fire series. Perhaps Haley has someone in mind he can give it to. That would be great but given BL track record of starting things it’s unable to finish I dont hold out much hope.

Well, we already know where Thraka and Ragnar are (be)headed. But at least with The Wolftime, we also have the orks as an established secondary threat next to Chaos, showing that things have not calmed down whatsoever across the galaxy. They can tag in some orks whenever now, if they want to.

I wonder if the series also looks at the necrons? but I know that's yet another big threat. Or are they a big threat?

Being in the starter for the edition, as well as the last PA book and the new role of blackstone in the setting, suggested something big about the race - and I had wondered if that was part of the secret message in the first book. Further, Blackstone was namechecked again in The Wolftime.

But I guess for Haley, the Necrons could be more of a follow on to The Great Work?

The question is, what is the focus of the (rest) of the series? If it is the crusade, then it can literally go anywhere before the plague wars and fight anyone on the way.

A wee question; the crusade (or at least Guilliman) doesn't go beyond the Great rift until after the Plague Wars? Do dawnbreaker fleets go across before the decision by the crusade command to do so? I guess Spear of the Emperor is long after this too.

Final question, would anyone hazard a detailed timeline of all pre- and post-cadia novels like Tymell's Horus heresy timeline?

I wonder if we'll see anything regarding the Pariah Nexus, considering we got the Indomitus novel. The Pariah Nexus IS mentioned in the Dark Imperium Redux books, so there's room for it, but then, we already have a novel dealing with it. They might also just wait and tackle it with that animated series.

Guilliman indeed doesn't go across the Rift until after Godblight, but some fleet elements did. Fabian in Godblight speaks about having been across and as one of the few who has been there and returned, he expects to accompany Guilliman when he goes after the Plague Wars. In Plague War, he had tasked rogue traders and such to go make the crossing, too, but that seemed rather exploratory.

Chances are we may see Fabian's journey in a later book, as well as Viablo's scheduled death somewhere down the line, but the big push into Nihilus is a future event.

The throughline of the story is going to be Tenebrus and the Bucharis artifact, from the looks of it. There was setup for it in Avenging Son, the demonstration of the doodad's power in The Gate of Bones and now further research in The Wolftime. I wouldn't be surprised if this led back to a confrontation with Abaddon before the end. After all, from Dark Imperium, we know that Vigilus is currently happening and Calgar has been absent crossing the Rubicon Primaris, and is slated to return after Godblight. So there'd certainly be room.

The question is, what is the focus of the (rest) of the series? If it is the crusade, then it can literally go anywhere before the plague wars and fight anyone on the way.

Dark Imperium seems to clearly focus on Guilliman and Mortarion's invasion of Ultramar.

Dawn of Fire by contrast seems much less focussed. It seems to be trying to give each race a quick visit to show how they are coping in the galaxy following the opening of the great rift. The Crusade setting is quite good for this as it allows the action to hop across the Galaxy visiting all sorts of locations and known characters. If that is all the series is, it will be OK but nothing special. I am hoping that the threads of the novels will start to be tied together into a bigger picture with implications going forwards. I guess we will have to wait and see. I enjoy Haley's writing and if he is overseeing the lore now, it will be interesting to see how he paints a picture on a larger canvas.

It seems to be trying to give each race a quick visit to show how they are coping in the galaxy following the opening of the great rift.

Does it, though? Because so far, it's really just been Chaos with a short, localized ork invasion. I mean, I agree with your assessment overall, especially if that's all it's gonna be, it'll be disappointing. But I don't think we have enough of a sample size to say one way or another - or, indeed, whether the series is getting shafted and compressed for a quick wrapping-up.

Haley promised this'd be a big one, with some big shenanigans planned down the road, and I'm willing to take him at his word. He teased something big happening that we won't see coming yet, as far back as it's announcements. I think he's still laying out the board right now. The next book will likely give a much more direct vision of things to come, though.

I have no basis for this except speculation. If Black Library were hoping for another big selling series like HH then the Indomitus Crusade seems like a good idea but you are going to want to ensure you have your biggest name/selling authors attached.

Haley is apparently a big seller. Gav Thorpe, while marmite for some, is still one of the big names (hence securing a Siege of Terra slot) but going with Andy Clark for book 2...did they lose momentum/sales?

Also THE big names have been busy wrapping up SoT and THAT is still THE big headline release for BL.

Maybe fatigue has set in with fans (not helped by Covid related print delays etc)?

The series IMHO needs a Wraight or ADB or Abnett but I honestly cannot see any of them wanting to get involved (and they are big enough hitters that with SoT out of the way they can focus on pet projects).

I may being doing an injustice to the popularity of Andy Clark (no comment on his writing, just sales).

Edited by DukeLeto69

I'm pretty sure the author of the second book was already assigned and working on it before the first one was out on the market so I don't believe there's momentum/sales lost. They need to involve new writers (Rath, Crowley, etc) and stop getting Abnett into every single project. As much as I love Wraight, I'm perfectly fine if he stays out of this series and he can focus on finishing his trilogies. ADB also has plenty to finish.

If anything, GW/BL needs to look into their marketing department. If they want the DoF as big as the HH, why the heck isn't this series even advertised on their websites? (the third book has a banner on BL but it's because it just came out, before that, there was nothing). I remember seeing the first HH novels often advertised outside of WH only related sites/channels. Why aren't sci-fi magazines, book reviewers, youtubers, etc getting copies to promote it? Every other publisher does that.