Death to the False Emperor buff to all foes

WarriorFish

In case anyone missed it, GW's Balance Dataslate has a nice treat for Chaos Marines:

The Chaos Space Marines are nothing if not angry at the universe and everything in it. The fact that they now have the opportunity to generate additional attacks against ANY opponent (not just Imperium units), perfectly captures their hateful nature while offering them a welcome buff in melee.

Of course, the first thing on everyone's mind is no doubt "this is exactly what WarriorFish has said for ages, it's about time GW started listening" but after that - this is great! :biggrin.: As someone who faces more non-Imperial factions this will help me out a lot, but mostly it feels like a wrong righted :smile.:

While it would have been nice to get more this is a nice boost, all the more so as we know updates are coming next year.

Nice change, but apparently chaos marines now think everyone is an imperialist these days?  It this rules change "sticks" GW may need to find a new name for the rule when the codex rolls out.

Yeah, I basically only play against 2 friends, and they both play xenos (one plays orks, the other necrons) so this means I finally get to use it.  That said, I mostly struggle against my necron opponent, and this change won't help help prevent him from tabling me by turn 3 as usually happens.

Being a slannesh player this change is particularly nice, as it means that all the banners I put in my units actually do something now (as the slannesh banner makes DttfE trigger on a 5+), though I will probably only pay the points for the one(s) in my melee units.

It is also nicely timed to me thinking about trying a melee oriented list, what with me working on my first unit of melee noise marines. :smile.:

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Nice change, but apparently chaos marines now think everyone is an imperialist these days?  It this rules change "sticks" GW may need to find a new name for the rule when the codex rolls out.

Yeah, I basically only play against 2 friends, and they both play xenos (one plays orks, the other necrons) so this means I finally get to use it.  That said, I mostly struggle against my necron opponent, and this change won't help help prevent him from tabling me by turn 3 as usually happens.

Being a slannesh player this change is particularly nice, as it means that all the banners I put in my units actually do something now (as the slannesh banner makes DttfE trigger on a 5+), though I will probably only pay the points for the one(s) in my melee units.

It is also nicely timed to me thinking about trying a melee oriented list, what with me working on my first unit of melee noise marines. :smile.:

Yeah, Emperor's Children are going to have some fun with this for sure. Black Legion should get some mileage out of it due to First Among Traitors (pending a common sense ruling on compatibility-it says that it generates extra attacks specifically on 5+ instead of 6+ instead of "takes effect" like the Icon does). Merciless Fighters and Let the Galaxy Burn should help it along too. Now a big unit of BL Pistol/Chainsword Marines with the Mark of Khorne and a nearby Warlord can reroll charge, get in and start raking in huge numbers of hits with the above 2 stratagems, and then fight twice to do it again. Delivery is still somewhat problematic, but at least it's scary when it gets there and you have Warp Time and Apostle Prayers to help out.

I feel like Noise Marines with chainswords are the bigger winner -- more Legion options than Black Legion. 2 base attacks each, Icon of Excess for the 5+ DTTFE which can go to 4+ with Prescience.

It's a good change, for sure. Not only does it work against all enemies, but it's an automatic hit as well. My berzerkers are going to love this.

A small part of me hoped while reading the article that we'd get our wounds update, but I still expect they're leaving that for the codex so the codex can have more of an impact.

I feel like Noise Marines with chainswords are the bigger winner -- more Legion options than Black Legion. 2 base attacks each, Icon of Excess for the 5+ DTTFE which can go to 4+ with Prescience.

Absolutely. Emperor's Children and World Eaters will both get more mileage, but at least BL will be reasonably scary now.

Good point, I had forgotten about Slaanesh banners because they've been so rubbish I ignored them :tongue.: Now it's finally worth adding. That said I found my Apothecary conversion stuff from when it gave the squad a 5+++ and I'm still kind of miffed about that change...

As for 2 Wounds, GW said that comes with the new codex so it was never going to be as part of this? Less so with the new book not a million years away where the bigger changes would be. Hope is the first step and all that :laugh.: But as a taster to the sort of changes the new codex would bring..? Maybe not so unreasonable to have some hope after all :smile.:

edit: typo, that was a 5+++ not 5++ :P

Edited by WarriorFish

As an Iron Warriors player, I guess my daemon engines benefit from this change. Not much else seeing close combat these days

Daemon engines (other than the Disco Lord) don't have DttFE, sadly.

My IA is still in the mail, what about the FW dreads?
I assume you mean FW daemon engines? No, they don't have it, either. Edited by Cheex

As an Iron Warriors player, I guess my daemon engines benefit from this change. Not much else seeing close combat these days

Huh, you're right! I have apparently only been playing against xenos for too long to remember this...

Well, that makes this buff basically non-existant for me, I guess. Yay.

My IA is still in the mail, what about the FW dreads?

They don't have it

I'm positively surprised GW did anything before CA, and I'm even more surprised we got anything. I'm super happy about quarterly updated. 

As for "we're still 1 wound and we're still overcosted," our codex is likely at the printer's granted GW's 6 month print cycle. This is likely just to tidy us over a bit. 

This is, all in all, super good for everyone involved and shows GW is actually moving into the 2010s! 

• 1 month later...

I tried it out with Black Legion today, and it worked pretty well. It was a fun game against T'au playing our old 8E codices before the updates next year. It was quite nice to be applicable.

I think it should have always worked this way, though. I am no fan of faction scoped rules like that, it's also why I disliked the old DA rules that always involved Fallen. Too easy to make them not even work.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Yes, it's so much nicer now - I'd have been happy with it applying to all armies but the change to an automatic hit is very nice. I've only had the opportunity to play once with the new DttFE but it made a notable difference, my Lord got 10 attacks! I'm waiting to face a non-Imperial army to fully appreciate the change though. I've played a lot of games with this codex and I'm very ready for a new one, but this tweak should help me over the finishing line for any last games :)

I have dig up my EC out of the closet and played against the also freshly buffed necrons of my pal and i enjoy2d the buff too. Works very well on EC in my opinion. LC terminators with the icon feel fun. It also gives regular marines a bit ofa punch. Going to try biles agents next time.

Does make me wonder about more shooting CSM like IW though, as they don't benefit as much. For EC who want to be in combat its a great rule and all the more so now it has finally made the Icon worth having. Sadly it's too late for me to add these to my squads in time so I'll be waiting for the new codex to see if they're still worth doing, then see what I can make :)

Has anyone had game turning results from DttFE? I wonder how it may work in the new codex because if other codices can get their special rules applying to all units why can't CSM?