Latest rules update

McElMcNinja

So, are we in a better spot with these new rules or do you think nothing has changed?

We got neither buffs nor nerfs, which makes me think “they” think we are balanced. Honestly I struggled most against Sisters and nothing changed on that front. They just had so many MCUs running around it is hard for me to clear them all out. I haven’t played against AdMech, but it looks like we are in a better spot with them. Dark Eldar I never had a problem against nor marines.

So thoughts?

As I have yet to beat Druhkari Wytches I am pleased to see them get a nice price hike.  Overall I think we are winners as GW is showing a willingness to revise codex rules to both limit units that are too effective and boost units that are under performing.  As recipients of an early codex, I was greatly concerned about codex creep.  If Death Guard win rates start to fall off considerably we can hope for a boost through one of these quarterly updates.

Unfortunately giving us some protection vs D1 weapons or MWs is probably too much to ask for and will likely remain our greatest weakness throughout 9th.  

Admech is our bad matchup. They have many dmg1 or dmg very high shooting, which ignore our dmg-1.

This patch made GK/TSons better in meta, which is not good news to us.

It did weaken a bit Drukhari and Admech though, so even if you'll see more GK/TSons armies, we are better off. Because as you say, Admech is a rough match up and Drukhari is a real pain in the ass. I am fairly pleased although I also feel Sisters should have had a slight points hike here and there (they were lucky to stay untouched imo).

Now that this is on the table, what is the #1 thing you would like to see Death Guard receive in a quarterly Balance Datasheet?

For me, its 100% the return of the Deamon's Toll relic in its original form.  The revised relic's once per game 2+ prevent fall back is not unique (many armies have ways to prevent fallback moves, Druhkari have multiple) nor is it something you can build around as its once per game and fails 17% of the time.  The original 5++ invul aura however was something you can build around, and opens up new builds focusing on bubonic astartes units who lack an invul.   

All DG vehicles should have Disgustingly Resilient just like TS have their 5++

This. While it would certainly have been nice to have a relic which would make the Noxious bell ringer of Nurglish doom actually useful, I view the above to be the most important quick fix.

As it is the Noxious Blightbringer needs a real re-work in how it operates (it has some useless abilities like the anti-psyk bubble, which truly has not enough range to ever be useful in more than an arcane situation), and it is too expensive for the mere MV buff (which unlike the anti pysk bubble is actually very useful, just not useful enough to justify taking up a relatively expensive Virion slot).

But granting us innate DR on all vehicles would actually help a lot and maybe make some of us consider using a Land Raider once in a (rare) while. It would not save the Predator, but it would maybe save the Defiler., as well as making Rhinos quite worthwhile in many scenarios.