++ The Calamity: An Alternate Heresy Ultramarines Log ++

gallery_41766_11017_6226.jpg

I decided to have a crack at something different. Alternate Heresy Ultramarines. I will be focusing on the prideful aspects of Slaanesh's influence over the more...traditional and tentacly variety.

Here is my take on the Bringer of the Ruinstorm, Chaplain Janus. A counterpart to Erebus in the canon setting, he is the link between the Dark Prince and the Father of the Legion. This individual was responsible for orchestrating the Calamity of the Word; the near-destruction of the Word Bearers Legion lured under false pretense to Calth.

gallery_41766_11017_36534.jpg

Here is the first of my 1000pt Zone Mortalis Force "War Born". Hastati Squad Callidus, head hunters of the tunnels of Calth. Still have several members to bash together. Considering a basing for this army that consists of skulls and rubble.

gallery_41766_11017_29694.jpg

gallery_41766_11017_18540.jpg

gallery_41766_11017_8033.jpg

gallery_41766_11017_52983.jpg

gallery_41766_11017_73663.jpg

Tried some new work on 'upscaling' them. They stand at the same height as Primaris without being goofy in proportion like some of the FW Marines can seem when paired with other bits. I find the MKX shoulder plates really add some good bulk to the MKIV to make it more of a dominating silhouette. I have 2 other squads planned and already have the parts for one, just waiting on a FW order to arrive to begin working on them. The coming force is as follows:

Remus Ventanus - The Butcher of Calth

Chaplain Janus - The Herald of the Storm

Appian - Principes (MKIII Breachers w/ Power Swords)

Callidus - Hastati (MKIV w/Bolters & CCW)

Hadrius - Velites (MKIV w/Volkite Chargers)

The paint scheme for these will be an experiment in iridescent blue and gold.

Cheers!

I really like these. The upscaling way is pretty great, and I didn't realise the MK X shoulder pads were much different from other pads. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks Badger! More to come soon, just waiting on that FW order. 

I did a lot of cutting and extending with my other projects and it just all felt so tedious when I could take these fairly static marines and just elevate them slightly. It doesn't look too jarring next to other true scale stuff so it'll work from table top height to add some heft to them. I never did like how small the FW models were. 

I agree on the MK X shoulder pads, they are a lot beefier than the MK 4-7 plates for sure. They look just fine on Primaris models but they really add bulk to the smaller marks of armor. 

<does double take>

When I saw these first I thought, wow, they look nice and beefy. Are you saying all you did was put little bits of rubble under the feet and swapped shoulder pads? Great effect for minimal effort (compared with lengthening shins with plasticard spacers and other madness)!?

<does double take>

When I saw these first I thought, wow, they look nice and beefy. Are you saying all you did was put little bits of rubble under the feet and swapped shoulder pads? Great effect for minimal effort (compared with lengthening shins with plasticard spacers and other madness)!?

Right?! I've been playing around with techniques to make my first born and other such models match the height of Primaris for the impact they have on the board and this did the trick without it looking ridiculous or having to use a massive chunk of cork.

Love the concept of this - definitely something different. Looking forward to seeing these with paint on!

Thanks Charon! I'm currently waiting on my Forgeworld order to round out the squad and build the big man Ventanus himself. Then I'll work on painting. 

When it comes to basing, I'm torn and would appreciate some input from the forum. Set during the thickest fighting of Calth, I am considering either "imperial/roman" ruins or mud,blood,and SKULLS. I'm talking a veritable shag carpet of bone and teeth. 

I'll also be doing some palette tests that'll I'll post up here for a color scheme that I'd love to get some feed back on. 

FW are as usual taking their sweet time. 

• 3 weeks later...
Calth.

It became a byword for slaughter. Murder. Evil.

One that Appian would wear with pride upon his armor, his skin, and his soul.

gallery_41766_11017_80888.jpg

Monarchia should have been message enough to the XVIIth Legion; the humiliation of being forced to kneel before Guilliman and the Emperor whilst their city burned should have crushed their spirit. It did not.

Appian expected the Wolves or the Sons to be sent to tame the Five Hundred worlds, not the Word Bearers. It was poetic and a fitting end to the song of Lorgar. Appian took a very personal pleasure in hunting their officers down and challenging them to single combat amongst the radiation winds whilst his Principes watched.

gallery_41766_11017_5720.jpg

Any who refused the challenge were gunned down on the spot by Callidus and his Hastati. Those who accepted died on their feet and he took their swords to decorate his chambers. He took their skin to decorate his battle plate. Janus took their souls to feed the storm.

His Principes followed in his wake hacking and cutting and killing. Appian would remember the smell and sounds of the days on Calth before they cracked the sun and burnt the planet to a crisp. He enjoyed those days. He didn't enjoy the darkness so much, the hunting in the bowels of the planet, the roach stomping. That was Hastati work and it bored him. He considered it droll. Without honor.

gallery_41766_11017_36064.jpg

It was message enough to the Emperor, to burn the surface with his Word Bearer children upon it. To Horus. To them all. Come to our Empire, challenge our King, and we will kill the very stars themselves to erase you.

gallery_41766_11017_28939.jpg

After all if the Sons of Ultramar were willing to sacrifice one of their beloved worlds, what then would they do to the homes of their enemies?

Appian couldn't wait to find out.

gallery_41766_11017_63295.jpg

------

WIP of Appian, Tessarius of the Principes of the War Born. For tabletop he is the Sergeant of my Breacher Power-sword Unit.

Let me know what you think!

Great mix of parts and armour. That crest is excellent, really just takes the standard Ultramarine look and gives it a little chaos tweak!

Thanks Pearson! I definitely want to push the prideful aspect of Slaanesh over anything with tentacles and tiddies. 

Lovely model   :thumbsup:

Thank you Unknown! 

We think it‘s excellent! 

Thank you very much Xin! 

I've got a mock up of Remus Ventanus slapped together with a Warp Banner. Still tweaking it before I post here, my instagram has some sneak peeks though. I'm also going to migrate this thread over to the WIP Forge as its easier for me to keep all my threads updated there. 

Edited by NomadPainting