Starting with Abaddon the Large!

Domhnall

I've been thinking it's a good idea to start a 'WIP' thread on here to hopefully motivate (read: Force!) myself to actually paint some of my pile of shame! I've got many figures to paint up, a couple of diorama's I've had ideas for, as well as many other non-40k models to be done. 

However, I'm going to start with the oldest model that I have for now, because having a model half finished for about 20 years is getting ridiculous! So, without further ado, I present to you, Abaddon the large! 

Abaddon Upload   17.11.21

It's the Collectors edition Abaddon from back in the early days of Forge world when they did large scale figures and busts (I've also got the large space marine that needs finishing). 

It's been worked on over the years, but I've always put it off until "I can do it justice" or some other vague time in the future. So after 4 (or is it 5) different changes to the paints range, That time is now! 

Where are we at? 

So far, the base is complete, as is the face (with the exception of maybe fixing his eyes that don't look in the same direction...). Base layers have been applied, though a couple of recolours are required because times have changed! 

I'll upload more pictures as I complete areas of the model, and hopefully more models after that! 

Also, I've emailed GW community team in the hopes of maybe finding out if they have any interesting information on this model, as 20 years on I'm mostly going on half remembered tid bits and whatever I can find online which may or may not be accurate. 

• 1 month later...

Abaddon - 19.01.22

I've have been working on the black armour recently on this one. The blue area of the sword needs more work, as the little faces aren't standing out as much as I'd like. I'll upload again, once the black armour is finished. 

Also note the crushed white T-shirt as a back ground (this was taken at 11.30 last night, and it's all I had). This obviously represents the defence of Cadia that was crushed under Abaddons forces. :sweat:

Abaddon   25.01.22

Change of plan on the black armour, as I wasn't keen on the way the lining looked around the edges (works fine on standard scale, not so much larger scales). 

So this time, I've gone more traditional style, tested out on the two panels on the rear of the right leg. It looks much better, and I'll go with this style for the rest. Maybe by the time I've finished, I'll have a steadier hand! :biggrin.:

• 3 weeks later...

Abaddon   22.02.20

More updates! Yeay! 
I've been working on the red of the belt and fist, the piping and cabling, and the bronze trim. Next it'll be the steel coloured area and trophy rack. Hopefully not too long until it's finished, and I'll get some proper photos done for it! 

Photo was taken with natural sunlight for a change. Though in the shade for better lighting. I'll get the tripod and better camera out for the finished product!