Mithril's AI - Wip's,finished & Batreps.

Morning Lads,

seeing peoples stuff here has inspired me again to paint some tiny planes :happy.: ... I finished my ork units but have only done the T-Bolts for the imps. so i have started on my Marauders last night , I want them to look like Natural metal B-17's so stay tuned...

they are small models so thank goodness i reckon i can finish one within a week :blush.: ...

med_gallery_9146_3140_466019.jpg

basecoat and pin washing is happening.

here are my T-Bolts... not sure if I've shown em before !?...

med_gallery_9146_3140_249192.jpg

And these are the style for my Imperial bases...

med_gallery_9146_3140_826526.jpg

Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

Quick Update -

med_gallery_9146_3140_1610108.jpg

Got some yellow down and also some death world forest on engine's and canopy front -anti glare if i recall ? , put white into the canopies ready for some blue contrast tonight, some highlights and some exhaust wash and it'll be done :happy.: then i'll start painting the second one...

thanks for the replies guys !

@lamebeard - the blue/grey T-Bolt is to be used as an Ace (the colour was Thunder Hawk Blue) if i get any more they'll be the standard metallic look with the green

@ Master C - i wanted the bases to look like they were WWII Cockpit dials ?!?... (also thanks to your posting i got reinvigorated to paint my AI again :wink: )

Cheers, Mithril

@ Master Ciaphas - update time :

Since i'm not going to get my Orks done for the Orktober challenge i have drowned my sorrows by starting on the second Bomber (while i continue to paint my orks :sweat: )

base coats down....

med_gallery_9146_3140_121154.jpg

* you can see some more work on the first bomber in the background, will be doing highlight detail work on both at the same time...

Cheers, Mithril

Yeah, i was thinking of green B-17 when i started on the second one.. :biggrin.:

I only have the Wings of vengeance boxset, trying to finish painting now :teehee: , My mate just purchased for me the "Skies of fire" Boxset (for Christmas)

And I have ordered  the "Wrath of Angels" Boxset myself (A Christmas gift to myself :blush.: ) I also have both campaign books but alas the cards were sold out too quickly for me early on...:ermm:

I'm Going to paint up all the aircraft from each set and play them all and see which factions/aircraft my mates and I like to play and probably continue to build up my fleet from there... What i know is that I do want a Thunderhawk no matter what and some more Valkyries (they are simply the coolest looking AI models to date :cool.:

Will also be getting a Neoprene Mat to use instead of the "Standard" GW one, Oh and definitely Getting the Necron stuff when it drops next year !!!,  

AI to me is like AT is to you... your main game , although one day in the future AT would be kinda nice to get :wub:  

Hopefully an update with a finished plane or two after this weekend :sweat:

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

Hail!

Seems you have an impressive collection there already! Have you bought any of the Ground Assets for them? 

Which card sets are you missing? 

The Necron planes shown so far do indeed look awesome! I would be tempted to get that box...but I would rather convince a friend who already plays 40K Necrons to pick it up :-D

I will look forward to your update next week!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

@ Master Ciaphas -  Greetings.

I got some more work done on My B-17 Marauder on the weekend, not quite finished yet, hopefully pic's tomorrow :thumbsup:

I'm definitely going to look into getting the ground assets soon as they look great and will add to the table top for theme and gameplay, i was thinking of using some of the spare imperial rockets from the bombers and thunderbolt sprues.. and making some  Astartes AA batteries with them and some small gubbinz from my 40K stuff... 

the card sets I have are the Ork and Imperials from the first box set...the rest (Eldar,Marine,T'au & Astra Militarum) have been very elusive indeed...it's like there's lotsa plane boxes out there but no card sets ...go figure :huh.: ... I know they are on FLEA Bay but i don't wish to pay above GW costs which those sellers are asking...

Cheers, Mithril

the card sets I have are the Ork and Imperials from the first box set...the rest (Eldar,Marine,T'au & Astra Militarum) have been very elusive indeed...it's like there's lotsa plane boxes out there but no card sets ...

Have you tried small obscure retailers? I picked up a copy of the T'au cards from a small FLGS-type retailer last month (I didn't like the T'au models until I realised they were basically Vulkan bombers :tongue.:), so it might still be possible to get them at a sensible price. :smile.: (and yes, it is exceptionally annoying when GW does stuff like this...)

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

@Firedrake Cordova - I'll start looking in small gaming stores over the holidays (should be a fun adventure actually) 

I guess if i can't find them i can scan the images in the books and shrink em down and print em off and laminate them :sweat:

Mithril

I guess if i can't find them i can scan the images in the books and shrink em down and print em off and laminate them :sweat:

To be honest, it shouldn't be difficult to create a fillable PDF form ... I may have a look and see if I can make a blank aircraft card at some point.

small update -

nearly finished the marauders, got to Paint the bombs/rockets do some washes and weathering and decals and they'll be done.

med_gallery_9146_3140_993721.jpgmed_gallery_9146_3140_1149187.jpg

I went to go and order one of Those tablewar mats for AI... But when i hit checkout the shipping cost was one and a half times the price of the Mat itself ...:blink.:

what the ?!?!... i guess I'll be trying to find a mat more local to me :sweat:

Going to play some AI at a mates this weekend (first game with Painted figures!!) ill post a mini bat rep on Monday :thumbsup:

Cheers, Mithril

++EDIT++ Apologies for the yellowy washed out images....

Edited by mithrilforge

Mini update -

Underside washed and done, it's just enough to make it stand out underneath (it's not like your going to see it at all...unless your gaming table is 5 foot high and made of Glass... :huh.: )

med_gallery_9146_3140_192836.jpg

@ Master Ciaphas - It'll only be a small game, but yes, I will include the rosters :thumbsup: (Must double remind myself to take pics Now :tongue.: )

Cheers, Mithril

Hail, Mithril!

Certainly nice work! I wholeheartedly agree with your approach - a wash on these is enough; the models are sooo small, and sooo detailed, that you can easily go down the rabbit hole, trying to do everything! 

I think it has turned out really well! 

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

PS - a friendly reminder to remember to take pictures of your bat rep ;-)

Didn't manage to finish the marauder this morning, will be staying up tonight to do some decals, 

@ Master Ciaphas - yes yes I will definitely remember to take pics :sweat:   and yes so much detail on these little planes, you could spend much much more time on them than you needed to...(unless that was your thing and you wanted to Eavy metal the thing :cool.: )

Cheers, Mithril 

Once in a while it is perfectly fair to go "Eavy Metal on a mini - especially if it is a centerpiece model (like say the Thunderhawk for AI) or because you feeling like it. Most of the time, though, I think the time is better spent getting something to "Good Enough", rather than losing sleep over not having highlighted the left headlight three times... :-)

Bat Rep 100pt Dogfight.

Ok so on the weekend i played a Game of AI with a mate, unfortunately due to a real life family commitment that popped up in the middle / early third of the game...We only got to play 2 full turns so not sure how it would've turned out!.

I will say we had a blast playing so will definitely be playing a lot more... I think it went as expected ( I've seen games where the whole board was cleared in 2 turns and some where it went 12 turns with only minor casualties (a frustrating game indeed)

anyways here are the pics i remembered to take ...

Table Setup-

med_gallery_9146_3140_242831.jpg

Rosters -

Imperial Ork

med_gallery_9146_3140_290827.jpgmed_gallery_9146_3140_1939452.jpg

Imperials (my mate)- 1x Marauder Bomber(green) ,1x Marauder Destroyer(Silver) with Skyfire missiles, 1x ThunderBolt and 1x ThunderBolt Fury both with skyfire Missiles.

Orks (my force)- 3x Dakka Jets with Rokkits, 2x Fighta Bomba's each with Big Shoota's

Turn 1 Setup -

med_gallery_9146_3140_29839.jpg

I won the Initiative roll off and chose to go first....

All of my planes were at altitude 4 and going max speed (we are orks afterall) and if i recall the Imp's were flying at Alt 5, and roughly speed 3-4.

Turn 1 Movement -

med_gallery_9146_3140_468768.jpg

* I did some "In your face Flying..hey! we're orks...we love that :tongue.: . I was going a tad fast though so dakka jet Red flies straight past the marauder ! my 2 other dakka's and the Bomba's get good positions.

My mate was Flying his bombers at Alt 4 and fighters were doing HAVCAP at Alt 5 but realised he was going to have - modifiers if he stayed above so had to descend at the end of his movement and thusly he sped up one click.

Shooting Turn 1 -

med_gallery_9146_3140_635176.jpg

I shot first here and scored some wounds(5) but no kills, My mate also scored some wounds(4) but also no kills, if i recall he burnt through all his missiles with no hits and i got one hit with a rokkit. So end of turn one finished with no kills.

* (I need to point out here that I got a text message requesting a real life pick up at a certain time by the wife & son, thus shortening the game considerably)

Turn 2 end of game -

med_gallery_9146_3140_1150079.jpg

Ok I won initiative again and forced my opponent to go first, there was some cool flying manoeuvres going on with most machines trying their top turns! :thumbsup:

I ended up taking out his Thunderbolt and he my yellow dakka jet , the last shots of the turn saw me finish off his marauder destroyer with a rokkit on the last roll!!

All in all im sure the game may have gone a lot different if it had continued but a victory to the Orks was declared ....

A rematch is in order....

Mithril

Also - managed to pick up my Copy of Wrath of Angels before Christmas :wub: so putting them together, maybe paint some up over Christmas !

med_gallery_9146_3140_61466.jpg

The Night Wings are very cool looking models, I went with Scatter lasers for this guy/gal :sweat: is going to get up in other flyers grills :biggrin.: ...or more specifically tailing them :cool.:

Cheers, Mithril

Hail

Excellent writeup, Mithril. Thank you for that - and thank you for the pictures as well. Good to see that you remembered ;-)

I will look forward to seeing that Eldar plane with paint thrown on (no, seriously, don't throw it on...do it all tender Eldar-like :-))

By the way - the shops here in Denmark are still carriying the Adeptus Astartes and Eldar card packs...

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Hail master Ciaphas,

Hmm I have a source for the Eldar cards lined up but not the marines… what’s the price like over there..with conversion to Aus dollars and postage etc !, also they’re in English right ?!?… lol

Cheers Mithril

p.s. no throwing of paint , I promise !!