Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Possible strat dynamic?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Inquisitor_Lensoven

Inquisitor_Lensoven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,994 posts
  • Faction: Paenito Angelus, Black Dragons
So just had an idea for an interesting way to revamp strats or make strats more interesting.

So say you have a fight first strat for 1CP and your opponent has a fight last for 1CP. In this case they’d cancel out and combat would be decided as normal.
If your fight first strat is 1 CP and their fight last strat is 2CP their start would take precedence, and so on.

And maybe just a set of general canceling strats ranging from 1-3CP?

Would anyone be down for fewer overall strats but they have a dynamic like this?
The answer is on the floor -Shihan John Roseberry

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,313 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

People are already complaining about how gamey/ gotcha/ unbalanced the strats we have now are. I think this would only exacerbate matters further "Not so fast! you have activated my stratagem stratagem!" style meme we would be best without. 

• MARK0SIAN and Putrid Choir like this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,171 posts
Yeah, it already feels more like you’re playing some sort of card game more than a war game at the moment, I think this would just exacerbate that issue.
  • Interrogator Stobz, Brother Cristopher and Putrid Choir like this

gallery_86689_11936_21517.pngsml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,374 posts

I'm going to move this over to homegrown rules, which is a more appropriate location for this discussion. 

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pnggallery_58096_13272_607.pnggallery_48988_17207_10696.png

Xenos XX\

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,568 posts
  • Pronouns:he/him
  • Faction: White Scars, Mantis Warriors

I can't see the number of Stratagems in the game dropping or the way they interact being changed dramatically.

What I'd like to see is Stratagems being selected in the Army/List building phase so you're committed to them before the game starts.

For example with my White Scars at 2000 points I have 12 Command Points, so I decide to purchase:

• 2x Relic of the Chapter = 2CP
  • 1x Hero of the Chapter = 1CP
  • 1x Only in Death Does Duty End = 2CP
  • 2x Transhuman Physiology (5 man) = 2CP
  • 1x Adaptive Strategy = 2CP
  • 1x Fierce Rivalries = 1CP
  • 2x Encirclement = 2CP

That's it, I've bought them, that's what I have. Any "Bonus Command Points" gained during the game either at the start of each turn or through Warlord Traits etc can only be spent on "CORE STRATAGEMS" from the main rulebook.

Rik

• Tawnis likes this

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

Check out my White Scars here

Find me on Instagram here

Tawnis

Tawnis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 43 posts
  • Pronouns:he/him
  • Faction: Void Rangers (Space Marines)

I can't see the number of Stratagems in the game dropping or the way they interact being changed dramatically.

What I'd like to see is Stratagems being selected in the Army/List building phase so you're committed to them before the game starts.

For example with my White Scars at 2000 points I have 12 Command Points, so I decide to purchase:

• 2x Relic of the Chapter = 2CP
  • 1x Hero of the Chapter = 1CP
  • 1x Only in Death Does Duty End = 2CP
  • 2x Transhuman Physiology (5 man) = 2CP
  • 1x Adaptive Strategy = 2CP
  • 1x Fierce Rivalries = 1CP
  • 2x Encirclement = 2CP

That's it, I've bought them, that's what I have. Any "Bonus Command Points" gained during the game either at the start of each turn or through Warlord Traits etc can only be spent on "CORE STRATAGEMS" from the main rulebook.

Rik

Ohhh, I really like this idea. I was going to suggest something like a one use of each per game, but this seems WAY more interesting! 

• Rik Lightstar likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users