Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Grimdarkish" Berzerkers, and DTTFE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 16,223 posts

Hey folks,

Since the update to the basic DTTFE rules, I have been pulling out squads of Berzkerkers in my Black Legion lists.

They haven't been doing stellar stuff as 'fight twice' is a lot harder to pull off in 9th (So I'm hoping they change how this works for WE in December).

In doing the above, I found I really, really missed my old Daemonkin. What an incredibly fun codex that was. I don't think we'll ever see anything like that again. Blood Tithe points, etc. 

Anyway what I started doing was pulling out my old Zerkers, some going back to that horrible kit, and some as recent as Daemonkin.

I decided I did not want to do my super bright, neat paint scheme this time. I want a bit of a darker look, without going over board. I'm hoping to put some examples up of what I'm trying to work through, but in the meantime does anyone have anything they did that has that kind of theme? I'd love to see it.

• Juggernut, Sarvis and tinpact like this

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,374 posts

I have some zerkers in the 'to do' pile, but they'll be part of my Iron Warriors, so in IW colours, maybe a red helm, and grimy. 

• Prot likes this

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pnggallery_58096_13272_607.pnggallery_48988_17207_10696.png

Xenos XX\

Tallarn Commander

Tallarn Commander

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 995 posts

My Daemon Prince Azrath has an armguard armor piece that is a fairly dark paint scheme

gallery_88062_14499_63987.jpg

It's a basecoat of Ironbelcher metal, then I varnished it with matte varnish, then I used AK Interactive chipping solution (although salt and hairspray would work just as well), then a basecoat of Khorne Red, then I chipped off some of the red, then I varnished it again, and then I hit it with a couple of coats of black wash.

My Blood Slaughterers have fewer bright red highlights than most of my other World Eaters models too.

gallery_88062_14499_303322.jpg

However, I don't think my overall World Eaters army is particularly dark.

gallery_88062_14499_106217.jpg

Good luck on your effort to make more grimdark World Eaters!

Burn, maim, kill

• Prot and Juggernut like this

My Chaos Blog (Night Lords, World Eaters, Renegades & Heretics)    http://www.bolterand...ds-vs-tallarns/

My Imperial Guard Blog (Tallarn 23rd)   http://www.bolterand...larn-23rd-blog/

gallery_30308_9518_8793.jpggallery_30308_9518_10060.jpgCall_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01b.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Chaos.jp

Irate Khornate

Irate Khornate

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 368 posts
  • Faction: Chaos, Tyranids
I do a brass scorpion base coat, Flesh Tearers red contrast over the parts I want red, black templar over the tubing, leadbelcher cabling/chainmail/chainsaw teeth, rakarth flesh for skin, then give it a coat of nuln oil.

Gives it a very heavy industry grime look, that sometimes comes out a bit shiney.
  • Prot likes this

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 16,223 posts

I have some zerkers in the 'to do' pile, but they'll be part of my Iron Warriors, so in IW colours, maybe a red helm, and grimy. 

Yes! For sure that works... I remember back when I was the local "iron warrior guy" (I literally was just known by that name at events) I had a few giant squads of Zerkers going in my IW. That's back when it was known that they hung out together quite frequently!

Some great stuff to look at. Great inspiration Commander!

Here's what I came up with. I just revisited some of my older Daemonkin models, slapped some stuff together where needed, and started using a process I came up with on my White Scars. I just expanded on it...

WE-zerkers-Hold-My-Beer-prot.jpg?w=903&s

I plopped my WIP crowe down just for comparison of 'new' old marines, vs very old.

WE-zerkers-x4-prot.jpg?w=1199&ssl=1

- Oils/Enamels. Then a reducer... isopropyl/mineral spirits (depending on the medium). 

WE-zerkers-Close-up-1-prot.jpg?resize=76

Added sponge chipping, went back in with focused highlights.

And I took out one of my oldest World Eaters (metal) models for comparison of my 'grimdark' vs my old technique:

WE-zerkers-Vs-OLD-AND-CHEERYr-prot.jpg?r

I do like how it turned out. Not quite a fast as I'd hoped, but I can probably shave a few steps off. 

• Brother nathan, Juggernut, Tallarn Commander and 1 other like this

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

Ulfast

Ulfast

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 549 posts

I love your new take on the world eaters. Good work. Would love to see more. Are you  planing to game with them too?

I also totally agree with you about the Khorne daemonkin codex. It´s was so great and fun. First time it was fun to lose your own models! I do wish GW would bring it back in some form. I still have the codex at home. 

Brother nathan

Brother nathan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,900 posts
  • Faction: Storm Angels

some nice examples here. i do subscribe to that world eaters never repainted their armour ut are so drenched in blood which is why they are what they pear now. i plan when i do ones for my iron warriors to pant them in their metal colours then heavily splatter them and gore drench them in a way so you see red bezerkers before you realise they were iron warriors underneath... must et around to my tester models to try it out mind. 

They stand against the coming storm, they are not buffeted by war, the thunder of guns does not shake them, nor do the rains drench their spirits,
for they are the true storm and they shall not be denied! For the Emperor and Sanguinius they will fight!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users