Rank and painting question

templargdt

Question for the forum.

I'm working on my vanguard vets for knightfall, and I put the terminator honors Pauldron on the models. Do I have to paint them as sword brethren or can a Templar earn terminator honors without being inducted? Thanks.

Veterans have been specifically noted in the new codex as their own thing, and that it is usually from the Veterans in which SB are chosen. So you could totally have a Vet who has done the rounds and has experience in TDA, Jump Assault, CQB, and not be a SB. The codex also states that there are some who purposefully stay in their rank and do not ascend to SB status even though they could be inducted.

All hail the codex.

EDIT: ALSO of note, the original 4th ed Codex listed Terminators and Sword Brethren Terminators as separate units. 

Edited by TheOneTrueZon

EDIT: ALSO of note, the original 4th ed Codex listed Terminators and Sword Brethren Terminators as separate units. 

I believe you're mistaken here

We had three terminator squad entries. all with Sword Brethren in their name:

Sword Brethren Terminator Command Squad,

Sword Brethren Terminator Squad and

Sword Brethren Terminator Assault Squad.

Only real difference between the first two entries was that the command squad was listed as specifically having a sergeant (and so has a power weapon instead of a fist), and it was bought under command as an addon to a commander.

The 4th book even specifically said that only Sword Brethren were trained how to use TDA.

That's obviously been watered down in the Primaris age.

Can't let firstborn have cool units anymore with swordbrothers! nope, only primaris can be the ultra cool guys now, with everyone looking up to them. If GW wanted better integration and fan acceptance, then giving all vets the sword brother key words would have been easy.

still painting my vanguard vets as sword brothers tho

Edited by Tiger9gamer