magnetizing and drill bits

hey again guys, I am having some struggles magnetizing my models. Currently I am trying my luck on a space marine commander to give them a storm shield and either a thunder hammer or relic blade. problem is... my hand drill doesn't hold the drilling bits too well. No matter what it seems the drill slips down into the base, or I can't find an actual right bit in order to fit the drill into. any help or suggestions?

Could it be that there is a second bracket which could hold the drill bit tighter? When I got my hand drill, I found that second bracket inside the back end of the hand drill itself, after screwing it open...

Don't know if I understood your question 100 % correctly though...

Edited by ranulf the revenant

Yeah same here @Ranulf - I completely forgot about the different grabber. Once I found it kicking around my bits box I can now go up to 3mm drill bit again.

@Tiger - notice we are both talking about pin vice drills - ie you can hold with one hand. I assume this is what you’ve got. Should come with two of what I’m calling the “grabber” - ie the piece that holds the drill bit instead of a Chuck. And each should be reversible. So that should give you options for holding the drill bit more snuggly.

To get 3mm drill bit I had to raid my DIY tool box though, pin vice drill bits probably only go to 2mm. What magnets you got?

Edited by LameBeard

Yeah same here @Ranulf - I completely forgot about the different grabber. Once I found it kicking around my bits box I can now go up to 3mm drill bit again.

@Tiger - notice we are both talking about pin vice drills - ie you can hold with one hand. I assume this is what you’ve got. Should come with two of what I’m calling the “grabber” - ie the piece that holds the drill bit instead of a Chuck. And each should be reversible. So that should give you options for holding the drill bit more snuggly.

To get 3mm drill bit I had to raid my DIY tool box though, pin vice drill bits probably only go to 2mm. What magnets you got?

yea, this is what I got, I think it's Gale force 9 or something. I noticed the grabber in the lower section of the drill and found that, but still it seems the actual drils are either too big or too small to hold this. I dunno the size of the magnets because I kinda just threw everything together.

I have multiple different drill pin vices of different quality and sizes, some grip well and others not so much. Engineering shows are a great place to find these sorts of things. I found it best to get a high quality drill bit for the most used sizes and then found the best vice for each so I could tighten them right up. I keep a spare vice for switching in all the rather small drill bits that break a lot.

This version of GW's Pin Vice has two double ended chucks, the largest of which will take a 3mm bit

DCT-PVS.png

TH1772-pin-viceImageMain-515.jpg

This is what I use, old faithful, for the last 20 years. 3mm mag held quite tightly, it'll hold a 2mm, but you'll have to screw it down tight as I recall. For 5mm, I use an actual drill on low torque...

I have the same old pin vice as above. I only realised in the last few years that the 'extra' chuck in it was different when I wanted to use a 3mm bit I stole from my Bosch set (masonry one i think) - fits absolutely fine and works perfectly well on models for making holes for magentising.

The older pin vise, like above, works decently and I used to have it as my main tool for drilling. Now however, I've drifted to using one similar to the linked below, which uses a integrated three-claw chuck rather than the older's detachable chucks. I've found it grips better and works for any bit that I use.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOTOOLHOME-Precision-Model-Drill-Twist/dp/B010BV7190

Edited by Lord_Ikka

I found one of these http://https://hobbytechtoys.com.au/products/tamiya-fine-pin-vise-0-1-1-0mm?gclid=CjwKCAiAwKyNBhBfEiwA_mrUMv3Xy2gqSVo4UIWDW_PcritGvI9YHQDgwQmqZLzsiSq8j5ydec8X-xoC7bcQAvD_BwE at my FLGS. It’s designed for holding smaller than usual drill pieces than your usual regular sized pin vices. Was definitely a good investment. Note that the site i linked to is not where I got mine, I just did a google search and found this listing, you should be able to find one on a website in your country, and may even be able to find one in a brick and mortar hobby store or FLGS if you don’t mind searching around.

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants