Painting Deathwing question ...

Helias_Tancred

Aargh, now I'm more confused, Duncan presented an entirely new recipe and method ... lolololol. 

I based all of mine in Zandri Dust.

I was going to use Seraphim Sepia (most likely), then Screaming Skull, whereas he uses Pallid Which Flesh!

I may use PWF as edge highlighting as he did but over the Screaming Skull?

/too many choices

i go with agrax earthshade over a undercoated of skeletton bone from Army painter. from there I repaint everything with ushabti bone. very thin layers. like 4 or 5 thinned down layers actually.

here is before / after photo

totors12.jpg

and what it give at the end

20190310.jpg

I start with Mournfang Brown, and use Agrax Earthshade over that, then blend up from there - my Deathwalkers don’t have full bone armor like Deathwing though, just bone support struts and helms.

It all really depends on what look you want to get - I prefer high contrast with a pretty dark starting point for the recesses, which I don’t feel is what the GW method gets you with Seraphim Sepia.

You could also do a three layer shade blend, where you do a broad Seraphim Sepia shade first, then a more controlled 1:1 blend of Agrax:Seraphim, and then a final shade only in the extreme recesses with pure Agrax Earthshade, and then blend up from there.

I also like blending up from Mournfang Brown -> 1:1 Mournfang:Zandri ->  Zandri Dust -> Morghast Bone -> Ushtabi Bone -> Screaming Skull -> Wraithbone ->. 1:1 Wraithbone:White.  I may remove/slim down the layers depending on the size of the item I’m painting in this fashion - larger surfaces may actually get more layers with blended colors between these even.

• 3 weeks later...
I still have and use flesh wash... whats that, 20 years old? Over any pale basecoat (from bleached bone to deneb stone to whatever bone/blonde at hand) then lighten it up with the same base coat. What brings it together in the end is white edge highlights and the detail of the weapons and decals. And the base. When you base them consistently all the minor differences of base coat blend in to make them not noticeable.

Well, as you can see there are many ways to get the bone armour. The difference between each result is not that obvious. I go Sepia if I want a bright scheme, usually on cream cloakes and the like. While I use Agrax for aged bone, like skulls and stained cloth. Recently I've mixed up a couple of pots of Agrax and Sepia in a 50:50 ratio to get a nice middle ground for any future projects, because I couldn't get Army Painter's Mid brown in my local store. So if that is the colour that you have, by all means use it!

Edit: If we're talking recipes, I go Rakarth Flesh - Shade of your choice - Ushabti bone - Screaming skull - Ulthuan grey. If I want a more subtle blend, then I do the shade after the Ushabti instead of before, and tidy it up afterwards with a couple of thinned layers.

Edited by Chaplain Grey Raven

Well, as you can see there are many ways to get the bone armour. The difference between each result is not that obvious. I go Sepia if I want a bright scheme, usually on cream cloakes and the like. While I use Agrax for aged bone, like skulls and stained cloth. Recently I've mixed up a couple of pots of Agrax and Sepia in a 50:50 ratio to get a nice middle ground for any future projects, because I couldn't get Army Painter's Mid brown in my local store. So if that is the colour that you have, by all means use it!

Edit: If we're talking recipes, I go Rakarth Flesh - Shade of your choice - Ushabti bone - Screaming skull - Ulthuan grey. If I want a more subtle blend, then I do the shade after the Ushabti instead of before, and tidy it up afterwards with a couple of thinned layers.

I' ve got some AP Mid Brown. So you're saying that's good on Deathwing? I'll be using Ushabti and Screaming Skull.

I' ve got some AP Mid Brown. So you're saying that's good on Deathwing? I'll be using Ushabti and Screaming Skull.

You can't go wrong with any of the Sepia/brown washes. I mixed up my shades to get a close match to AP Mid Brown for a nice middle ground. So yeah, your wash would be great for Deathwing.

I personally prefer my terminators to be a little more....dirty? That vibrant bonewhite is a bit too much. Pics are not that good (I suck at it). Its a bit of a hurdle to go there and I use the

mecha army colours and washes.

What I am trying to say is, that a couple sephia layers will give them that skeleton look but still it will be too bright. I would prefer the earthshade look as well, had I wanted something lighter.

244756350 368538891618679 1638320820875638458 N

245043524 956954575032472 6288085993428147098 N