*BatRep* Raven Guard vs Tau | Legends & Lore

Legends&Lore

I love these guys work, and this was no exception. I love how each player sets out what they want to do each turn and aim to achieve, seriously, this is like a slightly 40k in 40 minutes with a little banter and a bit more explanation. Yeah, the list was non-meta, (as are the factions to be honest), but that was good to see as well in my opinion. 

That said... the dice... OMG... the dice gods cursed the sons of Corax that day! :( 

Well, not meta for the time being. Yes, this was a well done video, they are both decent guys. Still, just wait until the Tau officially get the 36" AP-1 Pulse Rifles. That 100% came from Tau players wailing and gnashjng their teeth over Bolt Rifles being 30" and AP-1. Waaah, we lost our range advantage on our troops! Waaaah, we need -1AP on our most basic weapons too.

I realize appeasing their most "sensitive" player base is only half the reason GW made these changes. They are trying to incentivize Tau players to diversify their lists, and treat Fire Warriors as more than a troop tax. I get the range increase, that and overwath are their big gimmicks. But I really hope the AP-1 goes away. The first point of AP essentially cancels the bonus to armor save from the benefit of light cover. Now, with massed AP-1 and I am sure there will be an "ignores the benefit of cover" mechanic in the new Tau Codex, that is just bad news all around. Most likely marker lights to remove the benefit of cover, a big blob of Fire Warriors next to a Cadre Fireblade for Volley Fire (conditional extra shot I believe). To me, these changes inly enable the lowest common denominator of the Tau players. How? An obnoxious behavior of Tau players is ignoring the mission, and objectives, and just trying to table you, and being trolls about it. At least the recent missions let you win on Victory points even if you are "tabled" or left with barely any models on the field.

Now, on the positive side. Fire Warriors are T3 with a 4+. They NEED cover and range. Keep them honest on range! I have had no shortage of games where Tau players try to stay at the edge of their range, and not every model in the unit will be in range, and more than half the time only a few models up front can shoot at a given unit. Flamer Invictors will be the bane of any Pathfinders deployed up front, so be sure and drop them after the Pathfinders are deployed, and hope you go first. Even if you don't, target selection is rhe linchpin of Tau "strategy" and pressuring to shoot at certain units when they would rather shoot at others is very disruptive and frustrating to them.

Suppressors, I am hoping, will be released as a multi part kit the same time, or shortly after the Tau codex drops, even better, give the Suppressors Las Talons as a weapon option. The Las Talons get a special name, and a rule where after you shoot at a vehicle or monster, it is treated as one tier lower on the damage chart until your next command phase. That would be hilarious!