Crusade of Shame - Grimaldus

SkimaskMohawk

This is going to follow my Knightfall vow and the avoidance of the mark of failure.

The title is mostly in reference to the pile of shame that I'm trying to use as motivation to do a black templars army; my knightfall vow is maybe a third of all my unpainted/built models (I have 4 repulsors, as an example lol). It also refers to my ability of playing 9th after taking breaks from it and getting rusty, as I make some truly shameful choices. But that's getting better as I play more games. And why not, let's say it's inspired by Dorn's shame of letting the Emperor and His Imperium die when he was supposed to be the Praetorian.

For my scheme I'm doing a grimdark/blanchitsu style. It makes painting a larger amount of models pretty easy, and lets me have some fun with parts of the model that break out from that style.

First up, and ironically not part of Knightfall due to starting it after vow, but pre-picture; the Emperor's Champion. I find the nmm black sword a little overdone, so I went for a true-metal attempt instead. It still has some high contrast where the light hits it, but you can see that in the shadowed parts it gets closer to a blackened iron. 

First picture uses a night sight setting that was wonderful, but failed to pick up the blood effects on the armour, the rest are a normal setting with lights on.

Forgive me for the picture size... 

1125403-.jpg

1125404-.jpg1125405-.jpg1125406-.jpg

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

A couple of updates today, one being a group of finished minis and the rest being most of the characters for Knightfall.

I wrapped up two units of 5 assault intercessors (one of which is part of my vow!) a couple of days ago and am just getting around to migrating pictures over here. They're pretty bare bones; I tried to spice some up with purity seals and liberal use of script, but they aren't decked out in BT aesthetics. I gave them red trim for close support, which I think is pretty correct (assault marines get it, so the primaris guys should have it too right?), and also plays nice with the blanchitsu vibe I'm going for. I mostly used transfers after taking a ton of time to freehand the chapter symbol on two models, and I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out; they could maybe a use a little more smoothing out, but it's only really noticeable under close inspection. On future models I'll try and have the stippling/mottled layering on the armour a bit more obvious, but for troops it's really not a big deal. The last thing really is their bases; I don't use the gw crackle glop too much, and I can never seem to get a nice effect across the base. Does anyone have the secret lol?

1125726-.jpg

1125727-.jpg

Next is the batch of characters,  though it's missing my second emperor's champion from being the full complement for knightfall.

My customized marshal; the sword build is what I'll use in game until/instead of Helbrecht. I pillaged the BGVA helmet for him and swapped his pack with a spare indomitus chaplain; the marshal's is going to a bike chaplain to represent Tannhauser's Bones.

1125725-.jpg

Obligatory "classic" marshal build

1125723-.jpg

Fairly standard indomitus chaplain. The only modeling difference is the chain on the wrist (I wish I had gotten this stuff for the intercessors!), but I'll try to BT him up with the paint.

1125724-.jpg

Last is the Judiciar. Also pretty standard, the head is a spare from the indomitus captain's, and there's the extra chain around the wrist. I think there's a bonus purity seal out of sight as well. Annoyingly, he has some visible seems at the coat join, and I have no  greenstuff or files to smooth it out with.

1125722-.jpg

That's it for now. After the characters, I'm thinking of alternating redemptor, crusaders, invictor, crusaders, redemptor, emperor's champion, redemptor. Try to avoid burnout as much as possible.

Very noice !

Thanks!

Nice.
Looking good.
Hoe did you do the off White on his shoulders

Thanks! It's karak stone, VMC Buff, Typhon ash. Honestly it needed more Ash, because they read as a bit too yellow, especially compared to the assault intercessors.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

• 1 month later...

I posted this in Knightfall, but got the picture link working properly now 

1130621-.jpg

It's a few days old so a lot more has been done, and there's only one more good session or two before oils and basing and OSL. I should be well on track for the vow, even with an extra redemptor, champ and 4 neophytes to do. Very excited, as the finishing details are what tends to transform the models. 

@9x19 Parabellum Thanks! A lot of it is stippling and stipple-style highlighting and the end wash. Getting a good (non-GW) set of drybrushes can really make a huge difference. 

Thanks guys!

@bjorn it's going to be like the first couple of pics. Orange wasteland with some stuff to vary the topography. Maybe some skulls on the characters bases to sell the blanchitsu.

@jud Cottrell its mostly the oil wash and pigments with stippling to give texture on the sour and pointilism on the cloth.

I've got some bad news; I've had two deaths in my family over the last few days and the funerals and wakes are planned over the next 4 days. Unfortunately this means my painting timetable is going to be disrupted and I won't be able to complete my vow as a result. That being said, I'm still enormously happy with how much I've gotten painted, and how I've refined some techniques to really save on time for the rest of the huge amount of marine models that are waiting in bins or on sprue still. I'm also still going to push to complete the stuff in my last picture for the end of the 31st.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone.

Life got in the way a bit, but I finally polished off another model for the Crusade: the Marshal.

1135278-Black%20%20Templars%2C%20Black%2

1135276-Black%20%20Templars%2C%20Black%21135277-Black%20%20Templars%2C%20Black%2

Out of the two marshal models, I was planning on using the sword version; hence, the cool helmet and backpack swap. So this one got the details like the fabric first as a test piece and I really, really liked how it turned out. But, I also cut corners on some parts and also was a little sloppy with the oil wash, so there's a lot of room to improve. Next up is the judiciar, who's just waiting on the base and pigments. 

Wow! Love the weathered look! I used to do oil washes myself, personally I switched to enamel washes by AK interactive. Striking Grime is basically the same as the black and umber oil wash I did before, still can use white spirits. Enamels don't take three weeks to dry like oils do either.

But your model looks awesome! I love the weathered look!

Wow! Love the weathered look! I used to do oil washes myself, personally I switched to enamel washes by AK interactive. Striking Grime is basically the same as the black and umber oil wash I did before, still can use white spirits. Enamels don't take three weeks to dry like oils do either.

But your model looks awesome! I love the weathered look!

I have both enamels and oils and I like to use them for different things. I like streaking grime for flatter panels where you can see the streaking effect and it can act as a filter. Oils I use more as a pinwash. I find my abteilung oils dry very quickly, like a day or so. But I know they're meant for model use and faster drying.

Ak's grime is notoriously green right now, so mig's is the one you want for a brown one.

• 1 year later...

Well my title seems rather appropriate; it's been over a year and I've completed precisely 0 more models since my last post. 

The good news is that I found the culprit, the one responsible for the decimation of any leadership and planning in the crusade of shame.

An ork sniper:

PXL_20230726_235908529.thumb.jpg.93fabf67e8c7601c5bb61d455c25daf3.jpg

He's a good example of the point a lot of my templar models are at. Base colours almost all blocked in with some shading done, but needing highlights, oil washes, and weathering powders to finish it all. Lots of actual templars are at that point of nearly finished, and I'll try and get over my phobia of wips and share them soon.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

12 minutes ago, Gederas said:

Very nice "Ork Sniper"

(Also I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's had that bend happen to the Marshal's Iron Halo on the Skeleton)

Ya the halo bend is a bit annoying, if it's not bent then it's got a really annoying connection point to the sprue.