BT Primaris Crusader Box: ... Um, real SW Bits, too, Please?

Karack Blackstone

Hello all.

Title.

After seeing the BT Primaris Crusader box, all I am thinking is that what we've been given as "SW bits" thus far are seriously not up to par.

And that red paint on them to give them that proper armor trim and touch feel...

Wow, I'd almost say the 3rd party bits sellers are beating GW's royal caboose with this game currently...

Only for them to do a nice job with the BT shoulder pads, while not also updating any other Chatpers' bling status.

Meh.

I assume all supps well eventually get a unique kit and a super upgrade sprue.

Bit I expect all the old supps to get them first

I would have thought upgraded Primaris upgrade sprues for the major chapters would A. Sell like crazy and B. Be easy to release at the same time

Given the loss of things like the Long Fang box and limited options with new releases theyre tkinourbitz

The SW sprue especially isn't that great to me, as I don't play Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company.

From my experience, SW are definitely more popular than BTs, I'd hazard a guess they're probably the most popular bespoke chapter, but that's intuition.

stay calm. I am sure that there are as many SW players as BT players. You all will get the treatment you deserve. The question is just who else get it first. I think BA - SW - DA is the correct order ( but its just my belive).

I reckon that's probably the correct order as well of what will occur. BA are probably in the most need for a little more, and although SW just got a bigger release in 7E, DA seem in a pretty good spot to cruise with what they've got. To round out DA, there's definitely got to be another round or two of general kits as well, to cover more on the RW and DW.

There is an exhaustive pile of Space Wolves bits to be had with kit mixing. We have this to tide us over, Black Templars do not.

They'll get to Space Wolves Primaris eventually.

I tend to think we should be next up as to make a Primaris model look Wolfy requires a lot more work than it does for the Blood Angels or Dark Angels. For them you can get by with just colours and decals and not feel like you're missing out.

Edited by Wispy

As they squatted power armour Njal Id say hes due to cross the rubicon soon

We also have 2 generic Rune Priests, Arjac, Harald, and Canis in resin/finecast.

Primaris Njal might also build a generic model. Would be easy enough to do a Primaris character on Thunderwolf that makes the 2 named characters and at least 2 generic ones

Admittedly none of that is directly an upgrade sprue :)

Edited by Dark Shepherd

While a new upgrade sprue would be nice for most chapters if we're being honest, I'm lot more interested in a sword brethren style unit. I could see myself replacing my intercessor pack leaders with models like that and having bit more variety while still having a clean look overall. 

That said a plastic Njal in gravis armor kit that could also make a rune priest would be amazing.... and expensive because I'd probably try to build up to 1000 points of pure gravis lol.

Regardless we will get more stuff soon because we play a popular fraction and vote with our wallets lol

Edited by Jorin Helm-splitter

I think our Primaris upgrade sprue is very underwhelming, however, I'm much more interested in Sword Brethren/Crusader Squad units, i.e. Space Wolves unique Primaris infantry.  Imagine being able to do the old Pack Leader+Wolf Guard arrangement with regular and Assault Intercessors like the WG TDA leading Firstborn Packs.  How cool would it be to give the Primaris Grey Hunters a Hellblaster Plasma, or two if they were a full squad.  Or packs of 15 Assault Intercessors?  Maybe taking a Primaris Wolf Guard leader armed as a Blade Guard or Aggressor as the squad leader of your Intercessor/Assault Intercessor? 

Simply being able to not follow the strictures of the current Primaris unit organization is all I ask for, but they gave it to Black Templars first.  I'd take unique organization over a new upgrade sprue.  

I'm not asking to attach a WGPL in TDA to a Primaris unit, I'm saying we should have the Primaris equivalent of that (i.e. an Aggressor).  That wouldn't threaten their apparent no-mixing/matching between Primaris/First Born position.

Do you mind sharing where you saw Simon Grant saying something like that or why you feel that way?  Seems very odd given that they're basically just veteran sergeants and all the new options the Black Templar sergeants get now (which will presumably pass on to the other Marine chapters like Powerfists, Thunder Hammers, Hand Flammers, etc did when the chapter-specific upgrades were released).

Edited by VIth

I'm not asking to attach a WGPL in TDA to a Primaris unit, I'm saying we should have the Primaris equivalent of that (i.e. an Aggressor). That wouldn't threaten their apparent no-mixing/matching between Primaris/First Born position.

Do you mind sharing where you saw Simon Grant saying something like that or why you feel that way? Seems very odd given that they're basically just veteran sergeants and all the new options the Black Templar sergeants get now (which will presumably pass on to the other Marine chapters like Powerfists, Thunder Hammers, Hand Flammers, etc did when the chapter-specific upgrades were released).

It was in the Space Wolves facebook group, he regularly posts/comments in it. He said Primaris Seargents already have Wolf Guard Pack Leader statlines (or equivalent) so theyre not needed

Given how they look theyre homogenous/generic marine units to be exactly that, I dont see us getting them

Heck the damn 40k app wont even let us add WGPLs to the units that can take them

I know we’re straying from the topic of bits here, but I’d like to give my 2 cents.

I would love to see mixing of Primaris and Firstborn. Its more in keeping with the Space Wolves disdain for orthodoxy, protocol, and the Codex. It also fits our lore (unless things have changed that im unaware of) in that the Wolfguard are gathered from the various packs into one group and then assigned to various other packs to lead them. If Primaris can be Wolfguard, then they should be assigned wherever their Wolf Lord wants them to lead. It wouldn’t make any sense for a Wolf Lord to say to himself, “I’m only going to assign Primaris Wolfguard to Primaris packs and Firstborn Wolfguard to Firstborn packs.” We just don’t think like that. We think, “Where would this guy be most useful? I’ll put him there.”

Will GW ever do this? Maybe. Eventually. Probably not soon though.

Would I love to see it? Absolutely.

I would love to see mixing of Primaris and Firstborn. Its more in keeping with the Space Wolves disdain for orthodoxy, protocol, and the Codex. It also fits our lore (unless things have changed that im unaware of) in that the Wolfguard are gathered from the various packs into one group and then assigned to various other packs to lead them. If Primaris can be Wolfguard, then they should be assigned wherever their Wolf Lord wants them to lead. It wouldn’t make any sense for a Wolf Lord to say to himself, “I’m only going to assign Primaris Wolfguard to Primaris packs and Firstborn Wolfguard to Firstborn packs.” We just don’t think like that. We think, “Where would this guy be most useful? I’ll put him there.”

A lot of this could also be said for BT, but as BBF says we got Primaris Crusaders! 

Wolves became "codexified" with the primaris marines.  Dont know why GW didnt want to keep the wolves uniqueness but here we are.  Its a bit bad but could be a lot worse. Still see Cyberwolves in every (?) competitive wolf list at least!

Very happy that the Black Templars were able to keep their uniqueness though.

Possibly it was economical reasons - Wolves are very popular and not releasing wolves with the primaris update would not be economically viable at all.  But we are vanilla now.

I do think part of why we don't see WGPLs in Primaris squads is that when Primaris first came out there weren't any veteran squads for them. We eventually got rules to include veteran intercessors, and then more recently BGV but there isn't a unique space wolf veteran unit yet (Hounds of Morkai are not wolfguard). Once we have our unique unit, I think you may see some rules for adding them to other packs.    

Don't forget that BT last time got new units in the 4th edition (i think) and they were last of the official special chapters (except FW-stuff) to get a primaris upgrade. Now they got the first real primaris upgrade. I am pretty sure in the next 2-3 years the other big chapters will also get a (real) special primaris unit. The Hounds of Morkai or Death Company hardly count as they are just the small chapter upgrade sprues with a certain unit. So hold your mjold and paint your savage army of grey plastic, fight the pile of shame and endure nottinghams product strategy. 

And anyone who watched the "Space Marine II" trailer might be hopping for the next primaris melee unit - with jump packs. :yes:

Edited by Firnwulf