Libertas Crusade

Brother Kraskor

Again, excellent works. Where'd you get the giant skull adorning the winged Redemptor?

Thank you Bjorn. If I remember rightly it came from a fantasy scenery kit - ancient temple/ruins of some sort? I've had it in my bitz box for years!

Edit: And a hobby update, the much-maligned but I'm-hoping-not-so-bad-with-5++ Repulsor Executioner! 

And there's a 1000pt army I'm hoping to test out shortly!

thumbnail IMG 9486

thumbnail IMG 9487

thumbnail IMG 9488

When the forces of the Libertas Crusade are deployed planetside, campaigns can often be long, and with limited opportunities to resupply. When it is suspected that air reinforcements will be unavailable, the mighty Executioner is deployed to serve as a mobile command tank. Its cargo bay, which would normally go unused as the Templars eschew the safety of its four walls, is filled with spare ammunition, power packs, weapon parts, and nutri-packs, as well as more advanced sensor and comms equipment. When the time comes to make camp and restock and plan the next move, its powerful anti-grav drive is powered down and it lands with a dull thud to the ground and acts as the command tent. And on the rare occasion that they take prisoners, the Templars gleefully execute them on the Repulsor's frontal spikes, thus honouring its namesake. 
Edited by Brother Kraskor

Played 30PL in the end - 2 Redemptors, EC, and Crusaders. And wow is the 5++ effective. It was Templars-Templars in the end and we both took Uphold, and it made everything so resilient. Both Dreads bracketed themselves with Supercharged plasma which was excellent to see. 

That’s a tough match up:wink:

love the accessories on that Repulsor. 

love the accessories on that Repulsor.

I second that. As the heavy weathering indicates, it's a vehicle that's been at WAR, not driving brainless politicians around a parade field to celebrate a "victory" these politicians contributed NOTHING towards.

Thanks both! Couldn't resist the spikes in the end.

And now for a somewhat heretical-looking Grimaldus... don't worry it's the Emperor's words he's reading!

thumbnail IMG 9491

thumbnail IMG 9492

thumbnail IMG 9493

And finally the big three altogether:

thumbnail IMG 9494

Are you trying to portray a Grimaldus who's infused with the Emperor's spirit, the latter using the Chaplain as a conduit for His Immortal Majesty's awesome psychic powers?

Something like that yes! I think the Templars represent an undeniably vicious force in the galaxy that would not be out of place alongside Khorne's hordes if it wasn't for their loyalty to the Emperor. The shunning of psykers even fits. So i guess I have been trying to poke at that a bit. I'm also going to convert a Marshal to be a prison for a daemon weapon (relic blade in game). 

I enjoyed scrolling through your updates, the group photos show that you've got a nice little crusade going for you. The use of AoS bits for the Emperor's Champion is definitely successful and Grimaldus - ha, he looks heretical indeed, but brave and - ultimately successful ;) I mean, I like him! He looks like he's going to smack someone with that book.

It's also interesting that you decided to 'invert' the traditional Chaplain's paint scheme and go with a light livery for his armour.

I enjoyed scrolling through your updates, the group photos show that you've got a nice little crusade going for you. The use of AoS bits for the Emperor's Champion is definitely successful and Grimaldus - ha, he looks heretical indeed, but brave and - ultimately successful :wink: I mean, I like him! He looks like he's going to smack someone with that book.

It's also interesting that you decided to 'invert' the traditional Chaplain's paint scheme and go with a light livery for his armour.

Thank you brother! I think I might lean into the Chaos suggestion here and there. I think the Templars are unquestionably loyal, but whether they inadvertedly draw on Khorne... who knows. 

And yes, I thought as most Chapters have black armoured Chaplains as a contrast to their normal colours, it might look nice to go for a white (or in this case bone) for BT chaplains. Came out ok, I think I'll keep it up if I get another Chaplain.

Five more Assault Intercessors join the crusade:

thumbnail IMG 9527

And Marshal Mordred, Warden of Deathscream, Lord of the Libertas Crusade:

thumbnail IMG 9528

thumbnail IMG 9529

thumbnail IMG 9530

thumbnail IMG 9531

thumbnail IMG 9532

After the Libertas freed the Ecclesiarchy world of Galathon IV from the taint of Chaos, it began a systematic purging of the corrupted population. This purging unearthed many temples and sanctums dedicated to the dark gods. One such temple was completely unoccupied by the living, instead littered with corpses piled high. No visible wounds could be found on any of the bodies, but their skin was icy cold to the touch. At the temple's centre lay a cursed sword of terrible power: Deathscream, K'arsk'or the Silent, the Blade of Inevitability. This was the cause of the revolution on Galathon IV. Deeming it unsafe in human hands, Marshal Mordred undertook as many rites of protection as the Chaplains could offer, before seizing Deathscream as his own and making himself its living prison. Its whispers are ceaseless, but so far he has resisted it. 

I'm very unhappy with the cloak and think I will repaint it, but otherwise I am fairly pleased with him.
Edited by Brother Kraskor

I think the tonal quality of the cloak is there. It just needs some glazing to take down the severe colour shifts and help with the transitions. It's almost there. Just think those paints and you'll get what you're looking for.

Yes I think you're right. I rushed it too much basically! Think I will also use orange to brighten the red instead of cream so I don't get pink.

I think the tonal quality of the cloak is there. It just needs some glazing to take down the severe colour shifts and help with the transitions. It's almost there. Just think those paints and you'll get what you're looking for.

Yes I think you're right. I rushed it too much basically! Think I will also use orange to brighten the red instead of cream so I don't get pink.

Yes that is one option. Do it with a nearly transparent layered approach (think of milk consistency in the paints) and over a longer period of time to get the effect you want.

The thing is you can go that 'orange' route. Or you can do the white/cream route. There is two distinct looks there and it depends on what you want. Deep red up to an orange or yellow tint gives you a certain look, and going from a deep red (burgundy) with white/cream gives you a pinkish highlight. To me first option is what I started with many years ago but I found working on some cloaks I prefer the burgundy/satin look. (you can see it on some of my Sword Brethren for example). It's just a personal preference thing.

Cool stuff. The eyes are a bit much for my taste, but you've explained that and I get what you're going for, so keep it up!

I like how the neophytes faces almost look like they just crawled out of an oil painting. It gives them a very... idk... maybe an uncanny valley feel, that makes them seem more like monsters going to get me.

The highlights on the belts makes me feel your guys are fighting on a cold planet, and their belts are a little frosty!