9th Ed. Noob w/ a 2K Soup

Alright? Dipping my toe back in with the following offering. Not aiming to be super-optimized, don't want to get roflstomped either.

2,000pts on the nose. Basic battleplan is "run at it, shouting".

Battalion Detachment

HQ

Daemon Prince, Warlord,Wings, Rapacious Talons, Prescience, Loathsome Grace

Sorceror, Plasma Pistol, Warptime, Prescience

Sorceror, Prescience, Delightful Agonies

Troops

Noise Marines, x9, Champion w/ Astartes Chainsword, Sonic Blaster x8, Blastmaster x2 

Chaos Cultists, x19 w/ Autoguns, Champion w/ Autopistol and Brutal Assault Weapon, Flamer x2 

Chaos Cultists, x19 w/ Autoguns, Champion w/ Autopistol and Brutal Assault Weapon, Flamer x2 

Fast Attack

Raptors, x9, Champion w/ Power Sword, Plasma Gun x2

Heavy Support

Maulerfiend w/ Lasher Tendrils

Patrol Detachment

HQ

Herald of Slaanesh, Symphony of Pain

Herald of Slaanesh, Hysterical Frenzy

Troops

Daemonettes, x29, Alluress

Daemonettes, x29, Alluress

Give me your thoughts, criticisms and random insults.

Edited by The Maraviglia

Looks like a fun list.

Since you have 3 Daemon Engines, you might want to change one of your sorcerers to a Master of Possession. That would give you access to various Daemon engine buffs like Cursed Earth. And you can always use the "Chaos Familiar" stratagem to change out one power for something like Warptime.

Good luck!

When I first started running a Master of Possession back in 2019 I was also worried that he (and sometimes an accompanying Warpsmith) wouldn't be able to keep up. It turns out that even with low advance rolls he and the Warpsmith can quite easily keep up. Be sure to deploy him alongside the Maulerfiends but about one inch back so he cannot be a smite target.

My Daemon Engines (Maulerfiend, Defiler, and or 1 or 2 Blood Slaughterers) are usually dead or stuck in by Turn 2 and if they are stuck in he stands behind them lending moral support. :) If they are dead then his buffs don't matter.

I second TC on the Master versus the psychic - you really don't have a whole lot of good targets for prescience,   As such, you are probably best having a spell caster who is specifically oriented around buffing your many demon engines.  TC is also right about keeping it in range of the maulerfiends - yes, if you start it behind the fiends it will quickly fall behind, but if you start beside and near the front you probably have about 9 inches to fall back compared to the fiend before you are out of "Look out sir!" range.

Not sure if the rapacious talons are worth it on a demon prince, as its claws are already D2 , only 1 worse AP, and only have a 50% chance of getting any extra attacks (as the prince's dual claws already give you +3 attacks in their profile).  I guess they do give you reroll wounds, but you can also get that through the raiment.  Personally,  I don't think that's enough upside to having a 1/6 chance of taking a wound and loosing 3 attacks, -1 AP and 1 damage for the round.

They are a bit better when replacing lightning claws on a non-prince, for while they don't improve the AP they do bump them to D2 and have a 2/3 chance of generating additional attacks, although you aren't getting the benefit of reroll wounds as the claws already have that.

I usually kit my demon prince out with the raiment, which allows you to reroll charge distances, hits rolls and wound rolls.  Good on paper, but I can't really tell you how it goes as I haven't played my prince much since Faith and Fury came out and when I do it tends to die before it does much.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui