Successor chapter confusion

ranulf the revenant

...I just had a game using a successor chapter build, but I wasn't really sure about the "Hunter's Unleashed" rule. Do I lose that when using a successor chapter or not? I was sure about losing savage fury, but confused about Hu...

My opponent generously granted me to use it - he's very fair -, but I now think I was wrong there... Idk, I find the successor chapter rules a bit confusing in general, and it was my first time using them...

Yeah basically hunters unleashed is the unique chapter tactics for just Space Wolves. You can only get it as a successor by choosing Inheritors of the primarch (which doesn't really make any sense).

So basically you name your chapter, pick your chapter tactics. Then you decide your first founding. From that point on you can use the warlord traits, Sagas, Chapter Approved (means you can use the unique secondary objectives) psychic powers, and stratagems. You just replace the space wolf keyword with your new chapter name.

For relics and datasheets there are some restrictions

1) Unless you use trophy bestowed stratagem you can only use special issue wargear relics and the ones in the marine book. Basically you need to spend CP to take Armor of Russ.

2) You can't take named characters, and berserk charge doesn't work for claw units.

• Hunters Unleashed is the chapter tactic for Space Wolves specifically (which your successors can access only if they take the Inheritors of the Primarch successor chapter tactic - if you chose any other successor tactic for them, they can't use Hunters Unleashed)

Savage Fury is a detachment ability which applies to both the Space Wolves and their successors

Yeah basically hunters unleashed is the unique chapter tactics for just Space Wolves. You can only get it as a successor by choosing Inheritors of the primarch (which doesn't really make any sense).

So basically you name your chapter, pick your chapter tactics. Then you decide your first founding. From that point on you can use the warlord traits, Sagas, Chapter Approved (means you can use the unique secondary objectives) psychic powers, and stratagems. You just replace the space wolf keyword with your new chapter name.

For relics and datasheets there are some restrictions

1) Unless you use trophy bestowed stratagem you can only use special issue wargear relics and the ones in the marine book. Basically you need to spend CP to take Armor of Russ.

2) You can't take named characters, and berserk charge doesn't work for claw units.

Thanks a lot

Ok, but now I have another question... If I can just replace the SW keyword for the purpose of detachment abilities, why am I losing berserk charge and headstrong?

It seems to me that those are detachment abilities as well, they're even listed on the same page (45) in the codex...

Ok, but now I have another question... If I can just replace the SW keyword for the purpose of detachment abilities, why am I losing berserk charge and headstrong?

It seems to me that those are detachment abilities as well, they're even listed on the same page (45) in the codex...

It does, kind of. Although p45 tells you that Swiftclaw units gain the Berserk Charge, the text of the rule itself (p61) specifically says that it only applies to units that have the chapter tactic Hunters Unleashed or Inheritors of the Primarch.

Unless I'm missing something, you do still have Headstrong