Omega Patricians (primaris Nemisis chapter sucessors)

MegaVolt87

I have drafted a DIY primaris chapter, drawing more structure from the HH black books in its general style/ layout. The goal is to pick up on the more negative UM traits as a successor, especially as primaris to rub that "shine" they seem to have about them off. The intent is to magnify firstborn flaws, primaris should be about fixing some issues while magnifying other problems associated with loyalist firstborn. I also gave them a solid footing, I know thats not entirely popular, but I think it works given their flaws. The undeserving often fall into fortune. I am trying to lean more into an Eastern Roman style + some more barbaric elements. I liked the flawed Illiryian (?) side of Macragge & add Eastern Roman style to the new chapter planet. The names outside the chapter one are more placeholder if anything at the moment. 

Omega Patricians

Primogenitor- Rouboute Guilliman

Cognomen- Nemesis chapter successors, Ultima Founding 999 M41.

Observed strategic tendencies-

Heavy infantry assault, Enforced pacification, Targeted decimation, Xenos eradication and purgation.

Noteworthy Domains- Irolan, Decium System, Ultima Segmentum

Allegiance- Fedelitas Constantus

The Founding

Chapter command was founded by 11 rubicon primaris Nemesis chapter 1st company firstborn veterans. The remaining members are normally recruited primaris. Initially a fleet based chapter, until the establishment of a permanent homeworld, in the face of fleet and personnel losses requiring such a measure.

In light of the Codex Astartes revisions since the return of Guilliman and their permanent settlement, chapter command had begun to question the core principles of the codex itself. Older records from both the Nemesis chapter and Ultramarines were consulted, by Guilliman’s leave, who surprisingly agreed to grant access to the desired records. It is unclear why the primarch took such a direct interest in the matter, whether it was to further the learning and warcraft of one of his successors, a distraction or new counter theoretical to his ongoing codex revisions or simply as a way to observe how pre-existing rubiconed firstborn in command shape a primaris chapter itself. Darker rumours persist of such a direct interest due to their descent from the infamous Nemesis chapter. Whatever the reason, there are some certain facts. The chapter never fights in the same warzone as the Ultramarines, nor has Guilliman yet done them the honour of fighting alongside them as he has his other successor chapters. It is an obvious sore point within the chapter and their fellow Ultramarines successors have yet to belittle them for it either out of respect or pity. 

Despite this, they have been making overtures to their fellow Ultramarine successors, with varying success. Unsurprisingly a strong bond exists between them and the Nemesis chapter. Another with the Black Consuls, whom they have had recent side by side running battles against the Iron Warriors. The highpoint of that particular campaign being the boarding and destruction of the space hulk Blights Wreath, home of the labs that create the blight of the Wasting Crone, an unspeakable weapon rumoured to be from the Dark Age of Technology. One of the more strained relations is with the Howling Griffons. Apparently in a strategy meeting the senior Howling Griffons commander was less than impressed with the conduct and flippant attitude of the much more junior commanders of the chapter- who managed to find their force trapped in the same kind of Night Lords ambush they were briefed that could happen.  Further information on this incident is sparse, however outside observers noted  both sides ceased communications with one other, pursuing independent objectives.

Organization + combat doctrine

Chapter combat doctrine has been shaped by the chapters studies and their own theoretical conclusions. Thus they operate from what they view as best of both worlds- the innate specialties of legion era combat on the smaller scale of a chapter over true balance. The standard structure and organization of primaris units has only re-affirmed this view further.  As Astartes have autonomy to pick their warzones and campaigns- or start new ones, pro-active offensive actions are preferred. With the advances of primaris and their associated technologies, a more disposable, utilitarian attitude is taken with equipment, in that a brother is pragmatic, more concerned with their equipment condition and functionality than provenance- much to the chagrin of the Mechanicum. While the founding members of the chapter being firstborn that crossed the rubicon, it’s seen as one thing to revere something like Cataphractii plate as a relic, its quite a different matter for a suit of gravis armour as an example. Availability, serviceability and ease of production were seen as an advantage over many firstborn technologies and the chapter takes advantage of this fact to the fullest. 

The chapter is known for a preference for heavy infantry. Heavy Intercessors, Aggressors, Inceptors, Eradicators and Hellblasters are a mainstay. Incursor units are also preferred as rapid frontline assault units. In pitched battle, enemies find themselves stuck against the grinding advance of the heavy infantry as their flanks are picked clean by phobos units and more mobile armoured assets. More commonly, the chapter mainly deploys into demi company formations, bringing their brutal and unflinching way of war in support of other Imperial forces across many theatres. The chapter is infamous for collateral damage, their methods and tactics causing destruction far in excess of their numbers in a warzone. Imperial commanders feel a sense of both relief and dread at their presence as a result.

Service in the Deathwatch is highly encouraged amongst the ranks. In the chapters early days, experience was sorely needed and lacking for the officers outside of the original 11. Two hundred twenty marines were immediately sent to serve, one hundred and two returned and filled into positions of command. To this day, Deathwatch service is required for a permanent command promotion. However the chapter has a more hierarchical command structure, so only senior commanders and noted veterans are permitted to wear their Deathwatch shoulder plate and honours openly.

Homeworld

Within the Ultima Segmentum, the planet Irolan within the Decium System is where the chapter decided to make its homeworld after fighting as a fleet based chapter. Its people had technologically regressed to a feudal state, its ruling family was noted as being a Knight household in ages past, however it had lost its entire complement of knights against the Crocodilian Monarchs that dwelt in the mountains, reptilian monstrosities, possessed of a malevolent intellect with violet eyes that had begun to leave the mountain ranges to ravage the foothills and plains. A great campaign was waged that slew the greatest of their kind, which put their numbers into decline and weakened their subsequent offspring and bloodlines. The chapter initially had difficulties in jurisdiction over the planet with the Mechanicum, beating them there first by coincidence by some months. However, in an act of conciliation, the chapter braved the mountain depths to recover as many fallen knights as they could find. It soon became apparent the Crocodilian Monarchs lived on, though vastly inferior to what they once were at their peak. The largest of their number being of a dreadnaught’s stature. However there were one other thing discovered that were not disclosed- the discovery of vast ore and mineral deposits within the mountains. The first chapter master Julius Karadan, argued the lost knights was really what the Mechanicum wanted, rather than a new client world that needed to be built from nothing. Karadan had gambled on the Martian Adepts greed for old technologies, all of the recovered knights were of rare and uncommon variants, such as the Magaera. The Martian Adepts readily agreed to withdraw their contesting claim for the planet in exchange for the relic knight suits.

The indigenous population also cautioned the chapter about the Crocodilian Monarchs further. The meat is “spoiled” to eat, never to take the eyes, teeth, skulls or bones as trophies, but the hide cured with the coastal salts makes an unmatched leather. Cubing, curing, salting then burning the creatures flesh or bonemeal somehow enrages the creatures if done outside of the cave mouths, where they can be fought out in the open instead of their natural ground in the caves where they hold advantage. There was once a tribe known as the Sons of the Monarchs who appeared some time after the Knights left on their last march, who did these things and went mad, spilling from the foothills razing and killing mindlessly. Every last member of the tribe was wiped out and since has been a cautionary tale to instil discipline and spook the rebellious youth. In a show of humility, Karadan accepted becoming an honorary member of the lead ruling house on Irolan and granted the title of Monarch Bane, one not held since Coordinator Karog who lead the knights of House Scytharn against the Crocodilian Monarchs.

Karadan had then taken formal title of Irolan as the chapters planet, securing the Omega Patricians seat of power and its future.

Recruitment

The people of Irolan make hardy recruits and Chapter Master Julius Karadan was quick to incorporate the local culture with the chapters own, seeing as they have “a unified, civilised barbarity” in his direct words. Groups of five adolescents must kill at least two Crocodilian Monarchs within one week to even be eligible to be considered as a candidate.  The final test is a solo venture into the mountain caves to hunt and return with the hide of at least one Crocodilian Monarch before the black carapace is the final implant required to become a full Primaris Space Marine. Some exceptional aspirants have even managed to bring back more than one hide. The new chapter brother then makes their own accessories, such as pouches, belts, sword sheaths, holsters and slings from their kills. A favourite pastime is solo hunting the dreadnaught sized Crocodilian monarchs should replacements be required for their leather works.

Being of Ultramarine lineage, numbers are kept largely intact, however due to the common demi company employment, there have been times where the chapter count has accidently risen above tolerable norms. In such instances, all currently serving Deathwatch brothers are recalled, and the remaining new recruits re-organized, are than sent to the Deathwatch after overall replenishment- on an informally permanent basis. The chapter has not yet needed to call an emergency recall of serving Deathwatch members, but it is estimated if that were to happen it could save the chapter should it face extinction. This erratic, but efficient recruitment system has ironically caused problems for the geneseed tithe collections which are often late, but always met in full. It is rumoured the Ordos Xenos routinely quashes such complaints behind the scenes, due to the chapters exemplary Deathwatch commitment in comparison to other Ultima Founding chapters.

Exemplary Battles

(TBA)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice.

A bit of potentially pedantic but hopefully constructive feedback.

Chapter command was founded by 11 rubicon primaris Nemesis chapter 1st company firstborn veterans.

Any firstborn veteran that successfully crosses the rubicon is now even more of a precious resource to a Chapter than before so it seems odd that they Nemesis Chapter would give 11 of them to a new Chapter. Of course this is if 11 is many or few Successful Rubicon Primaris in your view. GW is unclear about this, other than that the procedure is dangerous. But why not regular firstborn veterans? Would that really change the chapter's beliefs?

To this day, Deathwatch service is required for a permanent command promotion.

A nifty quirk. However, it seems a bit restrictive from a logistics point of view. I might be wrong though. Astartes live a long lives after all.

The way I interpret you saying negative UM traits, the vibe I'm getting is "overly proud of their own capabilities and overconfidence in their own beliefs". Is this what your going for?

Maybe you've already done this, but a thing I find useful is start by writing the Abstract - a summary, or elevator pitch, about the Chapter and what makes them special, distinct or interesting. It gives you thematic goal to aim all your ideas at, and it gives the reader a quick grasp of the Chapter they are reading about. Though it might not fit the format you're going for.

Edit: Also, thoughts on a color scheme?

Edited by Codex Grey

@ Codex Grey, I realized its easier to do design notes as I go I will try to answer your points-

Rubicon firstborn, there is basically no risk now as the time line advanced but early on the risk was large. So its meant to read as noteworthy in that sense as it occurred on the ultima primaris founding. Also why 1st co vets? Well Astartes lore, they are the most adherent to a chapters creed, experienced, combat paragon's. From their ranks its not unheard of them to lead other battle companies themselves. Plus they are the most qualified to ensure a new chapters success and survival. Also giving up 11 of your best guys to get a new steadfast ally of 1k extra Astartes who are basically your nephew's at that point is a no brainer decision IMO

Deathwatch service, was intended as essentially a shortcut for leadership experience at a tactical level. You have to be a tactician before you become a strategist required for more troops to lead, operational complexity etc. The ordos Xenos sends back dead volunteers wargear and geneseed where possible or notifies the chapters participating of KIA/ MIA status. Think about it, its basic maths- 220 were sent away initially, 220 were sent, updates were sent for KIA/MIA of 118 Astartes, time to bring back the remaining 102 to fill command positions.  Later, its a sink for over recruitment due to the common demi company deployment + stable UM pedigree and a place for chapter members to get an edge in promotions over their brothers. 

"Overly proud of their own capabilities and overconfidence in their own beliefs" was what I was going for, they take some L's but are still quite a effective malevolent/ brutal entity like their roots from the Nemesis Chapter. Like, they never shut up because they always put up relatively consistently. I wanted CSM to be their "wall", as I liked the official lore of initial CSM contacts as going badly for Primaris, its their first series of defeats, pride before the fall and subsequent retribution etc. Since the founders were former firstborn, they are well aware of the Astartes legacy and look to leverage past successes to present problems with new opportunities provided by the primaris and Cawls tech advances. It blends to create something monstrous, many firstborn Astartes are far removed from their humanity- just exactly what does that make a primaris then ? Thats what I am trying to get across. 

Finally, I chose the HH black book format for legion history as the base because the traditional Index Astartes layout for several reasons. I initially made them in the IA style, but it lacked a "flow" or structure I desired. It also makes sense since they are drawing from that era in their material traditions, the old re-imagined with the new. 

there is basically no risk now as the time line advanced but early on the risk was large

Oh? My understanding was that the creation of new Primaris was relatively straight forward, but crossing the Rubicon remains dangerous. I'm only going off the 9th ed. space marine codex though, have not seen any other sources on this. I would love to hear were you got this from, since I'm dealing with this issue myself for my Chapter.

Still, the weird part for me is that it happens during the Ultima Founding, since that's when it was the most dangerous? In the end it's not that big of a deal.

Think about it, its basic maths

I'll take your word for it :biggrin.:

[that] was what I was going for

Cool. Getting high on their own supply, so to speak.

As for the format choice, no problems there, just a suggestion if you were up for modifying the format to suit your needs, but if you want to stick to the format then that's fine.

Also, maybe you missed the question the first time, but do you have a color scheme in mind? Symbol?

EDIT: For some reason I see burgundy. Don't know why. Here's a test, I can change it when you get the colors figured out

gallery_22046_1527_85284.png

Edited by Codex Grey

Not sure on the scheme yet, still hammering that out, but the symbol is just going to be an actual Omega (UM badge upside down basically). As far as the dangers of the Rubicon, I remember it mentioned in one of the newer BL books. I picked up on it in a book synopsis. Also, look at it this way most of the oldies named characters made the Rubicon crossover so its obviously "dangerous" as the story dictates. :whistling: