+ The Warborn - Heresy Ultramarines Log +

Monstra Sumus

I decided to have a crack at something different. Heresy Era Ultramarines with a twist. The XIIIth Legion, the Warborn, were founded on Terra at the close of the Unification and saw combat in the pacification of Luna. Their ranks were drawn from the Maglev clans that inhabit what was once South America, the Mystical tundra of Alba, and the horrifying techno barbarians of the Caucus wastes. It is this direction I have chosen to influence my Ultramarines with. The descendants of barbarian Kings, just like the actual Romans. No fantasy trope of shining justice, but savage warriors wearing gold. Their Empire built at the point of a sword, their superiority kept by the spilling of blood. 

Here is the first of my "War Born". Hastati Squad Callidus, head hunters of the tunnels of Calth. Still have several members to bash together. Considering a basing for this army that consists of skulls and rubble.

gallery_41766_11017_29694.jpg

gallery_41766_11017_18540.jpg

gallery_41766_11017_8033.jpg

gallery_41766_11017_52983.jpg

gallery_41766_11017_73663.jpg

Tried some new work on 'upscaling' them. They stand at the same height as Primaris without being goofy in proportion like some of the FW Marines can seem when paired with other bits. I find the MKX shoulder plates really add some good bulk to the MKIV to make it more of a dominating silhouette.

====

Calth.

It became a byword for slaughter. Murder. Evil.

One that Appian would wear with pride upon his armor, his skin, and his soul.

gallery_41766_11017_80888.jpg

Monarchia should have been message enough to the XVIIth Legion; the humiliation of being forced to kneel before Guilliman and the Emperor whilst their city burned should have crushed their spirit. It did not.

Appian expected the Wolves or the Sons to be sent to tame the Five Hundred worlds, not the Word Bearers. It was poetic and a fitting end to the song of Lorgar in the Imperial Annals. Appian took a very personal pleasure in hunting their officers down and challenging them to single combat amongst the radiation winds whilst his Principes watched.

gallery_41766_11017_5720.jpg

Any who refused the challenge were gunned down on the spot by Callidus and his Hastati. Those who accepted died on their feet and he took their swords to decorate his chambers. He took their skin to decorate his battle plate. The ruinstorm they had brought with them took their souls. There were dozens of squads moving through the wastelands and tunnels performing this same action. The Bearers of the Word would realize their folly. 

His Principes followed in his wake hacking and cutting and killing. Appian would remember the smell and sounds of the days on Calth before they cracked the sun and burnt the planet to a crisp. He enjoyed those days. He didn't enjoy the darkness so much, the hunting in the bowels of the planet, the roach stomping. That was Hastati work and it bored him. He considered it droll. Without honor.

gallery_41766_11017_36064.jpg

It was message enough to the Would Be Emperor, to burn the surface with his Word Bearer sycophants upon it. To Horus. To them all. Come to our Empire, challenge our King, and we even let the stars themselves die to erase you.

gallery_41766_11017_28939.jpg

After all if the Sons of Ultramar were willing to sacrifice one of their beloved worlds, what then would they do to the homes of their enemies?

Appian couldn't wait to find out.

gallery_41766_11017_63295.jpg

------

WIP of Appian, Tessarius of the Principes of the War Born. For tabletop he is the Sergeant of my Breacher Power-sword Unit.

Edited by NomadPainting

Remus Ventanus - The Butcher of Calth

gallery_41766_11017_48000.jpg

"Sad. You do not see it yet. How could you? How could you see the truth when you are buried in the filth of lies, of false promise? It is here on Calth where you die. This is where you, the Bearers of the Word, are ended. Your Would Be Emperor cannot save you here, pray as you will, it falls on deaf ears. He is not listening, He never was, Monarchia should have been all the proof you needed. You cannot escape Terra. Flee, fight, it matters not. You will not meet the noble end you hunger for, you will not be vindicated, or avenged. You will not be remembered. This is simply euthanasia. You are unfit to call yourselves Astartes. By our hands, by our purity you will be unmade and all that will remain is the silence that follows. The Imperium will always remember Calth, however you, you will be forgotten, like a whisper in the wind. If you wish to accomplish anything on this day then die well, cousin."

I am considering adding some flair to his helmet or powerpack to give him some difference from the base model. Maybe in the form of embellishment or a cloak of chains. What do you think would make him stand out in my force of  barbarian Ultramarines?

Edited by NomadPainting

• 3 months later...

gallery_41766_11017_13622.jpg

Decided on a basing theme for my Ultramarines of the Golden King. I am going for a T2 Judgement Day feel to them and will eventually build a whole display piece for them to slot into. It is going to involve...a lot of skulls.

I have some more shots of the UotGK to snap when I get home. Appian's Principe squad is built as well as a final version of Remus Ventanus that I'm happy with. I want these guys to come across as menacing but not gaudy. 

Edited by NomadPainting

Lovely stuff, can't wait to see your progress!

Thank you Naryn, here are some more shots of most of the assembled force so far. I have the rest of the MKIV squad on the production line.

~~~~

The Ultramarines of the Golden King - Cohort of the Butcher of Calth - The War Born

med_gallery_41766_11017_221969.jpg

The Butcher, Remus, watched with passive grey eyes as his men spread like a fire over the radiation blasted plain before him. Howling cries of war and the grunts of dying men joined with the clash of swords and hum of the nuclear fallout. It was like music to his ears. For the briefest moment he allowed himself to smile. It was a minute display of satisfaction on an other wise marble static face. It was the merest tip of the iceberg of sinful pride that roared and swelled within his heart at the sight of these weaklings falling like wheat before the scythe.

med_gallery_41766_11017_7844.jpgmed_gallery_41766_11017_63056.jpg

med_gallery_41766_11017_46728.jpg

The sword work was endless for the Principes. The hacking and slashing, the stabbing and slicing. To be sure, noble sons of the Golden King were felled in the rout, yet to the stern eyes of the field commander they deserved to die. Their failure would not pollute the lines of the chosen.

med_gallery_41766_11017_60847.jpg

med_gallery_41766_11017_29052.jpg

med_gallery_41766_11017_6180.jpg

med_gallery_41766_11017_90385.jpg

Callidus resented his position beneath and behind Appian of the Chosen Princes. Held in reserve and used purely for inglorious dispatch work he conducted himself with as much valor and honor as his position could muster. The lions share of the glory was forever denied to him in the shadow of his brother. This growing enmity was known to his betters; however they simply did not care. His duty as a line officer was to perform. He was no hero. He was not chosen.

The dark shard within his chest slithered its splinters deeper into him, stoking the fires of resentment. One day there would be a reckoning.

med_gallery_41766_11017_19573.jpg

Cheers,

Nomad

Edited by NomadPainting

• 4 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 3:23 AM, son of the forest said:

Very atmospheric looking guys, wheres the hand holding head from in your original post?

Thank you! Unfortunately the heads were lost and so he now has a blade in the free hand. I'll be looking to create a head hunter in another squad. 

~~~

Did some rework on a previous miniature. I'll be running the Logos and so I needed a Master of Signal more than a Chaplain. 

Here is Sejanus; Chosen Tongue of the Golden King

IMG_20220826_220806_114.jpg

IMG_20220826_220806_140.jpg

IMG_20220826_220806_173.jpg

IMG_20220826_220806_212.jpg

"That beast he has, that Kraznahund. The things I have seen it do to a man. I am not entirely convinced Sejanus needs to carry that axe." 

Didn't like the auspex after letting it sit for a few days, decided he needed an iPad and an attack dog instead. 

IMG_20220831_162338_703.jpg

IMG_20220831_162338_791.jpg

IMG_20220831_162338_751.jpg

IMG_20220831_162338_834.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 4:22 AM, space wolf said:

Ooooh, I'm really liking these! Moar please!

Thank you space wolf, got a fair amount of them built up ready for painting. Planning on getting the AoD box as well and throwing a little flare where I can into the MKVI

On 9/18/2022 at 2:23 PM, sockwithaticket said:

Definitely among the meaneast Ultras I've seen.

Appreciate it sock, I want them to look /mean/. 

Here is my take on Ventanus' right hand man, Kuiz Selaton 

Screenshot_20220921_011657.jpg

Screenshot_20220921_011711.jpg