Crusher Stampede

Lautrec the Embraced

A new set of rules for Tyranids has been spotted - it allows you to take so called Crusher Stampede. In short it makes you lose out on Gaunts, Swarms and Stealers but everyone gets 5++ and Monsters receive Dreadnought style 1 less Damage, There is a new psychic discipline along with trait and strategems.

So I wanted to inquire about your thoughts. I think that if you tend to spam mostly larger bugs and heavy infantry like warriors or guard then Crusher Stampede is an appealing prospect. Don't know how badly will the limitations impede your ability to score points and win games but rules alone look rather compelling.

You get a universal invulnerable save, badly needed by many units and a universal -1 damage for monster is just incredible. Even Carnifex is more resilient than a Dreadnought now. You get means of increasing your attacks number which is also helpful and some stratagems sound outright insane, like Breaking Through, allowing to potentially cause a mortal wound (up to 6) on charge on a d6 roll of 3+ for EACH wound you still have. Now that's a proper hammer of wrath! And you won't  get Counter Offensive'd if you kill them in a charge phase.

One thing that puzzles me is: do you lose all things connected to a hive fleet, so no keyword for you, along with no traits, powers and statagems OR do you keep those but don't get your regular hive fleet specific rules, like Behemoth's Hyper Aggresion a.k.a. charge reroll etc...

One thing that puzzles me is: do you lose all things connected to a hive fleet, so no keyword for you, along with no traits, powers and statagems OR do you keep those but don't get your regular hive fleet specific rules, like Behemoth's Hyper Aggresion a.k.a. charge reroll etc...

As far as I can tell, the second one. The units still have the relevant Hive Fleet keywords of your choosing so can still use the stratagems and warlord traits etc, they're just specifically disallowed form gaining the benefit of the Adptations.

Where is this set of rules supposed to be coming from? It it a special Detachment? Is it a campaign thing or something?Or is it from the new codex when that eventually arrives? It sounds ok, but I'm not sure about a return to Nidzilla days for as much as the monsters could do with a helping hand this does nothing for the gribblies who need it just as much (or more).

Where is this set of rules supposed to be coming from? It it a special Detachment? Is it a campaign thing or something?Or is it from the new codex when that eventually arrives? It sounds ok, but I'm not sure about a return to Nidzilla days for as much as the monsters could do with a helping hand this does nothing for the gribblies who need it just as much (or more).

It's from the next White Dwarf, it's an Army of Reknown. It seems to play very well and makes big bugs a lot spookier. One of my mates plays Nidzilla and will be very pleased

Images curtesy of Faeit:

https://imgur.com/a/de6hQTd

It's kinda weird though that in troops you just got to endlessly spam Warriors. Maybe it's meant for other less troops-heavy detachments.

...unless we're getting rebranded Shrikes in Troops slot as a basic Warriors upgrade, it'd definitely make sense for the Stampede, could this explain their mysterious disappearance?

Currently it is unknown whether its for matched play or just Octarius campaign missions. Since its in WD, I am thinking the latter because it is ridiculously efficient. Breaking through is a single CP to effectively deal 6 mortal wounds (Mephrit Necrons are pounding their fists going what the hell, we are capped at 3 MW and its harder to achieve). This is a very scary army for any of my current armies to face

*stampedes into the Tyranids forum* RAWR Imma Tyranid now RAWWWR.

You get a universal invulnerable save, badly needed by many units and a universal -1 damage for monster is just incredible. Even Carnifex is more resilient than a Dreadnought now.

Recently with the Black Templars Codex, what leapt out wasn't their new Primaris Crusader Squad, it was their updated/upgraded Uphold the Honour of the Emperor Vow.  That's because it could an Invulnerable save and a lesser version of Transhuman Physiology to even Dreadnoughts like the Redemptor or the Invictus Warsuit, which would have been a massive buff to those big units.  I was thinking it might've been an oversight, that they would FAQ it to apply only to Infantry, as imho it was that significant a bonus.  I was considering a small Black Templars force just to run a Dread-heavy army to the point of wondering how to convert a Redemptor for more ZEAL.

I was still on that train of thought when this Crusher Stampede ZOOMED past on an adjacent track, and I want on that high-speed rail.  They got the Invuln bit and the Death Guard Disgustingly Resilient, which is the bit that makes them so survivable.

(In fact, I was just browsing y'all's Unit-of-the-Week thread about Hive Tyrants.  Learned a lot, thanks guys.  It's those on the tabletop experiences I find most valuable.)

I was putting together a Narrative Play Crusade Patrol, standard 25 Power Level.  Remembering it's Power Level rather than points costs, certain things opened up.

HQ: Hive Tyrant (Crusade rules have an easy upgrade for 2 Psychic Powers per Turn)

Troops: 3 Tyranid Warriors (compulsory Troops choice, Deathspiiters and Venom Cannon)

Heavy: 2 Screamer Killers (as Crusade uses PL, they're the same cost as a Carnifex)

So I'm thinking maybe in a typical game of 3 Objectives, the 2 Screamer Killers probably advance towards the opponent's side either to threaten their home or at least hold them back, Hive Tyrant behind them to hold the centre with lots of 18" shots/Smite/Psychic Scream, Tyranid Warriors guarding home.  The Screamer Killers benefit from all the Crusher Stampede rules and make up about half the Power Level of this Patrol, Hive Tyrant already has an Invuln save so only the -1 Damage (heh, ONLY, as if that's not enough), Tyranid Warriors only get the Invuln save but they're a little bit in back.

As it's just 6 models, it's very doable for me, looks like this may well be my army for 2022.  I've been gradually moving away from doing Infantry armies (I may do a Kill Team, but not a full army...guess I'm getting old) and moving to larger scale models (from Firstborn to Primaris) and wanted to do something Monster-sized with just Contrasts and inks.  I will await a FAQ to see if they decide to limit this...but I'm mainly curious for Narrative Crusade, so I'm really happy about this.

I mean, no reason to not get a bit more creative in monsters department, though Carnifexes indeed become impressively durable when you stack all -1 D, -1 to Hit, 5++, hell maybe even slap some Feel No Pain on and you've just got yourself a 250% increase in durability against lascannons over a regular T7 3+.

Other than obvious Fexes I'm looking forward to employing Trygons and Scythed Hierodul most, as both have loads of wounds, poor save and usually very quickly die in my games in the thick of combat...or even before.

Opened up my WD last night and am suitably impressed by this. I think Breaking Through is possibly one of the best/most insane strats in the game and will be a main damage dealer/threat remover. Despite all the bonuses from this army of renown, remember that Tyranids are still inherently bad in combat, lacking movement (creatures are largely M 6/7" compared to standard VEHICLE M10"), attacks (4A on a Hive Tyrant v up to 15 from a mutalith), strength (base dread weapon is S12, AP-3, D3 with no hit penalty, monstrous talons are S:User), weapons (random) and favourable bracket deterioration (most affect WS, S and A, meaning nids get triple penalised over say a predator which just loses BS and weapons remain 100% effective). 

Edit: Had to dash before.

As such, looking at breaking through, something like a Hive tyrant is doing 6MW on the charge to a unit of marines - likely as much, if not more damage than it's talons would ever do. Against a raider or NDK (t6?) the tyrant is doing 6 again, which is great. 

After that, we have some bonus utitility from all the stuff that adds extra attacks - Old one eye for example benefits from the +1 to hit from thunderous impact - getting extra attacks on a 5+, then a flat D4 with the talons.

Adaptive biology stacks with the crusher stampede for -2 damage on all attacks. Chuck in hyper adaptive from gorgon (+1T) Biomorphic carapace from leviathan (-1 to wound).  or Chameleonic from Kraken (-1 to hit), and you have a pretty tough cookie. 

Haruspexes seem an ok choice, -1D, 5++ and can regen wounds - the M7" is an issue, but as people want to get to the middle of the table it might get to combat faster. Carnifexes also good as they don't degrade. Venomthropes might be ok in a unit of 3 if you can hide them - -1 to hit and -1 damage across the board is pretty tough, and the 5++ on the venoms is great as they only have a 5+ anyway. 

Lictors and raveners benefit from the 5++ and can help with objectives, warriors with improves WS and BS also great, and hive guard getting a 5++ is damn tough.

*stampedes into the Tyranids forum* RAWR Imma Tyranid now RAWWWR.

I was putting together a Narrative Play Crusade Patrol, standard 25 Power Level.  Remembering it's Power Level rather than points costs, certain things opened up.

HQ: Hive Tyrant (Crusade rules have an easy upgrade for 2 Psychic Powers per Turn)

Troops: 3 Tyranid Warriors (compulsory Troops choice, Deathspiiters and Venom Cannon)

Heavy: 2 Screamer Killers (as Crusade uses PL, they're the same cost as a Carnifex)

Screamer killers arent great - I think you're better wit hthe base carnifex to get the spore cloud upgrade. Crusade also greatly benefits mixed role models, they'll do better with like a heavy venom/dual devs and talons and 3+ to hit. Basically anything other than screamer or thornback. Tyrants already get to cast 2, resonance barb lets you do 3. 

Edited by Xenith

BTW Battlescribe has been updated with the rules. Put together a Spearhead list with a Flyrant, Swarmlord, 2x Dima, 3x Scydules, and 3x Stone Crushers. I'm flying the Leviathan DNA this go around rather than Kraken to get access to some of the newer strats, but... I might just stick with my tried and true kraken. I just cant fall back and charge lol

Regenerating stygian Nightmare:

Hive Tyrant [Leviathan] CRUSHER STAMPEDE (-1D). Alpha Leader Beast (Adaptive Biology -1D + Gestalt Commander, choosing Endless regeneration each turn (regen on 6's); Biomorphic Carapace. Adaptive Physiology (1CP) Accelerated digestion.

T7, 12W, 4++, 5+++(with catalyst), -2Damage, -1 to wound, regenerates a wound per model killed in melee, regenerates 1/6 lost wounds in the command phase. If the opponent wants to focus it, then unbreakable chitin gives transhuman, meaning things can only ever wound it on a 5+. 

I think the Haruspex gains the most from thunderous impact - it makes it more reliable with +1 to hit (rerolling all hits from his strat) and +1 to dmg roll it has a 30% chance of killing 2 Talos with it's attacks alone (not counting MWs from breaking through). If it's leviathan then you can auto explode it for a disgusting 3MWs to anything close. I even want to give it the extra -1 dmg adaptation to ensure it get's into the enemy lines and make sure i explodes into their toughest units.

A few thoughts:

It's gonna be a tough choice of hive fleet for me as mine are painted in Kraken and synaptic lure looks like a great strat for this army comp, while Leviathan just got a whole load of new strats...

Tervigons can actually spawn termagants so I think leaving 50-100points in reinforcements to spawn some backfield objective holders or a late spawn to get an objective is what I'm thinking about. As far as I understand they don't get the 5++ but still get the fleet adaptation so roll 3d6 for advances when kraken. This could be really great if you need to get to an objective late. Likewise the 6+++ from leviathan is nice for a backfield unit.

I was lately thinking about selling my nids but this AOR has started to make me think twice about that.

Opened up my WD last night and am suitably impressed by this. I think Breaking Through is possibly one of the best/most insane strats in the game and will be a main damage dealer/threat remover. Despite all the bonuses from this army of renown, remember that Tyranids are still inherently bad in combat, lacking movement (creatures are largely M 6/7" compared to standard VEHICLE M10"), attacks (4A on a Hive Tyrant v up to 15 from a mutalith), strength (base dread weapon is S12, AP-3, D3 with no hit penalty, monstrous talons are S:User), weapons (random) and favourable bracket deterioration (most affect WS, S and A, meaning nids get triple penalised over say a predator which just loses BS and weapons remain 100% effective).

I knew all of this, but it's still unpleasant to read... Nids aren't the only army waiting on a new codex to save the day but that's not much consolation. The Crusher Stampede feels like a blunt instrument (rules wise that is :tongue.: ), but it sounds like there is potential.

I'm not sure if I'll use it but I'm keen to hear reports of how it performs on the table top :thumbsup:

Ah yes, many a guard regiment has reported harrowing tales of towering Zoanthropes smashing into their lines, rampaging with untold savagery. Crushing everything beneath their unbreakable chittin, no tank would be safe from their massive teeth, no men would be spared the eviscerating talons!

Yeah, it doesn't sound too convincing for what is essentially a big brain floating around, hardly appropriate for a monster stampede. Jokes aside, yeah, Zonathropes are pretty much the only thing allowed that gets no benefits, they could maybe receive some buff when casting Mass convergence to make them more appealing?

And btw we already have a real monster Zoanthrope - Malceptor - and it seems rather fluffy for this army.

Edited by Lautrec the Embraced

I think this (along with the Octarius material) have breathed new life into my Nids collection.

I tend to run a pretty elite Swarm as is so this fits perfectly for me!

I’ll start by getting another brood of Warriors then I’m good to go!

Hope everyone has a good Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a optimal loadout for warrior brood troops in the crusher stampede list? Have to admit, im very intrigued by this return of Nidzilla style army composition but have little knowledge of what warriors should be kitted for

Is there a optimal loadout for warrior brood troops in the crusher stampede list? Have to admit, im very intrigued by this return of Nidzilla style army composition but have little knowledge of what warriors should be kitted for

I've seen online some recent successful tournament army using 5 warrior strong units w/ deathspitter+swords combo and bioweapon bond on top of this. Other than that I'd assume that you could also go with cheap barebones 2x3 warriors and 1 big unit with spitters and some CP investment, like Rapid Adaptation

If you're going Crusher Stampede that means lots of big bugs, and they are better suited to tackling larger foes themselves. You can build some for lighter duties, but they only have so many attacks so hordes will be harder to deal with. This is where the Warriors could come in, keep them cheaper and focus on anti-infantry duties so they can keep the chaff busy/dead while your stampede gets stampeding?

I always tool my Warriors with Deathspitters and Bone Swords with as many Venom Cannons as I can.

Could someone help? I’m trying to do my list for a coming game.

How can I do the Army of Renown on BattleScribe? I can’t seem to find it.

Is it something I’m missing?