Question About Russ's Involvement in the Burning of Prospero

NemesorSobekta

While Russ has been shown as more level headed in the books, I still think he was goaded on by Horus to kill Magnus. The Primarchs have several beefs where they just hate each other and act accordingly irrational, Russ and Magnus have that dynamic. Did Malcador speak with Russ before he headed off to Prospero? I don't think Malcador and Magnus got along either. Russ and Malcador were close, so I guess that also played into it maybe. 

Let's face it. The part where Horus goats Russ into killing Magnus wasn't at all fleshed out. I have the strong feeling reading the books, that they handle every well known piece of lore like this. Horus fall as well.

Hello All. Quick question:

It has been mentioned that the Emperor wanted Magnus brought back to power the Golden Throne. Can anyone elaborate? (ie, when was this mentioned and in relation to the Prospero timescales?)

I was under the impression the web-way project would negate the need for Warp Travel, and if so, why then the need for the Golden Throne at all?

Now, I understand when Magnus broke the Imperial Seals, all hell was about to break lose. But upon sending the Wolves to Prospero, I suspect this wasn't a known/fully realised element (Warp infestation), otherwise I struggle to understand the logic of sending away the Valdor, portions of the Custodes/ Sisters of Silence/ Ordo Sinister?

Additionally, 'arresting' Magnus so he can power the Golden Throne seems a little 'knee-jerk' if the whole Web-Way project hasn't been written off? I am also curious if the Emperor knew/suspected if Magnus was corrupted by Chaos? If so, the forces being sent make sense (in case he is a warp-beastie needing putting down), but potentially hanging your whole back-up plan on a potential warp corrupted Primarch seems... unrealistic? 

Admittedly, making sense/logic out of GW/Black Library works may be a little unrealistic too :-)

The Golden Throne's primary purpose is to control the Webway project. When Magnus breached the seals, it was actually a double whammy. It allowed daemons to flood into the portion of the Webway that the Imperium was trying to access and control as their beach head. Secondly, it fused the controls of the Golden Throne jamming the Portal in the Imperial Dungeon open.

This is why the Emperor is stuck on the Throne for the entirety of the HH. If he gets off the throne, Terra will be engulfed by Daemons. Magnus is the only other being with the psychic strength to control the throne and survive. We know from future events that even Malcador can't sit on the Throne and survive for long.

I was under the impression the web-way project would negate the need for Warp Travel, and if so, why then the need for the Golden Throne at all?

They are the same. The throne is a psychic-powered machine to make/control webway portals and tunnels. There were others like the Dark Glass: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dark_Glass

Now, I understand when Magnus broke the Imperial Seals, all hell was about to break lose. But upon sending the Wolves to Prospero, I suspect this wasn't a known/fully realised element (Warp infestation), otherwise I struggle to understand the logic of sending away the Valdor, portions of the Custodes/ Sisters of Silence/ Ordo Sinister?

Magnus broke the seals of the webway portal in the Imperial Dungeon and created a warp breach in the Imperial webway that began to be infested with daemons from that very moment. The Custodes and Mechanicum were forced to fight them while the Emperor tried to fix the breach (unsucessfully). Valdor and the rest were sent with the Wolves to Prospero to help counter any possible sorcery and as his own eyes there.

Additionally, 'arresting' Magnus so he can power the Golden Throne seems a little 'knee-jerk' if the whole Web-Way project hasn't been written off?

The Emperor couldn't fix the seals of the webway portal threatening to infest the palace and Terra with daemons, only keep it closed using the Golden Throne. This was the Chaos gods pinning the Emperor there and making him unable to fight or intervene elsewhere against the traitors. He really needed Magnus to take his place on it, as later Malcador did briefly when the Vengeful Spirit raid happened.

I am also curious if the Emperor knew/suspected if Magnus was corrupted by Chaos? If so, the forces being sent make sense (in case he is a warp-beastie needing putting down), but potentially hanging your whole back-up plan on a potential warp corrupted Primarch seems... unrealistic?

I think it's implied that he knew that Magnus was Tzeench's pawn from the start, but as seen in the Fury of Magnus, he could still be "redeemed" and put safely on the Throne. At least until his last and most powerful shard (remember that he was broken by Russ) willingly embraced Tzeench.