Omroborus, confused

Polythemus

Hi after listening to most available audiobooks on all things dark angels I am still confused on what the omrobous actually is. A Wikipedia paged tried to paint it as tri partite warp organism along with tuchulcha and something else but not too clear on the reference for this. I am still slowly completing unforgiving trilogy and lord of the first.

any clarity provided would be helpful.

K so take a warp entity one which understand the concepts of time and space and has untold centuries of experience. Cut him into three.

Well one is a knowledge base, all his experience

One understands space and is an invaluable asset for navigating it

And the third understands time.

Bring them together and you can cross space and time and so with incredible confidence, consistency, and do so better then anyone else can. That's what the three pieces are. Individually all are useful and maybe they can serve as a knowledge base or a tool. But united they can do biblical :cuss.

As for how they were split, that part I'm not sure is ever made clear. We do know that the lion conversed with them and used them in his time ahead of the angels but that is about all we have. And that at some point before the events of the ruinstorm they became separated as how would have probably just used those to take the fight to Terra. Or elected not too that is entirely up for possibility

Ok cool so

Tchulcha is space awareness and some degree of prognostication.

Third thing is not known to have a name.

Ouroboros/omroboros/I’m boring us, is the knowledge part of said trinity. What is the reference to discribe it’s partial nature. The thing that confused me in the caliban Horus heresy books is that the tone of the writing made me think it was a possessed demonic world spirit because no good ever interacts with it and seems to be very nefarious in every way, seems like the watchers in the dark should be able to provide clues about its nature to the librarians that investigate it. It’s kinda describe as being part of caliban, is it still part of the rock?

Now I am aware tchuchulcha engine is destroyed but please don’t spoil the details, but what is the name for the third warp entity of the trinity and do we get a sense that omroboros is destroyed or unclear.

You mean the Ouroboros?

It is one of the exhibits in the case for why Gav Thorpe should never be allowed to come up with his own lore.

You will see when you get to Gav's brain-wave for the origin of the warp storm over Caliban.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but Gav Thorpe wrote codexes and things for GW studios before he wrote novels, he’s basically the architect of DA lore. I’m not particularly fond of his writing style or his command of the language, but I do find I’m intrigued with the concepts he’s created.

You mean the Ouroboros?

It is one of the exhibits in the case for why Gav Thorpe should never be allowed to come up with his own lore.

You will see when you get to Gav's brain-wave for the origin of the warp storm over Caliban.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but Gav Thorpe wrote codexes and things for GW studios before he wrote novels, he’s basically the architect of DA lore. I’m not particularly fond of his writing style or his command of the language, but I do find I’m intrigued with the concepts he’s created.

He has been the Dark Angels guy for a while. I would say his general treatment of Dark Angels has been poor and focused almost entirely on their involvement with the Fallen.

Towards the tail end of what he has written it really felt like no one was checking his ideas for sanity though.

The creation of a warp storm going back in time 10,000 years is many levels of bad. An idea like that should have been laughed out of the room, but apparently was not.

You mean the Ouroboros?

He has been the Dark Angels guy for a while. I would say his general treatment of Dark Angels has been poor and focused almost entirely on their involvement with the Fallen.

Towards the tail end of what he has written it really felt like no one was checking his ideas for sanity though.

The creation of a warp storm going back in time 10,000 years is many levels of bad. An idea like that should have been laughed out of the room, but apparently was not.

Each to his own, but the I enjoyed that idea, and it's ramifications

Each to his own, but the I enjoyed that idea, and it's ramifications

Here are a few reasons for my dislike:

- Completely changes the nature of a foundational event in the lore which was established decades prior

- Changing the past from the future (which is what it was) is a dangerous precedent to set for any story

- Tying those events together made the universe smaller

There is more to it than that, of course, but OP got his answer and I do not want to drag this thread too far off topic. Just tossing in my 2 cents in case there is anyone else out there who might also be looking at the lore and wondering why it seems "off."

I've read all of the Dark Angel lore in the codexes, novels, short stories, etc and I'm now confused.

1. The Tcuchula engine is destroyed? Did I miss that in the Legacy of Caliban trilogy? or somewhere else along the way?

2. Okay so the above, the Ouroboros, and another 1/3 were originally one Chaos entity? Was it a maloignant entity, as in corruptive, evil, etc such as daemons, and other bad stuff from the Warp?

3. What is/was the last 1/3 of that thing?

4. I was re-listening to Angels of Caliban the last few days and it dawned on me that Merir Astelan is still alive right? He is THE original first legion troll and [bleep] starter! I'm surprised no one put a bolt round through his skull? He is the most deserving, right behind Luther. A fully vile manipulative toxic pro!

Edited by Helias Tancred

I've read all of the Dark Angel lore in the codexes, novels, short stories, etc and I'm now confused.

1. The Tcuchula engine is destroyed? Did I miss that in the Legacy of Caliban trilogy? or somewhere else along the way?

2. Okay so the above, the Ouroboros, and another 1/3 were originally one Chaos entity? Was it a maloignant entity, as in corruptive, evil, etc such as daemons, and other bad stuff from the Warp?

3. What is/was the last 1/3 of that thing?

4. I was re-listening to Angels of Caliban the last few days and it dawned on me that Merir Astelan is still alive right? He is THE original first legion troll and [bleep] starter! I'm surprised no one put a bolt round through his skull? He is the most deserving, right behind Luther. A fully vile manipulative toxic pro!

It is implied that the Tchulcha is a vastly ancient device,

{one that was used (again implied) by the Old ones to create the webway (or at least thats my understanding of its own statements: "They made us, the one split into three,’ the essence of Chaos, refined and shaped. They thought they could tame the warp, use me to dig their tunnels and secret ways hidden from the eyes of the power that wule. They did not know that they made something else. Something far grander." . Also by itself it exists on both past present and future. }

If that is true destroying it would be immeasurably difficult if even impossible, or might have dire ramifications to the space time continuum. Or you know....this is all the lies of daemon engine...Emphasis on daemon....Though so far there is not much to even suspect of it lying about anything.

Regarding your questions: 1)Unlikely but I think its far from confirmed whats the status of the three pieces after the destruction of the time rift (correct me if I am wrong anyone).

2)Yes and no. See the spoiler. They were originally more or less created for certain purposes and most likely / ironically to help bypass the warp. If they were somehow corrupted (or the opposite) is kinda an unknown factor. Though given the nature and agenda of Ouroboros and the Plagueheart, a strong case can be made for corruption 

(though Tcuchula calls on Nurgles influence on them as 'interference'. The plagueheart is a living planetoid that looks like its festering with nurgle corruption)

3)Tchulcha + Oroborous + Plagueheart. The last one is a chaos (looks like it) artifact.

EDIT: IDK What I am doing wrong....I read the instructions and yet I cant seem to hide the spoiler text... :sad.:

Edited by Brother Immolator

Try putting a line break before

. The spoiler hides a chunk of text behind a button but I don't think it can handle in-line obscuring as part of a larger paragraph.

At this point I am starting to think that either I am an idiot or it might have to do with my language settings.

EDIT: Yep language it was.

Edited by Brother Immolator