[OW/X - Tau]: Operation Fireknife (OOC & Discussion)

Mazer Rackham

I found the ‘Tau Character Guide’ online and have used information from there to fill out more information on Monat’s character profile. I don’t think the multi tracker will be of much use, but it is part of the suits system, so fringe situational options I guess.

I also noticed that the rail rifle profile given in the guide is a bit different from the one I found before. I assume it is a more modern attempt to translate the rail rifle from 40k main to here (as in 3rd/4th edition 40 main rail rifles had ‘Gets Hot’ and this disappeared in later editions) and make use of the new weapons quality they are introducing with the guide.

Having looked at the number the damage output seems comparable. The version in this guide has a flatter bell curve, so will however more around the average, and has an inbuilt way to mitigate the lowest rolls. It also has extra pen for really well armoured targets.  

Since we have already modified the other one I am inclined to stick with that profile already in the character profile, but it is your call Mazer.

Edited by Trokair

Kroot Base Stats:

WS     30

BS      25

S        25

T        25

A        30

I         20

P        25

W       25

F        20

+2d10 each

Wounds = Toughness*2 + 1d5 + 3

Kroot Kindreds:

Bold Hunters - +5 BS, +5 to wrangling tests, +10 against Fear or Pinning Tests

Cunning Hybrids - +10 Int, +5 to Barter and Decieve tests, +1 Initiative

Greenskin Hybrids - +10 Toughness, applied after starting wounds are calculated.

Headhunters - Pass all toughness tests vs toxins, beak loses primitive quality and gains toxic

Stalkers - May make Concealment and Silent Move tests as a free action, even when observed.

Kroot Mercenary Career:

Starting Skills - Awareness, Concealment, Dodge, Silent Move, Speak Language (Kroot, Low Gothic, Tau)

Starting Talents - Universal basic weapons training, exotic weapons training (kroot rifle), universal melee weapons training, heightened sesnes (sight and hearing, mercenary

Starting Traits - Natural Weapons (Beak_ Unnatural Strength*2

Starting gear - Kroot rifle, mono-knife, kroot leathers, kroot-modified void-seat, micro-bead.

They've got their own advances and talents as well, with the shaper being an alternate career at rank 3.

Included in their section of the armoury are Kroot leathers (AP 2), Kroot Hunting Rifle (single shot, breech-loading version of their regular rifle), and the Krootbow (a high tech rapid firing crossbow with toxic quarrels)/

You know, gee whiz, I couldn't find any.

Not even on the internet.

Who'd a thought?

EDIT: Since this is a one-shot (at the moment) I don't mind a little bit of mangling the rules, so if one of the Kroot wants to be a Shaper, that's fine.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Nice work on the chargen Beren.

Are the traits worth it?

We can make the Shaper position more worthwhile with a small stat increase and access to better stuff (Pulse weapons?)  Perhaps even a Shaman type with a couple of not-quite-psychic powers?

Thoughts?

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Baseline, the Shaper Gets instinctual Understanding (if it's eaten an example of a species before, it can look at one per combat to gauge wounds and char bonuses - kind of moot given the nature of the pbp format) and Shamanic Powers.

Shamanic powers acts a prerequisite for three Shamanic Power talents, two of which act a bit like squad modes for kroot (but can be given to non-kroot on a passed willpower test) giving a melee related bonus for one and a stealth related bonus for the other. The third, Prophetic Dreams, gives a re-roll to a test within the next 24 hours as well as a vision potentially holding plot-related hints.

Also, while the rules don't auto-give a Shaper a pulse rifle, the art for the alternate career does.

Cool.  We'll see what we can do about incorporating that if need be.  Nice work.

I was wondering about Kroot communication - obviously the Tau are going to speak normally, but how do we envisage the Tongue of Pech?  I know in fluff they chirp and whistle, but would that convey into maybe abstract dialogue?  I haven't come across much Kroot linguistic interaction.

They do indeed, I was just thinking about interaction between themselves.

EDIT: In other news...

Pulse Blaster / Class Basic / Range 30m / RoF S/2/- / Damage 2d10+2 / Energy / Pen 3 / Clip 12 / Rld Full / Plasma Scatter / Wt 7kg

Special: Plasma Scatter.

The standard ammunition of these weapons spreads out, hitting more of the target. If fired at a foe within Point Blank range (3m), every two Degrees of Success generates another hit. However, at longer ranges this spread of small projectiles reduces its effectiveness. Penalties to Hit are doubled at Long or Extreme Range, but due to the nature of the ammunition, armour points are not doubled.

Thoughts?  Does this fit the weapon well?

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I am still confused about why a show about Tau is named after an Eldar faction

Baking my noodle as well.  *Shrug*

In other news, the IC should begin to open up soon.  Does anyone need help with character creation?  I still have a few bits and bobs to port into the OP, but Players can drop background etc.  I they're the same race, they could even develop mutual history about where they served etc before receiving the call to embark on this Great Journey? 

I am still confused about why a show about Tau is named after an Eldar faction

I assume it is a pseudo Latin derivative of Exodus, and the possibly conflated with the Eldar faction name (as their name was probably similarly derived).

That or the show is actually about Eldar, and all this Tau stuff is a side plot/misdirection.

I'm just in the process of creating my character now. Would it be possible for me to throw my hat in for the role of Shas'vre? So far my character concept is a veteran Fire Warrior who prefers to take to the field in standard armour rather than a Battlesuit - someone who would potentially become a Fireblade in the future rather than rising to the rank of Commander.