[OW/X - Tau]: Operation Fireknife (OOC & Discussion)

Mazer Rackham

Would it be possible for me to throw my hat in for the role of Shas'vre? So far my character concept is a veteran Fire Warrior who prefers to take to the field in standard armour rather than a Battlesuit - someone who would potentially become a Fireblade in the future rather than rising to the rank of Commander.

Monat has no problem with this, she is not a leader anyhow. 

I'm just in the process of creating my character now. Would it be possible for me to throw my hat in for the role of Shas'vre? So far my character concept is a veteran Fire Warrior who prefers to take to the field in standard armour rather than a Battlesuit - someone who would potentially become a Fireblade in the future rather than rising to the rank of Commander.

Interesting...(makes notes).

If anyone else wants the position there could be a democratic vote based on the background or even a bloodless honour duel, but I don't foresee any problem.

I am still confused about why a show about Tau is named after an Eldar faction

Perhaps someone's fan-fiction got picked up by GW about the connection between the creation of the Tau by the Eldar?

Rise of the Tau, anyone?

(Edit: typo)

Edited by Machine God

Slightly off-topic, but I have been advised a book about the Tyrant of Badab, Lufgt Huron will be out soon.

We can only wait and see if there is anyone...familiar in it...

On Topic:  That sketch from WH+ looks remarkably similar to the opening of Fireknife's plot...

The only Kindred type that I'm not convinced by is the Poisoned Beak one.  I'll do my best to get the Chargen page updated tonight.

I have manged to add our personis dramatae though, in between the sky falling (just very busy all of a sudden).

In other news, the IC should begin to open up soon.  Does anyone need help with character creation?  I still have a few bits and bobs to port into the OP, but Players can drop background etc.  I they're the same race, they could even develop mutual history about where they served etc before receiving the call to embark on this Great Journey? 

Is it too early to ask about Starting Skills and Talents?

Edit: I see that there is a list of starting Talents, Skills and Traits in the Character guide (p12) for Fire Warriors, so I’d assume all Tau player characters of at least Shas’la status would have these.

Edited by Trokair

Thanks for the kind words Tech, I'm glad at least we can explore and enjoy our creative ideas around the forum.

We wish you all the best with your projects as well. :smile.:

Thanks. I am working with some Authors to see if I can develop a flowing story. Right now it's going roughly. I will post the outlines I have in the fan fiction area hopefully to get some input and ideas flowing. 

Thanks. I am working with some Authors to see if I can develop a flowing story. Right now it's going roughly. I will post the outlines I have in the fan fiction area hopefully to get some input and ideas flowing. 

Keep at it - and remember the first draft of anything is always rough!  Refining a story is a long process.  I wish you all the best with it.

@Tro:  Yes, I thought you might enjoy actually meeting him and following his orders....

@Dawnstar, I see you went for a drone controller, not the Breacher in the end - was the Pulse Shotgun not to your liking?

Edited by Mazer Rackham

@Dawnstar, I see you went for a drone controller, not the Breacher in the end - was the Pulse Shotgun not to your liking?

Not at all. It's a little embarrassing but I had actually completely missed that you'd posted that. Sorry if it feels like you wasted your time.

I'd always been open to the idea (so it wasn't just this), but after seeing that we might have as many as three Kroot I decided to go with the archetype that felt like it had a far more distinct and "T'au" niche. It also helped that I had a much better sense of what sort of personality I wanted to put behind the drone tech and how I was going to make them fun to play.

While we're on the subject, we're going to need to make some decisions about drones ahead of the game: how many, do they replace Comrades, rules streamlining etc.

Edited by Commander Dawnstar

Not at all. It's a little embarrassing but I had actually completely missed that you'd posted that. Sorry if it feels like you wasted your time.

I'd always been open to the idea (so it wasn't just this), but after seeing that we might have as many as three Kroot I decided to go with the archetype that felt like it had a far more distinct and "T'au" niche. It also helped that I had a much better sense of what sort of personality I wanted to put behind the drone tech and how I was going to make them fun to play.

While we're on the subject, we're going to need to make some decisions about drones ahead of the game: how many, do they replace Comrades, rules streamlining etc.

Just quickly, no, I didn't think I wasted my time, but kudos for being a gent :wink: I understand the urge to reinforce the character of the Tau as well.

On the subject of Drones and Comrades, great minds think alike - perhaps two drones.  I'll bone up on the RT rules for them and see what we can mash up. :thumbsup:

Why not equip at least one of the Drones with a Pulse Shotgun?

Questions like this remind me of: "Well why not put three chainsaws on it - got one of 'em anyway" and "Well can't you make ten louder?  Nah, goes up to eleven!"

I think it would be unwise to say yes to this. :tongue.:

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Mhm. The alternative rank in Rogue Trader is Drone Handler and is basically framed as something like a modern drone pilot, but given that its advances cover things like Trade skills (weapon design, working with chemicals, repairs), Forbidden Lore: Xenos, and Master of Technology which represents "...intricate knowledge of the machinery and equipment [the T'au] produce..." it's definitely straying into Earth Caste territory.

I put something in my background to cover this under the the idea of a studious Sept like Bork'an experimentating with exposing members of the Fire Caste to some degree of relevant Earth Caste studies. Not to train them to do another Caste's work - of course not - but to empower them to make better-informed decisions in the field when working with the Earth Caste. A Drone Handler might not be allowed to do substantial repairs to their charges, but it only makes sense to help them better explain any faults and get things in order for the person who'll do the real work.

Also with a Kill Team operating away from non-combatant support it makes sense to have someone who knows their way around tech even if they probably shouldn't...

Edited by Commander Dawnstar

Why not equip at least one of the Drones with a Pulse Shotgun?

Questions like this remind me of: "Well why not put three chainsaws on it - got one of 'em anyway" and "Well can't you make ten louder?  Nah, goes up to eleven!"

I think it would be unwise to say yes to this. :tongue.:

begging-big-eyes.gif

Actually I’m good :p, just thought it would be a way of combining the two for Dawnstar to play both roles in a way is so inclined.

Also with a Kill Team operating away from non-combatant support it makes sense to have someone who knows their way around tech even if they probably shouldn't...

I like the idea that there's a bit of cross-training, so that he's a Combat Engineer type - it would fit right in with Shas'O MalCaor's asymmetric warfare preference, and hence why he would have been chosen.  This is shaping up into the Tau Dirty Dozen :p

Actually I’m good :tongue.:, just thought it would be a way of combining the two for Dawnstar to play both roles in a way is so inclined.

I have considered your impassioned request...but still no...

:p

"This is Tony Keys, reporting live from the soon to be front line. Personnel from the Operation Fireknife team, have, will have, soon to appropriated a Launch for the operation. Probably stol, procured by the Glorious Tau Empire for the Greater Good! All Hail the Ethereal's of the Tau'Va!"

Updated Monat’s profile a little, chose a Sept of Origin, the Pioneer spirit of Tau’n seemed appropriate.

Applied the Sept bonus to BS because hitting is preferable, and AG as that the AG value is now over the minimum requirement to be a battle suit pilot as per page 25 of the character guide, the less we have to bend the rules to make things work the better.

Also tinkered with the Rail rifle overcharge, changed the d3 to d5 and added the suits enhanced motive systems and the weapon itself to the failure options, hope that’s an ok with you Mazer.