[OW/X - Tau]: Operation Fireknife (OOC & Discussion)

Mazer Rackham

So, Mazer begins this game and within a week this gets shown, coincident?

Somewhat of topic, but also relevant I feel.

I just watched episode 1 of the  Exodite in my lunch break, really enjoyed it.

Might be biased on account of the XV15 and XV25 Stealthies shown, but looking good all around, we get to see the inside of a Tau ship, some Mantas, lots of cool stuff. Do wish it was longer, but I guess more will come in the coming weeks.

Won’t say more so as to not spoil, but the title makes a wee bit more sense now.  

Monat:

An'Rho's face is a mask of concentration and headache both.  "Yes noble Fire Warrior, there was a crash, a moment before we lost all power.  A thump on the port side, amidships.  I thought we hit something, then the noise started."

She looks up to your sensor pod, with it's bright lenses, and shudders.  "I was in the galley with my learned uncle, the emergency lights came on, then a sound like rocks being chewed by an Ursi'cata'n."

"We ran with everyone else, behind us, red eyes, charging through the darkness."

She realises you intend to seal her in, and drops to her knees, clutching one of you armoured limbs.  "Please noble Warrior, I am sorry about striking you - please do not leave me here alone, would you have me locked in here to suffocate or starve?"

She is a Water Caste.  Her training, even though slight at her Rank, would give her the Gift of Tongues.  Please make an Opposed Willpower Test.

Charm Attempt:

Fel: 40, (Trained)

D100: 27 Pass, Plus 1 DoS.

Mazer, just realised that while I wrote a fluff response to this I did not actually make any rolls or account for the results in how Monat reacts, so sorry.

What penance should be undertaken?

Might be biased on account of the XV15 and XV25 Stealthies shown, but looking good all around, we get to see the inside of a Tau ship, some Mantas, lots of cool stuff. Do wish it was longer, but I guess more will come in the coming weeks.

Won’t say more so as to not spoil, but the title makes a wee bit more sense now.  

I don't have WH+ subscription, and have never bought a White Dwarf.  Ever.

I would keep spoilers free.  Coincidences like this make parts of me itch that have no name or any ointment.

Mazer, just realised that while I wrote a fluff response to this I did not actually make any rolls or account for the results in how Monat reacts, so sorry.

What penance should be undertaken?

I am certain I can arrange something.  Seriously though, don't sweat, your response was reasonable and in character.

Are you a latent Psyker?

As for WD, the old ones (as from when I was a child) where good, but over the years the quality went down until the ultimate doom that was the weekly cardboard edition. When they came back to monthly I started getting them again as they regained some of their lost quality.

WH+ has replaced my WD subscription, as it does kind of the same things, Lore, paining tips, Battle reports, the random mini/event thingy. Plus the animation have been entertaining, if rather limited in quantity. The back catalogue of random books/WD has also been ok but it’s not the same as taking a 20 year old magazine of my shelf and flicking through.

Anyway, moving on.

I am certain I can arrange something.  Seriously though, don't sweat, your response was reasonable and in character.

In case it makes a difference for down the line interactions with her, I just rolled a 47, so probably failed.

1:Are you a latent Psyker?

2: In case it makes a difference for down the line interactions with her, I just rolled a 47, so probably failed.

1: I could tell you of things that happened, such occurrences of fate or fortune, that coincidence as a concept is completely and laughably insufficient.

2: I regret that we're past that now...(eerie midnight cemetery wind whistle).

I'm thinking of doing a a 'Flashback' post or two about Tony Keys. 

I'm going to do it in different colour Italics, and I was wondering what colours to use as some colour fonts are unreadable on smartphones etc?

So here is the question. I await some help.

All you really need to do is maybe just break up the text a bit.  Just post how you wish, then when the flashback comes just put:

++++++++++++

Sandwich it like this.  You can then italicise or do whatever, and we'll all know it's in Tony's noggin.  The two main colours we use orange/green are effectively to avoid the problem you describe, so this is just a bit easier.

++++++++++++

Hope that helps?

Just a quick one guys, I'm going to streamline the campaign a bit to allow the regular posters a bit more opportunity to interact.

This means I will be trap-dooring some of the characters we have, other than regular posters.

What this means is that we're now down to four characters, so this will become a narrative game only.  As such, I'm relying on my players to add tension to their narrative, and come up with creative solutions to the crud I drop on them without dice.

It will also encourage me to roleplay my NPC's a little more.

I hope to move us on in the next day or so.

In short, yes they will.  The characters will not be 'axed' just moved to the background.

Mechanically speaking, I've done a little bridgework on this already with Kyosha being badly wounded and R'nan needing to remain behind.  Anuk'Var is a satellite character who could relate other incidents to heighten tension, provide narrative context from a different location etc.  That does leave the door open if anyone wants to stick their oar in later, but it will be limited.

The narrative aspects will take into account mainly dialogue, have no auto-win button in a high Fellowship, you'll have to actually convince who you're talking to.  As for the rest, it will be up to you if you're hit, how badly etc.  Or maybe you don't quite make the leap, and you're slipping by your fingertips over a drop...

Think of it as writing an interactive, collaborative novel in which you are all POV characters.  We're almost there anyway.

The only goal that counts is the story, I give you the situation as usual, and you embellish as much as you like, or make it straightforward.

I'll still try to  kill you  er, I mean, present opportunities for challenge.

We'll only need a roll when something absolutely, definitely, needs to be resolved on arbitrary outcome (like PC vs PC, because that gets a bit sticky otherwise).

Edited by Mazer Rackham

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies lads/ladies, as you may or may not have guessed this has come off the rails a little bit and isn't working out the way I'd hoped.  With other commitments looming, this will have to be shelved for now, but so far we did pretty well with it.

Will see you around the other games, and thanks so far everyone for your contributions!

Maz.

No worries Mazer, life happens.

I was actually thinking about this game today, and wondering what had happened to your intended update and whether I should write a scene or two. Got as far as rereading the last page of IC stuff but had not yet got round to anything further.

Yes same for me too Mazer.

IRL gets in the way, my plans for Tony haven't gone anywhere. But ...

We'll always have Paris No, nothing weird, we can pick up again between episodes of Plunder 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Sorry for the Threadomancy.

All of my posts in the IC thread which had been edited have been further edited. The edits were from before the software change. I've found that posts need a few lines left at the bottom of each post, because the new edit function now appears on the line directly underneath the last line in the post.

I've found that it it reads better that way.