Custodes Naming / Names

TomFX

Hello Agents of the Imperium sub forum, this is my first post down here (relatively new to the forums you see).

I was wondering what do we know of the naming conventions of the Custodes?

I know they earn various names which they inscribe on the inside of their armour - I'm not sure why or what this is based on?

However, what I'm interested in is - what real word languages Custodes characters names have been taken from / inspired by?

I'm currently working on my first 40K army in over 20 odd years and I've chosen Custodes for a variety of reasons but because the model numbers are so few and they are supposed to be individuals fighting together rather than a cohesive fighting force like the Adeptus Astartes, I was planning to give every model a name plate on the base and need some inspiration to get authentic sounding names, are they Latin inspired like Ultramarines or something different?

I'm currently immersing myself in the lore but have a lot to catch up on so any pointers or thoughts you have would be really beneficial.

Here are all the named Custodes from Lexicanium

Heresy-era

Assigned to Lorgar

Assigned to Corax

Post Enthronement

Grotsmasha posted a great list, looking through it there are some themes- Roman-style names are clearly the largest group, but there are some Asian/European names in there as well. Doing the majority of your units with a Latin sounding name will work well, throw in some others to add variety and you'll be good to go.

I think classical names as best you can. The Emperor was a little sentimental and liked a bit of homage to mankind's history.

Turkish heroes, middle Eastern heroes of legend, old European names, old English names, even native American Indian names sprinkled in would work well.

Latin has it's place but don't go too heavy or you'll end up stepping on the toes of Ultramarines somewhat. Same as biblical could be a little Dark Angels-y.

Here are all the named Custodes from Lexicanium

Thanks for that Grotsmasha.

Grotsmasha posted a great list, looking through it there are some themes- Roman-style names are clearly the largest group, but there are some Asian/European names in there as well. Doing the majority of your units with a Latin sounding name will work well, throw in some others to add variety and you'll be good to go.

I think classical names as best you can. The Emperor was a little sentimental and liked a bit of homage to mankind's history.

Turkish heroes, middle Eastern heroes of legend, old European names, old English names, even native American Indian names sprinkled in would work well.

Latin has it's place but don't go too heavy or you'll end up stepping on the toes of Ultramarines somewhat. Same as biblical could be a little Dark Angels-y.

Indeed, I think you're both right, in short don't lean too heavy onto one type, ancient classical names from a variety of civilizations should do the trick. Thank you.

So, what happens with the awarding of names to Custodes they gain extra names for every battle/ major event that takes place that they are involved in?

Edited by TomFX