Idiot question : Principia Bellicosa Support Squads

Hi all ! I would like to have your expert opinion on an idiot question that I can't wrap my head around.

I'm a big lover of organization and strategy in general, and so I am completely nerding out with the Principia Bellicosa in Betrayal.

The Legion is organized in different sub groups, including the Company. They mention that a Company is itself subdivided in 3 groups each containing 2 Tactical Squads and 1 Support Squad.

They also list company assets next to the chart, which I won't go into details for the moment.

My question to you is the following :

- Do you feel that the Support Squads refer specifically to the Tactical Support Squad in the army entry list ?

Or instead do you believe that they imagine that this squad refers to any type of support squad or attached assets ?

Will withold my perspective, and will be happy to hear yours!

Hi all ! I would like to have your expert opinion on an idiot question that I can't wrap my head around.

I'm a big lover of organization and strategy in general, and so I am completely nerding out with the Principia Bellicosa in Betrayal.

The Legion is organized in different sub groups, including the Company. They mention that a Company is itself subdivided in 3 groups each containing 2 Tactical Squads and 1 Support Squad.

They also list company assets next to the chart, which I won't go into details for the moment.

My question to you is the following :

- Do you feel that the Support Squads refer specifically to the Tactical Support Squad in the army entry list ?

Or instead do you believe that they imagine that this squad refers to any type of support squad or attached assets ?

Will withold my perspective, and will be happy to hear yours!

Seeing as there are things like Recon Companies, Tank Companies, Bike Companies, etc. in the case of a Tactical Company, they're probably referring to Tactical Support Squads being the support element.

Yarrr that section seems to refer specifically to Standard/Tactical companies so id expect its specifically tactical support squads.

Which is why i quite like the Mournival packs bringing in the requisite support squads for other companies :) 

Thank you all !

It's interesting to see the different takes on the topic ! Spontaneously, I would assume that this is a Tactical Support Squad, but I'm wondering whether or not FW let it open for other types of squads to consider.

In a 'typical' 40k board, the HSS would seem like a more natural support squad loadout, while the TSS would feel more suited to ZM games due to the lower range of their weapons.

Arent heavy support squads specifically noted as a company or battalion level asset? Which means i assume there is a full company/detachment of them on the To&E intended to be permanently split among the other companies.

Arent heavy support squads specifically noted as a company or battalion level asset? Which means i assume there is a full company/detachment of them on the To&E intended to be permanently split among the other companies.

Yes, they are. Heavy Support Squads at a company level asset, so there must be a company of them to be split in support of different companies like you said.

That also would imply that the Bataillon/Chapter level is the standard unit for self sufficient warfare in the Heresy. It's probably written somewhere but I must have skipped it. That would mean that most operations are planned at the Chapter level.

I'd imagine it'd be safe to assume that most Chapters would be working in a combined arms force quite as a standard operating philosophy rather than be purely an infantry force.

You also need to consider that in 30k, Companies aren't locked into a 100-marine limit (some legions have 500-man companies) and Chapters can range from 1k to 10k+ marines in them.

So, when making a 30k Force, if youre making a Chapter from a Legion assume they have access to any and all legion assets.

Also, that Legions have entire companies of what would be considered idiosyncratic units such as Raven Guard Siege Companies, Imperial Fists Recon, Death Guard Jetbike, World Eaters Air Wings, etc.

Oh yeah once you move away from the Principia you get all sorts, but that wasnt the question ;) 

Honestly though, discussing the wider organisation of Legions in their final forms isnt much fun because of how inane and arbitrary some of it is based on the numbers shift and most authors having no idea how anything above company level has to work :( Which is fine for the game/setting in general but frustrating for logistics nerds :P 

Oh yeah once you move away from the Principia you get all sorts, but that wasnt the question :wink: 

Honestly though, discussing the wider organisation of Legions in their final forms isnt much fun because of how inane and arbitrary some of it is based on the numbers shift and most authors having no idea how anything above company level has to work :sad.: Which is fine for the game/setting in general but frustrating for logistics nerds :tongue.:

Haha word! I guess I'm not the only logistics nerd around :D

I always assumed "support squad" was either tactical support squad or Legion heavy support squad. I always thought certain legions would be more likely to have a heavy support squad (IF, IH, IW etc) as backup in that instance on the org chart mentioned.