=] The 12 Months of Hobby 2022 [=

Grotsmasha

Introducing

gallery_48988_15094_29321.png

Challenge+ is a new addition to this years 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and will feature four 3 Month long Challenges, one each for the four Quarters of the year.

sml_gallery_48988_15094_627.png

The first Challenge, running from January to December is the What if? Challenge. If you choose to take up this Challenge, you will be creating (kind of) a custom unit for the game. You will need to take an existing unit entry from one Codex, and shoe-horn it into another. For example, I will be doing;

What if the Tau weren't incompetent in Close Quarters Combat? What if they had an Assault Intercessor type unit?

Once you have chosen your unit swap, you will need to complete two tasks, the first is to re-name the unit with a suitable name for the new Faction, as well as any Wargear and Special Abilities they may have. Secondly you will need to model and paint a single model from your created unit.

Please keep the units to infantry sized models, no Tanks or Independent Characters.

Please choose different proper Factions, please don't do What if? Dark Angels had this Blood Angels unit, or Space Wolves unit etc.

sml_gallery_48988_15094_9927.png

The second Challenge Copy Cat, running from April to December, is a little easier. You must choose one of the other What if? entries and model a single model from that new unit.

sml_gallery_48988_15094_2014.png

The third Challenge, Wordsmith, running from July to December requires a small short story of an interaction (peaceful, or not...) between the two models / units you have completed in the What if? and Copy Cat Challenges. I'm not going to put a word limit on these, but think 300 - 500 words or so (I won't be counting though).

sml_gallery_48988_15094_9599.png

The fourth and final Challenge, running from October to December is to place the two models you have created, onto / into a scenic diorama base, showing or referencing details from the Wordsmith Challenge. I recommend looking at a 80mm or 90mm base for this, as I've found 60mm a little crowded.

sml_gallery_48988_15094_25.png

Lastly for anyone who manages to complete all four Challenges by Years End, the Challenge+ Veteran Badge will be awarded.

The Challenges should be completed in order, however, as you can see from the timing of each Challenge, once the Challenge has started it remains open for the rest of the year to allow newcomers to pick up the Challenge+ challenges if they so desire.

When you pledge to a Challenge+ challenge, or complete a Challenge+ challenge, please place the correct badge from above into your post for easier identification so that I don't miss anything. I will re-post the badges with each new month for ease of access.

I also have an idea for that challenge (something I have contemplated before, anyways) and I am wondering-

do single elite choices for an army also count for this?

Because I had been toying with the idea of a Chaos Hexmark Destructor.... how awesome would that be?

Heck, even if you do not count this for the challenge, I might just do one and present here anyways.

Great idea and great challenge!

Hmm, intriguing. I'm very tempted to do chapter serfs for Blood Angels; they serve as personal servants, crew on the battle barges, are a large pool of industrial/medical/clerical labour and in Devastation of Baal the Angels basically drafted every potential aspirant they could find, gave them a gun, and put them on the fortress monastary walls.

For that sort of unit, Guard would be too boring, I think neophytes from the genestealer cult would be more appropriate. Near fanatical devotion to the Angels would fit Unquestioning Loyalty very nicely, along with the more... industrial weaponry for troops that aren't normally expected to fight; but are trained as they may get caught up in a boarding action or outpost defence.

Would also fill a nice slot for BA of a low cost light infantry now primaris scouts seem to go directly to phobos armour, and given the BA are on the wrong side of the Rift, fluff has them in dire straits for manpower.

So the question is what would be what base model/equipment. Hooded robes would fit general serfs in a fortress-monastery or other redoubt, and I could see them running to the arms lockers in a dire threat.

For fleet based armsmen, the elucidian starstriders are a touch too expensive to obtain these days at £160 a box! and solar auxilia aren't much better; I don't currently have either.

I do know just the line I could 3D print without breaking the bank - from Digital Anvil, the Gothic Void line, that also fits rather well with GSC Neophytes style. (they're also available as resin parts from anvil industry if someone wanted to copycat at fairly low cost)

0012640_digital-gothic-void-troopers-ful

I mean check out the leftmost head on this booster pack, is that not just perfect for a Blood Angels voidsmen sergeant?

0013234_digital-gothic-void-booster-pack

I'll think on it some more, but yeah... definitely tempted.

Edited by Arkhanist

I also have an idea for that challenge (something I have contemplated before, anyways) and I am wondering-

do single elite choices for an army also count for this?

Because I had been toying with the idea of a Chaos Hexmark Destructor.... how awesome would that be?

Heck, even if you do not count this for the challenge, I might just do one and present here anyways.

Great idea and great challenge!

You know, this really fits in with the theme....plus I really want to see that model :tu:

Hmm, intriguing. I'm very tempted to do chapter serfs for Blood Angels; they serve as personal servants, crew on the battle barges, are a large pool of industrial/medical/clerical labour and in Devastation of Baal the Angels basically drafted every potential aspirant they could find, gave them a gun, and put them on the fortress monastary walls.

For that sort of unit, Guard would be too boring, I think neophytes from the genestealer cult would be more appropriate. Near fanatical devotion to the Angels would fit Unquestioning Loyalty very nicely, along with the more... industrial weaponry for troops that aren't normally expected to fight; but are trained as they may get caught up in a boarding action or outpost defence.

* SNIP *

I like it 

Keeping the idea, but after seeing the trailers for Angels of Death, I need to rethink the models - Gothic Void are cool, but too bulky. This is obviously an officer with coat, but I think the void suit needs to be more like this.

AoDArt1.jpg

Edited by Arkhanist

There are actually a bunch of BA armsmen shown fighting in a few of the Angels of Death episodes, if you can check it out I would recommend it. I did do a quick google for relevant image but only the captain of the ship (as depicted in the sketch you already have) showed up.

Yeah, I don't have warhammer+ and aren't really up for subscribing given the cost/value of it generally. I might do a month just for Angels of Death for inspiration. Currently thinking Neophyte torsos and arms to get that neck collar (have a spare kit, somewhere in the garage!) with alternative 'void suit' legs and a suitable head; I might do a custom STL for that. Not so much bridge crew, but more basic armsmen, and probably helmetless to make a better diorama.

Right, well this sounds awesome.

I've already been toying with the idea of using the GSC rules for a proxy Inquisitorial strike force.

I reckon Aberrants should make a good base ruleset for some form of Arco-flagellant style combat servitor things, probably using a Goliath ganger for the physical conversion.

One quick question- I take it we'll be allowed to make a second version of our mini for the diorama if desired?

Right, well this sounds awesome.

I've already been toying with the idea of using the GSC rules for a proxy Inquisitorial strike force.

I reckon Aberrants should make a good base ruleset for some form of Arco-flagellant style combat servitor things, probably using a Goliath ganger for the physical conversion.

One quick question- I take it we'll be allowed to make a second version of our mini for the diorama if desired?

Yep, absolutely acceptable :tu:

This challenge sounds like a lot of fun! Since I have no immediate great idea for a unit, I rolled some dice and got Chaos Knights and Harlequins, which sounds very incompatible, but another game system gave me an idea that feels hilarious and silly in equal measure, so hear me out:

I'm going to Chaos-ify the Skyweavers into an invention of the Dark Mechanicum that performs a similar function to Elementals in Battletech. I'm imagining some form of chaos-corrupted cyborg unit (maybe Thallax?) that hold on to the carapace of a Chaos Knight when it charges into battle. They jump off at an opportune moment and go after targets the knight can't reach or try to outflank it. The haywire guns could be turned into a scrapcode weapon to attack enemy vehicles.

It would need twisting the rules a bit though, as I'll need to make up something that allows them to be transported by a Knight, possibly turning them into Infantry. Would this be acceptable?

This challenge sounds like a lot of fun! Since I have no immediate great idea for a unit, I rolled some dice and got Chaos Knights and Harlequins, which sounds very incompatible, but another game system gave me an idea that feels hilarious and silly in equal measure, so hear me out:

I'm going to Chaos-ify the Skyweavers into an invention of the Dark Mechanicum that performs a similar function to Elementals in Battletech. I'm imagining some form of chaos-corrupted cyborg unit (maybe Thallax?) that hold on to the carapace of a Chaos Knight when it charges into battle. They jump off at an opportune moment and go after targets the knight can't reach or try to outflank it. The haywire guns could be turned into a scrapcode weapon to attack enemy vehicles.

It would need twisting the rules a bit though, as I'll need to make up something that allows them to be transported by a Knight, possibly turning them into Infantry. Would this be acceptable?

Shoe-horn Skyweavers into Chaos Knights?  I have to see that....

I, Jackalwolf, previously known as Grieux, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete my Vlka Fenryka Spartan Assault Tank by month's end.

Here's the tank as it stook on January 1st, all interior complete but 0 progress on exterior:

8Mu5xbr.jpg

As of January 9th:
v6rr87u.jpg

And as of today:
ZOlceFH.jpg

PS: Finally managed to procure Space Wolves original FW doors from a store in Spain so hopefully they'll get to me in time to finish them.

Edited by Jackalwolf

I was thinking Imperial Guard assault squad, then that would give me an excuse to build a unit for 1st ed games. But then I thought of a Chaos Sister of Battle, that gives me an excuse to start a whole new army!! :devil:

Well might be a good time to hop in with it being the start of the year and all.  Especially good motivation for Back to Badab and Novamarines...

I, Slyen, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete a Novamarines Tactical Marine by month's end.

I, Slyen, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby 2022 Plodding Along Challenge, and for the first 6 months pledge to complete one half a Space Marine Battle Company by June's end.

Edited by Slyen

I, Tawnis, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete these XV8 Crisis suits that have been in my pile of shame for 15+ years. XD

Can anyone enlighten me on how to post a pic, I'm not super savvy with this kind of thing. XD 

Edited by Tawnis

I, Tawnis, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete these XV8 Crisis suits that have been in my pile of shame for 15+ years. XD

Can anyone enlighten me on how to post a pic, I'm not super savvy with this kind of thing. XD

First step is to create a Gallery. Click on the Gallery Tab top of page under the rotating Banner.

Then to the right of screen will be a red Upload button, clicking on that will get you going, and it's quite straightforward.

Once you have created your first Gallery, you can then access them by clicking on your screen name top right of page

First step is to create a Gallery. Click on the Gallery Tab top of page under the rotating Banner.

Then to the right of screen will be a red Upload button, clicking on that will get you going, and it's quite straightforward.

Once you have created your first Gallery, you can then access them by clicking on your screen name top right of page

Thanks, apparently my 3.9MG file is too big to upload, I'll have to play around with it a bit, see if I can convert it to something else or something. Again, not very savvy with this kinda thing.

I, Jackalwolf, previously known as Grieux, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete my Vlka Fenryka Spartan Assault Tank by month's end.

Here's the tank as it stook on January 1st, all interior complete but 0 progress on exterior:

* SNIP *

PS: Finally managed to procure Space Wolves original FW doors from a store in Spain so hopefully they'll get to me in time to finish them.

Well might be a good time to hop in with it being the start of the year and all.  Especially good motivation for Back to Badab and Novamarines...

I, Slyen, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete a Novamarines Tactical Marine by month's end.

I, Slyen, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby 2022 Plodding Along Challenge, and for the first 6 months pledge to complete one half a Space Marine Battle Company by June's end.

Welcome all to the Challenge :tu:

Thanks, apparently my 3.9MG file is too big to upload, I'll have to play around with it a bit, see if I can convert it to something else or something. Again, not very savvy with this kinda thing.

If youre taking the pics on your phone, theres a free Photoshop App that I use to crop and resize my pics before upload, super simple :tu:

I just had, what is in my mind, the most wonderful idea!

Ork Plasma Inceptors! The Inceptors as a concept feel so Orky to me, huge rocket pack, dual explodey guns, I'm honestly really excited about it! This will be my Challenge contribution!

Edited by Danny Cyanide