=] The 12 Months of Hobby 2022 [=

Grotsmasha

Here we go: I, Miek, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete a Lokhust Heavy Destroyer by month's end.

This would complete my new 1k Novokh army, and let me focus on my Skavens afterwards :smile.:

gallery_225534_16617_143695.jpg

Vow complete!

Edit: Hum it doesn't seem *that* blue and grainy in real life... oh well.

gallery_225534_16611_483305.jpg

gallery_225534_16611_264649.jpg

That tank is fantastic Majkhel!

Really looking forward to the complete model Aeternus, it looks very promising.

Edited by Miek

1) Do I go for iron/silver trim or a dark bronze/brass?

2) What lucky lil chapter/legion gets to be on the trophy rack?

1- I definitely prefer the look of bronze on NL

2- Everyone auto-chooses Imperial, but how about some hazard stripes on the grill and do Iron Warriors?

I did indeed go for bronze on the weight of all your suggestions, and it was the right choice for this guy I reckon! Contrasts nicely with the other colours going on.

For the helmet on this guy's trophy rack I think I'd prefer something Imperial, though mixing in some other renegade legions is a good plan that I'll use for the rest of the challenge :D 

And the Rubrics are done - really happy with how the scheme came out. The picture showed I need to be a little more precise on the wash/lines of the blue/yellow striping, but in person it's barely noticeable. Considering they are the first squad they'll probably get a revisit/touch up at the end of the project for any tweaks/improvements/lessons I pick up on the other models.

gallery_56701_17274_37004.jpg

He’s an eight legged steed, born of fire and steel. Sworn to break and conquer for the Allfather, the Jarl. Fenris born, in dunes lost. Now it’s back, at the wolftime.

0UvoWHu.jpg

LKjMxYk.jpg

uxtnatH.jpg

t2iui4d.jpg

4ApFGic.jpg

eRJmwMQ.jpg

I claim my vow complete, Sleipnir, chariot of the Jarl of Jarls, is back from the Ashes of Prospero.

I, Grotsmasha, hereby vow the Emperors Champion for 100pts to the Eternal Crusade before the end of January (2022). I enter with the mark of the Neophyte, and through the trials of fate and fire, rise to the rank of Initiate by journey's end as a true brethren of the Black Templar order. Should I fail in my vow, I will bear the mark of failure until year's end as repentance.

gallery_48988_16869_120318.jpg

Vow Complete

gallery_48988_16869_19088.jpg

gallery_48988_16869_100755.jpg

gallery_48988_16869_61837.jpg

So, you may have noticed the sword is different, I dropped my painting handle on it and OBLITERATED the sword (thankfully, only the sword), so I'va had to re-print and re-paint the sword or I'd have been done last week.

Additionally, I've found another cool model to print, if some one could help me out with the points cost,

I, Grotsmasha, hereby vow the Hero of Helsreach, Reclusiarch Grimaldus for xxxpts to the Eternal Crusade before the end of January (2022). I enter with the mark of the Neophyte, and through the trials of fate and fire, rise to the rank of Initiate by journey's end as a true brethren of the Black Templar order. Should I fail in my vow, I will bear the mark of failure until year's end as repentance.

gallery_48988_16869_96203.jpg

Finally put in the time on Grimaldus the last few days and brought him up from primed to complete,

gallery_48988_17280_114681.jpg

and here they are both together

gallery_48988_17280_115694.jpg

gallery_105306_14251_650197.jpg

gallery_105306_14251_1060246.jpggallery_105306_14251_1280238.jpggallery_105306_14251_1587379.jpg

gallery_105306_14251_444515.jpg

I have finished the Sicaran finally :smile.:

A bit of a grind towards the end, but I feel it was worth it :biggrin.:

He’s an eight legged steed, born of fire and steel. Sworn to break and conquer for the Allfather, the Jarl. Fenris born, in dunes lost. Now it’s back, at the wolftime.

0UvoWHu.jpg

LKjMxYk.jpg

uxtnatH.jpg

t2iui4d.jpg

4ApFGic.jpg

eRJmwMQ.jpg

I claim my vow complete, Sleipnir, chariot of the Jarl of Jarls, is back from the Ashes of Prospero.

You two have made this months Favourite decision a real challenge.....

For the What If challenge, would this be acceptable?

What if Space Marines had their own living saints…

That sounds like a fantastic idea :thumbsup:

Edited by Grotsmasha

Hah, it i s supposed to be a 'Challenge' after all :tongue.: I for once am confident we will all see some really awesome stuff still this month, mark my words. Thank you for kind words too :smile.:

I will follow up with a small vow:

I, Majkhel of the Blood Angels, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete a set of alternate weapons for the Sicaran tank for the glory of the Angel by month's end.
med_gallery_105306_14251_1620053.jpg

As you can see, I'm already experiencing a serious case of having too many ideas to fit the model with this one :biggrin.:

Edited by Majkhel

@Grotsmasha

Thank you so much for hosting the Hobby Challenge 2021 and for putting up the 2021 favourite poll (a nice surprise)!

@all

Thank you so much for all the votes my Raven Guard received! I am stunned! :) Majkhel's Blood Angels Leviathan was my favourite too :yes:

Edited by Jaipii

Weather is not allowing me to prime, so my DW Raven Guard is still waiting to be painted.

In the mean time I did get a lot done on my What If Challenge piece.

SM-Living-Saint.jpg

Still need to add in a little fire…

Edited by Custom Hero

:jawdrop:

That 'What if' is absolutely :cuss awesome!! Can't wait to to see some Raven Guard also! :wink:

Weather is not allowing me to prime, so my DW Raven Guard is still waiting to be painted.
In the mean time I did get a lot done on my What If Challenge piece.SM-Living-Saint.jpg
Still need to add in a little fire…

Edited by Interrogator Stobz
Swear filter Dodge. Please use :cuss instead

Normally I have lore blurbs ready when I finish painting a model, but this month has been exhausting, and I can't think of any. :sweat:

Regardless, VOW COMPLETE!

gallery_46204_9220_23855.jpg

Uh... the face actually looks more detailed in reality. I went quite light with the washes this time, so the picture's washed it out a lot.

I had to put the flash on though, since I basically don't get proper light now until about March. :laugh.:

I keep trying to think of a reason none of my Repentia have cut their hair off, or marked their faces.

Out of universe, the only thing I didn't like about the new repentia were the faces, so I kept most of the bare heads from my other kits to use with them.

In-universe... I have no idea.

Maybe the Order of the Iron Tower think intentionally disfiguring your Emperor-given face is a sin?

Maybe they just think average Imperial Joe is more likely to rise up and fight for The Emperor if the command comes from a pretty face?

Perhaps it's just some plain old vanity at work, or maybe it's that images of the Order's most influential martyrs always show them as beautiful, young and vivacious, even if in reality they had a face like a sack full of doorknobs and were missing most of their teeth after a training accident.

Actually, maybe it's all of those things, to some degree or other.

More pics below in the spoiler!

gallery_46204_9220_16698.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_11922.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_14987.jpg

The base will of course eventually get sand and a quick, dirty Agrax wash over the top, but I'll wait until all my Sisters are done, and then base them all together.

Well, at least I have now basecoated the models for the "What if" challenge. :p

Challenge-WIP.jpg

I have ordered some fancy new chameleon colorshift paints, and I will try these out on some test models first.

The victims will be a couple of cultists and the Necron hero which came with the first issue of the new Imperium supscription magazine (saw it during lunch break at the supermarket today and just could NOT walk past).

I am really curious for these colorshift paints, because they would be great for magic/ warp sorcery effects and would actually be a perfect fit, thematically, to the "What if" models.

But I will have to test them out, first.

Oh, and I also converted the Primaris Lieutenant into another champion for my Night Lord pirate crew. I had some leftover Forgeworld bits lying around, so he now looks fittingly awesome.  :D

Now the only thing I need is some time for painting. Sadly, I will be on duty the next two weekends, so not much painting will happen till February.

So therefore I expand my painting vow for February to include the test models, so I am planning to do the Venomcrawler, the two cultists and the Necron in February.

And if they turn out well, I might even do the "What if" models (I still have not decided which one I will definitely go with....)

Cultists.jpg

Great-Deal-WIP.jpg

I think I will be taking up the What If challenge.

My initial unit is going to be a Tau Bladeguard Veteran equivalent.

Just as the skills of individual tau may vary within their cast so some Ethereals are not skilled at being natural leadership. Of these some have talents for melee combat with the traditional ethereal weapon of the Honour blade. While dedicated melee fighters is not considered an aspect of modern warfare as far as the Tau are concerned they do appreciate the skill of arms for ritualistic, sports and traditional purposes. Exposure to the concept of dedicated warriors of the Aspect Shrines through diplomatic relations with some Craftworld Eldar, and a recognition that some more primitive enemies in the galaxy will respect and acknowledge combat of champions over conventional military doctrine. As such an experimental formation was formed consisting of ethereal and even some fire and earth cast members that show a talent for melee combat. Equipped with shield generators for defense, and Honour blades incorporating captured power field technology.

Starting point, the start collecting ethereal, will hopefully have the conversion work done in the next week or so and then I can vow the painting for February.

gallery_29932_13153_71860.jpg

I am also going to commit to a plodding along vow for the year, the painting of all my Aeronautica Imperialis models.

This is what I have built so far, there are some imperial planes left to built at some point, but I have plenty to be getting on with for now.

gallery_29932_13153_104686.jpg

Thank you very much for the comments! :)

- I did get myself a new small detail brush for Christmas (Mig Ammo). https://www.migjimenez.com/en/tools-brushes/1446-20-premium-marta-kolinsky-round-brush.html

It's been amazing for highlighting and much of the credit for my sharper highlights can be given to it! :D

Skitarri Infiltrators done so I'm done for January. Honestly I really didn't like working with these models and can't imagine ever buying any more, so am calling them done even though I maybe could do more on the long coat,

gallery_56701_17274_5247.jpg

Edited by Cleon

Here's the first batch of 7 Boyz for my completion this month. (Bases are left black as the organizer of the charity army will be doing all of the basing to keep the army consistent.):

(Linked thumbnails to save load times)

Slugga-Boyz-Batch01-group.jpg
Slugga-Boyz-Batch01-02.jpgSlugga-Boyz-Batch01-03.jpgSlugga-Boyz-Batch01-04.jpgSlugga-Boyz-Batch01-05.jpgSlugga-Boyz-Batch01-06.jpgSlugga-Boyz-Batch01-07.jpg

I usually paint in batches of 5, but I kept going with the original 2 test models to make them match the rest. Next batch is primed and ready for paint!

I will echo Heraclite with laudations of the black armour - I would even venture a thought that your proficiency with highlights is increasing! :thumbsup:

Also those lovely skin tones - very appropriate for the sons of Corax!

Thank you very much for the comments! :smile.:

- I did get myself a new small detail brush for Christmas (Mig Ammo). https://www.migjimenez.com/en/tools-brushes/1446-20-premium-marta-kolinsky-round-brush.html

It's been amazing for highlighting and much of the credit for my sharper highlights can be given to it! :biggrin.:

The proof is in the pudding, as they say, Feb 2021 vs. Jan 2022

I'm not saying 2021 is bad, it was my Favourite for teh month, but there's clear, significant improvement :tu:

gallery_197938_16113_25584.jpg

gallery_197938_16113_594154.jpg