New Supplements, New Primaris Units

L30n1d4s

Several sources are saying that Ultramarines, Salamanders, Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, White Scars, and Raven Guard are getting new, updated Supplements in line with 9th edition this coming year. 

If this is true, then almost assuredly they will get some kind of new Primaris unit(s) released alongside these Supplements, whether a unique character, unique unit, or even a new Astartes unit that all chapters have access to.

So, what do you all think? What kind of Primaris will GW release alongside these updated Supplements? My guess is something like the following:

---

1 - White Scars -- Primaris Kor'Sarro Khan on Bike and Primaris Captain on Bike available to all Chapters (dual kit release)

2 - Raven Guard -- A new Sniper "Elites slot" named character (i.e. something like Moriat from 30K, perhaps dual multi-shot pistols that ignore Look Out, Sir!)

3 - Imperial Fists -- Siege Lieutenant in Gravis Armor special character (normal Lieutenant rules, but allows a selected unit to gain an additional +1 Dmg for its shooting against vehicles/buildings for its Heavy Weapons)

4 - Ultramarines -- Primaris Chaplain Cassius model (all the normal Master of Sanctity buffs built in, plus an aura of 6s to Wound generate an extra Wound in melee )

5 - Iron Hands -- Special Character Primaris "Heavy Melee" Dread and also a generic version of the Primaris "Heavy Melee" Dread available to all Chapters (dual kit release)

6 - Salamanders -- Primaris Harath Shen model (basically a normal Primaris Apothecary, but with all the Chief Apothecary abilities and the ability to select one non-vehicle unit in the Command Phase to have a 5+++ FNP, with everyone else in his aura getting the normal 6+++ FNP)

Edited by L30n1d4s

I'd like to think those chapters will all get new models again, but even the big non-compliant chapters only got new datasheets made from existing plastic. That being the case, I don't see any of them getting much this time out, although the Smurfs will probably get Cassius or another character.

Now TENTH edition, I could definitely see another round of characters turning up then, alongside upgrade kits similar to what the Templars got. This time out, I just expect a generic upgrade kit. 

Wouldn't be opposed to the Khan/Captain thing but so far they've avoided having a chapter specific named character and generic chapter-agnostic character in the same kit. Lazarus' alternate build is still a DA model, for instance. I think we'll be waiting for a distinct "Primaris Captain on Bike" model before we see a White Scars Khan on Bike.

We know there has to be some sort of update at some point to the other ones though, as far as upgrade kits and all go. For example, the squad marking decal for DA Deathwing Bladeguard veterans is only available in the starter sets, so obviously something has to break there before those sets are retired, or relatively soon after (in 10E).

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I'm hoping that each chapter receives a unit that isn't a HQ, but a thematic infantry option.

I don't know what they would all be. Some are fairly obvious - Raven Guard could get Primaris jump infantry with Lightning Claws. Salamanders could get Gravis units with hand-flamers and Thunder Hammers, etc

There will be some additional, obvious inclusions, such as Uriel Ventris being included in the Ultramarines supplement.

I'm personally hoping for some additional wargear options or vehicle upgrades also.

I just don't see GW limiting Shrike-pattern jump infantry with lightning claws to Raven Guard, though. That's a unit that would be at home in any chapter. Why would GW limit sales to one small portion of the customer base?

I always figured that a generic squad like that will be the Primaris equivalent of Vanguard Vets while Raven Guard will (eventually) get something even more distinct.

I'm not convinced the other chapters will get new upgrade kits in style of the templars. Mainly because they all already got one, even if it is only half in size. Perhaps I could see them making a second sprue of additional goodies and include the old one, since it has all the pads and helmets already? Maybe a generic one with the generic relics that was suggested at some point, but I dunno, I'm just not going to be shocked if there's no new chapter specific upgrade kits.

New units though, those flood gates aint closing again

There are a few characters that should get updated to Primaris, with improved rules and better inclusion in the current lore.

-Pedro Kantor (first and foremost. I think the Crimson Fists need to be shown some love)

-Lysander

-Vulkan He'Stan

And...

-Cato Sicarius. This guy is so iconic. He is often a meme, but at the end of the day he is a household name in the world of Warhammer.

Good morning, Brothers. Hope you sent off 2021 in style.

Maybe we'll get some actual Primaris news today with the teaser/reveal/whatever.

For the record, I would LOVE to be wrong and for the upcoming releases accompanying the codex-compliant chapter supplements to be more substantive than I envision. I'd just really be shocked if any of them (bar the super-extra-special Ultramarines) got anything more than the codex-divergent chapters got when their supplements came out.

Basically, I think a lot of people seem to be overestimating what the Primaris line - and in particular specific chapters - will be getting in the next year. But on the positive side, I think there are a lot of folks who are  underestimating where the range will be in five years (which would mark the tenth anniversary of the line and also either the last year of Tenth or the first year of Eleventh).

Tenth Ed. may end up bringing out far more chapter-specific stuff than generic Primaris releases. I just don't see any other chapters getting the Black Templars treatment THIS edition.

One thing to consider - for all of the love the Primaris have gotten from Games Workshop, we haven't seen a followup release from Forge World since the Astraeus dropped way back in 2017. I think it's safe to say the line has been accepted by the community and several products have likely gone from the drawing board to some stage of production.

Primaris Mastodon, anyone? Overlord? How does one Primarisize a Castellum Stronghold? Thunderhawk Transporters and/or Stormbirds redesigned to carry Impulsor or Repulsor chassis vehicles?

Well, no luck today. Short of GW dropping more info during a "New Model Monday" or just randomly during the week at some point (which IS entirely possible, I'm not discounting that completely), then I guess we can all just look forward to some reveals at or around LVO at the end of January. Given GW's tendency of not doing full model reveals more than two or three months out from a release, it would seem that March is still a good timeframe for the Captain and Ancient to drop alongside or as part of whatever else we're getting. And LVO would be the obvious time to crank up the hype train for that.

I'm not convinced the other chapters will get new upgrade kits in style of the templars. Mainly because they all already got one, even if it is only half in size. Perhaps I could see them making a second sprue of additional goodies and include the old one, since it has all the pads and helmets already? Maybe a generic one with the generic relics that was suggested at some point, but I dunno, I'm just not going to be shocked if there's no new chapter specific upgrade kits.

A generic upgrade kit would be GAS! Imagine having actual bits for the Shield Eternal or the the burning blade! That and some Veteran bits thrown in…few helmets fancy shoulder pads maybe some nice standard weapons…. I’d buy 10

I can definitely see the codex compliant chapters getting their own codex supplements, but I'm not convinced they each will get a unique special unit. It's not like GW created a new wheel with Black Templars in terms of the Sword Brethren or Crusader Squad unit. So I'd wager no to a new chapter specific unique unit. Now a chapter character that gets a new primaris version (Pedro Kantor) or an existing primaris character like Kor'sarro Khan on a bike, I'm more warm to that wager. I don't foresee a Darnath Lysander primaris version unless as a marketing lead-in to a new primaris terminator kit. The huge annoyance GW still practices is the deep love for extreme, and I mean very extreme, slow-walking anything that's really cool or been long awaited. So .. yeah, thats my .02.

Edited by Helias Tancred

A generic upgrade kit would be GAS! Imagine having actual bits for the Shield Eternal or the the burning blade! That and some Veteran bits thrown in…few helmets fancy shoulder pads maybe some nice standard weapons…. I’d buy 10

That was my thinking when I suggested a generic upgrade kit was coming - can't imagine the Black Templars being the ONLY chapter to have their relics represented in plastic and there's a gaggle of generic relics in the codex that I can't see GW just throwing in with an Ultramarines upgrade kit and forcing all the other chapters to buy that if they want those common relics.

I also think they'd likely pack in another set of Sergeant weapons so that folks working on Intercessors don't need to pick up an Assault Intercessor kit and hopefully Hellblaster Sergeants can get another Plasma Pistol they won't have to pay an organic arm for (a holstered version would be nice too).

I'm not convinced the other chapters will get new upgrade kits in style of the templars. Mainly because they all already got one, even if it is only half in size. Perhaps I could see them making a second sprue of additional goodies and include the old one, since it has all the pads and helmets already? Maybe a generic one with the generic relics that was suggested at some point, but I dunno, I'm just not going to be shocked if there's no new chapter specific upgrade kits.

The thing is though, they DON'T have "all the pads" in those existing chapter kits. Phobos aside (I'm not sure they'll ever produce chapter-specific versions of those, but they might), there are a lot of recent kits that have different styles of shoulder pads than the original Tacticus and Gravis models.

Eradicators and Heavy Intercessors have pads with no ridges, just like the Inceptors. ALL of the existing chapter Gravis pads have ridges similar to the Aggressors. That's a pretty big unserved market that money-lovin' GW probably won't ignore for long.

Now add in the ridged Tacticus pads on Assault Intercessors. Again a very different look from the non-ridged O.G. Tacticus pads that are available in the chapter kits. And that look might carry over to the MPK Outriders whenever they're released. As-is, it's already closer to the two-thirds ridged look of the push-fit Outriders than the non-ridged pads are.

Edited by Lord Nord

Pretty sure the aggressor pads are intended to be used on all manner of gravis units, and blade guard too since they fit. The templar upgrade kit too, only came with aggressor style gravis pads, and regular tacticus pads so are no different to the older upgrrades in that regard. 

I agree with you, they are different yes. But different enough that we'll see all new upgrade kits? I won't be holding my breath.

I don't think codex chapters will get unique units. I think Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Space Wolves will all eventually get full primaris treatment with unique units and an improved upgrade set, but not anytime soon.

My personal theory is that we are building towards an Armageddon campaign at some point, maybe to end 9th edition a year or two down the line. That may see big releases for Khorne, Space Wolves and Blood Angels. I think it will be a global campaign, similar to the one we had early in 8th, which couldn't happen at the moment for obvious reasons.

If they do unique units, they have to be meaningful or else it doesn't add anything to the faction. The Hounds of Morkai for instance didn't really do anything for the SW, but at the same time just allowing for the Deathwing upgrade on Dreadnoughts, Repulsors, etc. went a lot further on the DA side. Main point being datasheets for the sake of datasheets won't necessarily do anything.

So it'd be cool if they manage to find a way to make that work for everyone, but I don't think it's as easy as it sounds.

Look at Black Templars. Primaris chapter exclusive kits could be stylish and well welcomed. I think the first founding 8 may not "equally" receive their new products in their 9th marine waves. e.g. some receive characters, but WS receive a bike kit, IH received a named dread. Edited by Tokugawa

I cam see it more going down the route of generic units with the Supplements letting you upgrade them to a Chapter specific version with additional rules, equipment or a stat bump

- Ultramarines: Upgrade your Veteran Intercessors to Tyrannic War Veterans

- White Scars: Upgrade your Outriders to Keshig Veterans

- Imperial Fists: Upgrade your Siefe Redemptor

And so on....

Rik