New Supplements, New Primaris Units

L30n1d4s

I'm not convinced the other chapters will get new upgrade kits in style of the templars. Mainly because they all already got one, even if it is only half in size. Perhaps I could see them making a second sprue of additional goodies and include the old one, since it has all the pads and helmets already? Maybe a generic one with the generic relics that was suggested at some point, but I dunno, I'm just not going to be shocked if there's no new chapter specific upgrade kits.

New units though, those flood gates aint closing again

A generic upgrade kit would be GAS! Imagine having actual bits for the Shield Eternal or the the burning blade! That and some Veteran bits thrown in…few helmets fancy shoulder pads maybe some nice standard weapons…. I’d buy 10

yeah this would be really cool. The Black Templars release really raised the bar for Primaris kits as far as detail and variation go; previous releases feel very plain in comparison.  A chapter-agnostic upgrade set including bits with more bling would be excellent.

If they do unique units, they have to be meaningful or else it doesn't add anything to the faction. The Hounds of Morkai for instance didn't really do anything for the SW, but at the same time just allowing for the Deathwing upgrade on Dreadnoughts, Repulsors, etc. went a lot further on the DA side. Main point being datasheets for the sake of datasheets won't necessarily do anything.

I agree, I think the Blood Angels Death Company Intercessors fell into the same trap. Technically it was a new unit but without the ability to take Jump Packs or customise wargear, it lacks a reason to exist in preference to the Firstborn version. I guess you can stack Transhuman with Refusal to Die but it seems an unfluffy combo to use on a unit that is supposed to be seeking a heroic death in battle. :biggrin.:

My personal theory is that we are building towards an Armageddon campaign at some point, maybe to end 9th edition a year or two down the line. That may see big releases for Khorne, Space Wolves and Blood Angels. 

A primaris Captain Tycho model that is all questionable warp-entity like The Sanguinor perhaps?!?!? ... ;) lol.

/sarcasm off

I've said since the new Black Templar releases, the best chapter that could get a similar treatment would be the Dark Angels, with the Space Wolves and the Blood Angels a very distant (and smaller) second and third ... of course when GW decides to make the Grey Knights primaris, a similar big release of unique units and a hefty upgrade kit could quickly follow?

Edited by Helias Tancred

I've said since the new Black Templar releases, the best chapter that could get a similar treatment would be the Dark Angels, with the Space Wolves and the Blood Angels a very distant (and smaller) second and third ... of course when GW decides to make the Grey Knights primaris, a similar big release of unique units and a hefty upgrade kit could quickly follow?

Grey Knights is a tricky one, due to the size of it theyd have to do the entire line at once or not at all

Think they just gave Castellan Crowe a size increase but no Primaris keyword though they have option in future to do that

Dark Angels would certainly be pretty cool for the next one they do, but I personally think they'll do Blood Angels first. Dark Angels need another round of generic kits to fill out more RW/DW, and honestly are having a pretty darn good time with their existing kits and can probably be pushed to later for that reason.

They are on a roll with doing more Gothic elements though, with SoB and now BTs, so maybe DA tickles their fancy as far as aesthetic goes.

GK I don't think they'll make Primaris, could just bump them up in scale like they did Castellan Crowe and handle them like DG are handled vs CSM.

Dark Angels would certainly be pretty cool for the next one they do, but I personally think they'll do Blood Angels first. Dark Angels need another round of generic kits to fill out more RW/DW, and honestly are having a pretty darn good time with their existing kits and can probably be pushed to later for that reason.

They are on a roll with doing more Gothic elements though, with SoB and now BTs, so maybe DA tickles their fancy as far as aesthetic goes.

GK I don't think they'll make Primaris, could just bump them up in scale like they did Castellan Crowe and handle them like DG are handled vs CSM.

blood angels need proper jump infantry (I really dont think inceptor or suppresor style or even the shrike style would suit BAs). DA need a deathwing viable option. Wolves are the ones that don't need a codex compliant new unit really. Most of their packs are "just" very wolf-blinged versions of regular ones, then they have their more unique stuff. So I'd actually expect wolves to be the first of the three to get a BT style update.

Probably: BT style upgrade sprue with new gubbins compatible with a bunch of existing primaris units plus relics/frost weapons etc. Primaris thunderwolf riders would be the truly unique unit offering for them presumably, or wulfen, though IMO wulfen are already pretty well scaled to primaris. Plus a bunch of characters. Perhaps a "wolf pack" set that is very much like crusaders being intercessors with more wolfy details essentially, and some extra melee options in there.

I'd expect DA to happen once terminators get an update, or for their unique unit to be a stormshield wielding gravis unit. I'd expect BA to get an update once the tacticus jump infantry designed by the design team see a model release, their unique unit will probably be sanguinary guard or death company, or BA might simply not get a new unit release and just get an upgrade sprue release.

I'd expect DA to happen once terminators get an update, or for their unique unit to be a stormshield wielding gravis unit.

Doubt many Dark Angels fans would accept Gravis anything as a replacement for Deathwing Terminators. The latest Black Templars release gives me hope that GW understands this.

Just stick a Primaris Marine in a suit of Terminator armor and call it good.

Doubt many Dark Angels fans would accept Gravis anything as a replacement for Deathwing Terminators. The latest Black Templars release gives me hope that GW understands this.

Yeah, that suggestion always baffles me. Most DA players say that making Gravis like that isn't what they want, but non-DA players keep trying to force it. Even just the Bladeguard stuff is fine, because they look like knights and all, but adding Terminators is what we want.

Just like how Blindhamster mentions that Inceptors/Suppressors aren't a suitable replacement for jump infantry for BA, Gravis isn't suitable for Terminators for DA.

Steps on Soapbox

See, with all due respect and I mean that, these last 10 or 12 post focusing on special units for DA, BA, and SW is why the Big Four have the reputation of being Snowflakes with the rest of the Astartes Chapters. Why don't we take a minute and toss some love at the other Founding Chapters. You boys have multiples of your special units. How about a measely one each for the White Scars, Imperial Fist, Raven Guard, Salamanders, or Iron Hands? Sorry guys but after thirty years of getting all the love, could you please take a moment to share a thought for your under-represented Brothers?

Steps off Soapbox

:)

Depends on those chapters.

Something like Mor Deythan would be cool for RG & friends, but just as DA/DW/SW/BA didn't see anything new this round, I'm not certain they'll even do a character for the others. They may, they may not.

As I said above, a new datasheet doesn't do jack for making your chapter more unique if it doesn't have purpose over what's already there, either by lore or by utility, especially if it's not even a unique sculpt.

And as well, a few of those 10-12 posts covering DA/BA/SW were mentioning in the context of RG, WS, etc. that very concept, given the experience notably from BA and SW, who have unique Primaris datasheets that are relatively useless in comparison to the existing one, and don't have unique sculpts to make them particularly BA/SW, only paintjobs to work with.

Not saying they can't, won't or should't add them, but just take it at face value that any datasheet added may be disappointing and you may never use it, and that feeling that you didn't get anything may continue even though you did get something.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Steps on Soapbox

See, with all due respect and I mean that, these last 10 or 12 post focusing on special units for DA, BA, and SW is why the Big Four have the reputation of being Snowflakes with the rest of the Astartes Chapters. Why don't we take a minute and toss some love at the other Founding Chapters. You boys have multiples of your special units. How about a measely one each for the White Scars, Imperial Fist, Raven Guard, Salamanders, or Iron Hands? Sorry guys but after thirty years of getting all the love, could you please take a moment to share a thought for your under-represented Brothers?

Steps off Soapbox

How about suggesting some Primaris options for those chapters then, since it is on your mind?

Not like we have a limited amount of posts available here that fans of Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Space Wolves are using up.

Excellent point as well. You're the Raven Guard player, what do you want to see?

I'm only working on RG for 30k, not 40k, so I can only provide things I know are in the XIX Legion that are expressed by the geneseed of Corax, which is why I mentioned Mor Deythan.

I may not play Primaris, but from the Iron Hands perspective I'd like to see Gravis Helfathers.

What's a Helfather, you say? They appeared in the Guymer novels. They're Terminators armed to the teeth -- an assault cannon on one arm and a heavy flamer on the other. They are not regular Space Marines though; they are created using the Keys to Hel to resurrect dead Iron Hands and said revenants are incredibly hard to kill.

Give us Helfathers based on Aggressors. Maybe bump the FNP up to a natural 5+, let them take the flamers *and* the fragstorm launchers?

The Salamanders had no (known) successor chapters until the Ultima founding, so I think they would be an interesting candidate to do something with, as there hasn't been 10,000 years of divergence.

I don't know what that something would be, but they've been granted a bit of a blank canvas there.

The Salamanders had no (known) successor chapters until the Ultima founding, so I think they would be an interesting candidate to do something with, as there hasn't been 10,000 years of divergence.

I don't know what that something would be, but they've been granted a bit of a blank canvas there.

We could always go with Black Dragons. Primaris Dragon Claw jump troops.

I'd expect DA to happen once terminators get an update, or for their unique unit to be a stormshield wielding gravis unit.

To be fair, I did lead with the assumption of them being after a terminator update, equally we still don’t have firm knowledge such a thing is definitely happening, even less clarity than the blood angels fans desire for a tacticus jump infantry set in fact as at least space marine 2 provides a glimpse of an official design for tacticus jump infantry.

From a gravis perspective, mechanically if they had shields they’d be 2+, 4++ toughness 5 with at least 3 wounds - which seemed pretty baller in my head as I imagined it. From a visual perspective, much like blade guard have a more knightly tacticus design, what if such a dark angel unique gravis unit took design queues from some of the HH stuff? Unit with the DA style robes plus cloaks, knightly helms maybe some more angles to them.

But yeah I do think if DA get a deathwing unit that is primaris based and isn’t in tacticus it would more likely be terminators still because that’s the iconic DA unit.

Moving to the other topic though…

Totally agree with wrathoflion, people clamouring for a new primaris data sheet should also consider the fact that the ones done so far for unique units have generally been pretty bad, generally not worth using and got absolutely no model support. I absolutely do think all the other chapters will get exactly that with their updates and really don’t think they’ll get new kits. Would be cool to be wrong, but doubt I am sadly. Best hope for them is maybe a new character and a BT style upgrade set which might include some fancy bits to make their lacklustre new unique units based on existing sets marginally more exciting than the BA and SW ones.

The state of an army tabletop-wise has nothing to do with when they’ll get new models. They’re completely separate factors and models are planned far in advance of rules of a codex.

I really hope we don't see unique units for the traditional 'codex compliant' chapters, there is absolutely an attraction to them being vanilla.

I play Imperial Fists and Tor Garadon and his enormous fist were bad enough. I can only imagine what ridiculous unit the current designers would think up, some kind of centurion variant with a power trowel or something.

If we go back to codex compliant chapters, it makes less sense for them to get bespoke units, though the canon is a bit loose, unlike non codex compliant chapters like SW/BA/DA

Mainly though Id say it would be a sales/sales priority issue. For GW its not just that say a Fists or Raven Guard unit mighnt sell shedloads but they could do generic unit X instead and make buckets more money. Characters have the better margin

They also like selling a unit AND an upgrade sprue to us