+++ Sally Forth: Hobby Challenge +++

duz_

There is only one tiny, little, miniscule problem, not even really worth mentioning really (definitely not in the presence of the commissariat)

A guardsman doesn't really care where the weapon comes from, as long as it kills the enemies of the Emperor ;)

The Guardsmen may not care, but the Commissar, the Preacher and the Techpriest definitely will.

What's the crack with something that may be 3d printed as the minis are decades out of production?

As long as the model / unit as something identifiable in the current codex or legends then its a good :tu:

Welcome back lion! Don't forget the before pictures ;)

Oh awesome they're Armageddon era stormtroopers so just count as scions. I'll get pics over the weekend.

There is only one tiny, little, miniscule problem, not even really worth mentioning really (definitely not in the presence of the commissariat)

A guardsman doesn't really care where the weapon comes from, as long as it kills the enemies of the Emperor ;)
The Guardsmen may not care, but the Commissar, the Preacher and the Techpriest definitely will.

"In the name of the Emperor and Lord Commander , I Captain Rahem Al'musharaf of the Tallarn 382, shall raise a force of Bullgryns by 28th February."

Just received the Shieldwolf Minatures Imperium Desertum kickstarter models and am excited to breath new life into my Tallarn, which were my first Warhammer 40k purchase some 25 years ago and still hold a special place in my heart. I'll post more pictures once I have the resin cleaned up.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DHhih4tSD8PqKKFo9

A guardsman doesn't really care where the weapon comes from, as long as it kills the enemies of the Emperor :wink:

That just looks like one of those fancy long handled shovel variants those posh folks have uphive. 

Last day to make you pledge!

Although the Commissariat might allow for some last minute pledges made before the final participant list update.

For the glory of the Emperor only!

Tardiness is otherwise punishable by summary execution.

;)

"In the name of the Emperor and Lord Commander , I Colonel Jan van Liemeke, Commander of the Kellersburg 7th Irregulars, shall raise a 10 Crusaders and 30 Kasrkin by 28th February."

My photo skils are as bad as my painting skills :blush.:

gallery_80338_17295_799310.jpg

Edited by casb1965

"In the name of the Emperor and Lord Commander , I Colonel Jan van Liemeke, Commander of the Kellersburg 7th Irregulars, shall raise a 10 Crusaders and 30 Kasrkin by 28th February."

Adding to my list 2 Leman Russ (found in my pile of shame)

gallery_80338_17295_276309.jpg

Adding to my list 2 Leman Russ (found in my pile of shame)

gallery_80338_17295_276309.jpg

Ahh the OG spotlight, hated it back in the day, now I kinda like them. Cant wait to see some paint on these badboys.

update. Well I combed the bits boxes in the shame closet, sadly I realized that all my Cadian officer heads that wore the field cap that looks so much like their Mordian brethren have already been placed on Mordian Valkyrie pilots. I don't have the time and inclination to mine Ebay for more so:

Hidden Content
gallery_209737_16260_42079.jpg

I know, it's a terrible affront to deface long OOP miniatures, but fear not, I have some old second edition storm trooper beret heads to turn these Ichabod-esque soldiers into company veterans (in the future)

no parts were wasted, here is progress on my Rough Riders, missing an arm as I plan to model them with pistols, special weapons and swords which will require more precise cutting and green stuff work.

Hidden Content
gallery_209737_16260_65357.jpg

slow going, but the work continues

Well, I knocked my pledge out yesterday with the finishing touches added this morning.

Tabletop-ready to the standard that I generally feel comfortable with. Will probably do some work on the bases, bought a bag of tiny garden rocks that I'll try to glue on and call it done. I generally hate spending time on the bases and consider it a boring chore though, so that's really low on the list of priorities. :smile.:

But yeah...finally got a whole bunch of Riflemen to add to my Scions, so I can actually use all those special weapons I have sitting around. Will be adding a bunch more to the whole lot at some stage, my FLGS just has been having issues getting 2 two Start Collecting boxes I ordered ages ago delivered from GW.

gallery_114403_17298_1181582.jpg

gallery_114403_17298_62975.jpg

gallery_114403_17298_1139235.jpg

gallery_114403_17298_120516.jpg

gallery_114403_17298_253031.jpg

gallery_114403_17298_1165854.jpg

gallery_114403_17298_586652.jpg

Edited by sairence

I debated on whether to put todays progress photos up, but I think there is value in the actual process, and some unique challenges so I figured "why not" and now that I figured out how to use the hidden content button, its easier to skip a post if disinterested.

Hidden Content
gallery_209737_16260_62157.jpg

As you can see the left arms are designed to be tucked in toward the horse, gripping pommel or reins, good for a diorama or display piece, I want my Rough Riders to be well armed and posed for mid-battle. So conversions will be necessary which presents a unique challenge working with metal minis.

Hidden Content
gallery_209737_16260_45371.jpg

This is a jewelry saw, or piercing saw. I bought it at a specialty woodworking and hardware store, blades come in 32 TPI and it cuts metal minis like nothing else I've found. Metal minis, usually white metal, pewter, etc. are soft, and have a low heat capacity, rotary cutting tools have a tendency to melt metal minis which is bad for detail work, I've tried water and using other metal as an heat sink with little success. Hence a manual saw. 2 cuts will be needed to get the are at the desired angle right below the tasseled epaulet, and at the wrist to add a weapon.

Hidden Content
gallery_209737_16260_48280.jpg

specifically challenging for these minis are finding suitable weapon swaps, a left handed chain sword is standard in the cadian sprue, a left handed las pistol is only available in the scion sprue (which isn't ideal to equip your scions anyway) the saw and some quick cleanup with a file worked well, and the cuts don't even need green stuff to fill.

Hidden Content
gallery_209737_16260_34125.jpg

Here is the final result, the work continues.

Resin Bullgryn cleaned up, assembled, shields magnetized and ready for primer.  I mixed in a few guns to break up the poses (there are only 3 sword poses).  In particular I really like the shotgun wielding Bullgryn with the scorpion on top.  I was thinking of attaching a shield to his waistline but I wasn't happy with how it looked.  Sometimes wysiwyg needs to take a backseat to the what looks cool!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/THFeRYWgJk1SFrWE6

"In the name of the Emperor and Lord Commander , I Commander Reyner of the Armageddon Defence Command, shall raise a unit of Tempestus Scions by 28th February."

gallery_26119_14121_1132349.jpg

does the img square bracket command not work anymore?

Edited by duz_

Great work all

The commissar has been called away on other duties this week. Something to do with investigating the ice world of Winter Park and its suitability for a Valhallan training ground.

(Never fear he still has a good eye on the barracks.)

However, as a result my orderly did not finalise the entrant list for the event. To be clear Reyner shall be the last participant of the event.

Entries are now closed.

Got everything primed ready for when my backlog of 64 Guardsmen is done, I dont like the WGA Grognard sitting down legs, looks awkward and kinda crap, so the loader for my vows heavy weapon team (using said crappy legs) is slumped against a wall with the top of his head blown off. Mmmmmm jelly. :lol

Got everything primed ready for when my backlog of 64 Guardsmen is done, I dont like the WGA Grognard sitting down legs, looks awkward and kinda crap, so the loader for my vows heavy weapon team (using said crappy legs) is slumped against a wall with the top of his head blown off. Mmmmmm jelly. :lol:

Ha nice

Got everything primed ready for when my backlog of 64 Guardsmen is done, I dont like the WGA Grognard sitting down legs, looks awkward and kinda crap, so the loader for my vows heavy weapon team (using said crappy legs) is slumped against a wall with the top of his head blown off. Mmmmmm jelly. :laugh.:

Ha nice

I was watching that episode of Pacific where Sledge was trying to open his tin and messed up (messed up wasnt his name, but B&C changes it to that)  was throwing stones at a dead machine gunner who had the top of his head shot off, that gave me the idea of the slumped dead crewmember instead of another Guardsman sat there looking like he has sat on his keys. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness