DG has me bummed out recently

Unfortunately,IMO in predictable future, nurglings, or equivalent, or units with similar function, are and will be strictly forbidden to be acquired by 9th DG.

I really hope this isn't the case.  When Death Guard launched as a separate codex in 8th they were marketed as a combined army of Death Guard Astartes and Nurgle Daemons.  The Nurgle Daemons, for right or for wrong, were in the Codex!  The 8th edition codex is full of artwork, battle photography and stories that feature Death Guard fighting alongside Nurgle Daemons.  The intention of this being a combined force was clearly evident.

Like many, I purchase Nurgle Daemons to have them fight alongside my Death Guard.  Its beyond frustrating that in 9th, if I field a combined army as GW marketed in 8th, I loose access to NURGLE's GIFT.  I am hoping that this is an oversight that will be corrected when the Daemon Codex is released.  All chaos armies should have an option for fielding daemon detachments without penalty similar to how Ad Mech can field a Knight without negating their single faction army rules (Knight of the Cog Strat).  Making it permanent would be quite the slap in the face to anyone who saw the great photography in our 8th edition codex and went out and purchased Nurgle Daemons.

It was interesting that in GWs own Narrative Battle Report on Warhammer+ they allowed the Death Guard Detachment to retain Nurgle Gift even though the army contained a Detachment of Nurgle Daemons.  They clearly know its a dumb rule (either that or they just don't know their own ruleset very well).

It would be very easy for GW to simply edit the Contagions of Nurgle rule to state "excluding unaligned units and units with both the Daemon and Nurgle faction keywords).  

Yeah I also had nurgle bikers and obliterators and even had some fun with raptors! I also used to use daemons in every list I made - either summoning a plague bomb of DS plaguebearers or the fun of having my plague marine champion leave his squad in the rhino and explode into a Great Unclean One, boy that was fun. For all the hate I had for AOS at first they do a damn better job of actually showing Thematic armies with the collation rules that actually let you take units from other armies that make sense beasts of chaos in warriors of chaos armies without losing your army benefits

Still we can kind of do it now with summoning... Just worse I guess.

Oh I loved the ability to sacrifice champions to summon a great unclean one

Thematic and rather funny, managed to win a few close games thanks to that. Even the summoning stratagem from the 8th codex was great as it made possible to summon a great unclean one more easy

The biggest interesting thing will be how daemons of nurgle go when they finally get upgraded will the keep their actual disgusting resilent being like a feel no pain or follow Death Guard getting the nerfed -1D. Unfortunately I feel like it'll be the later as whilst in AOS they kept it plaguebearers got an extra wound (and of course more expensive) so GW will no doubt give them the extra wound and-1D so that DR does the same thing in different codex

Edited by Plaguecaster

Like many, I purchase Nurgle Daemons to have them fight alongside my Death Guard.  Its beyond frustrating that in 9th, if I field a combined army as GW marketed in 8th, I loose access to NURGLE's GIFT.

No you don't. You lose bonuses if you take an allied army of multiple detachments yes but that's NOT what you got in the 8th ed DG codex anyway.

The 8th ed daemons had no keywords so could only be used for summoning, you lost all the special stuff in the 8th ed book if you actually mixed those daemon datasheets into a detachment with your marines and zombies. Summoned daemons don't break Nurgle's Gift. The stat blocks in the 8th ed DG book are the same as the still legal ones in the Chaos Daemons book (minus a few keywords) so are still legal. The Summoning rule is still in the Daemons Codex so is still legal.

Summoned daemons are currently in a much better position than the new Brood Brothers units that also got stripped out of their book. Fingers crossed the daemons book will have some similar 25% rule for allying daemons with marines.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Like many, I purchase Nurgle Daemons to have them fight alongside my Death Guard.  Its beyond frustrating that in 9th, if I field a combined army as GW marketed in 8th, I loose access to NURGLE's GIFT.

No you don't. You lose bonuses if you take an allied army of multiple detachments yes but that's NOT what you got in the 8th ed DG codex anyway.

I should have clarified, I was referring to Detachments.  In 8th, with just the Death Guard Codex, you could field a Detachment of Death Guard, and separate "Nurgle" Detachment with Nurgle Daemons.  The 2nd detachment didn't receive any special rules outside of what's on the datasheet, and your HQ couldn't be the warlord or have a relic, but as most aura simply targeted Death Guard units they were not detachment locked and it was a good way to start the game with Nurglings on the board making use of their Mischief Makers ability.  

In 9th, fielding the same 2 Detachments negates Nurgles Gift.  Nurgles Gift is a fun, thematic addition to Death Guard.  9th Edition introduced Mono-Faction bonuses, and its disappointing that Death Guard loose theirs if they field a Nurgle detachment, despite Death Guard being Nurgle's Legion.  I would have preferred a more inclusive take considering how in 8th the Nurgle daemons were included in the codex.  GW handled this well with the new Brood Brothers rule, making sure legacy GSC player's Astra Militarium purchases were not invalidated, but with limitations to ensure the army is still primarily GSC.  Even a stratagem like such as Knight of the Cog or keeping the Rotted Veil stratagem from WotS would have been decent alternatives.  Having an option to field Nurgle detachments alongside Death Guard detachments would have been thematic, and given us more army construction options without having to weigh the loss of Nurgle's Gift.

I agree though, that summoning is still viable, now that the FAQ has clarified it.  Has anyone had success with summoning in 9th?  I've found that the need to be mobile has kept me from really exploring it, which is where the loss of the Rotten Veil stratagem is felt.  

Corbax utterblight can be quite fun to summon right in the midst of the enemy being a psyker and quite resilent with true Disgusting resilence. Rather funny when he completely eats a model removing it from play as well as I had some funny games where he ate a lieutenant since you just have to roll over the wounds the model has, he literally munches through mutiwound units quite easily but quite slow so summoning him makes it easier to get him closer to enemy without having to slowly spend most if the game walking up and being killed from afar.

Otherwise would summon a unit of plaguebearers on an objective they don't have objective secured but can be quite hard to shift especially if large enough with one of the nurgle heralds nearby

Edited by Plaguecaster