Warhead01's Bloody pit of Horrors

Warhead01

Update.
A picture of what's coming home.

gallery_3442_17291_69599.jpg

What I see.
At leas 1 maybe 2 Dreadnoughts, Parts of a Defiler(bottom left-ish), a metal Grate unclean one, a metal Daemon prince, one or two of my scratch built/kit bashed daemon spawn.
That Marauder Destroyer is just really in the way, the damned thing has always been a disappointment.. (I'll explain that .)
I was told I also have 20 metal plague bearers in there. I'm also seeing a model I do not recognize upper right the green/yellow green colored model. I believe that is one of the new ones from the Dark Imperium box but can't really say for sure just now.
Over all I am thrilled.

That Marauder Destroyer.
I bought that back between 09' and 10' during midtour while I was deployed. I timed it so that the forge world models I ordered would arrive while I as home on leave. And then I had some bad luck. During the primer application I didn't realize that it was far too humid outside and my spray primer textured the aircraft. I can't express just how upsetting that was, so lets just say very, it was very upsetting. I do hope all that parts are there. Maybe I can do something with it, who knows.

Update. 

It's here! 
I have a lot of work ahead of me to bring this back to life. I guess the real battle begins tomorrow. 
Step one. Inventory. 
Pictures of this mess in a few days.  
So far counted. 33 metal Plague bearers, 7 terminators 1 Dread , 1 defiler, 1 Typhus, 3 Spawn, 2 predators, 1 defiler, 1 landraider, not sure how many plague marines, lots, 2 Daemon prince 2 Great Unclean Ones many many bases of Nurglings. The Plague marines are mostly the old Metals and Metal and plastics. several of each special weapon type. No new plastics at all. That's a bridge I will cross and burn later this year.  
Again, picture update in the works starting this weekend. 

Welcome to the Bloody pit of Horrors!

Update.
Here's the models I've been working on over the last week or so.

gallery_3442_17291_177818.jpg
I will add a few more pictures of these in a day or two. Those will be posted via my blog to keep things more organized. The B&C has not let me post pictures directly from my blog recently and I am not sure why. Maybe the pictures were too big.

Today I did also managed to get pictures of everything else that arrived in that box. I am hoping to do some sort of before and after pictures as this project gets moving.
There I was looking at all of these models and remembering how cool I used to think this army was. Now with all of that distance through time and at least more than 15 years of growth as a painter. Well, These all just don't cut it anymore. Some of the models were cool others were just bhaggggh But even the "cool" ones just weren't that good.

Any whoooo, those will also be posts for the future. I need to edit all the pictures I took and those will get their own collective blog post.
Right now I am trying to sort out what kind of "work load" these will become and how I want to paint them. there is a lot of area for more conversion work and more green stuff work.

While I could probably rush to get done in a month or two I kinda want this to take as long as it takes and look it's grizzly best.

Update. 

I'm starting to resize and edit the pictures of this collection for the repaint/rebuild project. Nothing of not at this time.
Looking at the Plague Marines I se that I used some kind of army green and a drybrush of some lighter maybe yellow green. But they are un impressive. 
There are two other sets of Plague Marines in different color sets. One of those is made from 2nd edition metal models including plasma guns and melta guns. Those metal models are easily superiors to the plastic metal models that would follow them in the early 2000'. 
I'd like to add some of the new plastics as well and mix models in the units but I am also tempted to part with many of the plastic metal models. They just aren't very cool. 

My Friend Said he has 40 or 41 more Wargames Factory zombies for me. we're working out a bit of a trade. I still have 10 to 15 more zombies here and plan to work on those until I know what I want to do next on the DG proper.  

More about the Zombies. 
Some years back my friends were playing a Zombies game on or around Halloween. Something like small unit multi player vs a zombie horde. I've been cooking on this idea for a long time now. I'm thinking something like Zombies vs movie marines. The zombies being deployed as tokens with numbers on one side placed "face down" much like the space hulk tokens of old.  And, I am also thinking on rules for zombie behavior much like the CoD Zombies game, so that we have a pathway where we know Zombies must move in particular directions.

Something like Zombies move toward the closes non zombie units and numbers of zombies, in units, may split to head towards other nonzombie units. Forming new "units".  And token spawn points for later rounds. 
I think this could be a very action packed way to play a game like this. and finally the players need goals or objectives while running from and fighting the Zombies.  
In total my zombies will be nearly 80 in number. Probably more than enough. 
I hope to have them all painted and the game rule written before October and who knows, maybe just maybe we'll get to play it. 

Your zombies look great - but I particularly like your nurgle demon - nice use of purple as a spot colour.

Thank you!

I plan to try to finish that Daemon this week, basing and his eye which I some how completely skipped. I'm over the moon about his flesh. Hope I can do that again. 

Just wrapping up 10 more Zombies, my weekend project. 

But I'll be out of viable Zombies after this and it's off to that box of models. 

I think painting the Plague Bearers will be the easiest place to start. I believer there are 52 of them. I'll have to find out what base size they are on now, I expect they were moved up to 32's. Even if they aren't the bestist, no idea, Still want the completeness. Still thinking they may be proxies for Possessed if need be. 

Based on the GW US online store, although in the photo the Plague Bearers look like they have 25mm, the product description says 32mm.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Chaos-Daemons-Plaguebearers-of-Nurgle-2018

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Update.

Not done with the Plague Daemon just yet, base is started but not done. Later today. 

Here's a set of pictures of the entire Death Guard army.  (Just follow the link.)
https://warhead01.blogspot.com/2022/01/remembering-dave-and-death-guard.html

Lots of pictures. 

I've also started to work out the rules for my Zombies game which I hope to be more of a template that could be dropped over any edition or other game system. really as long as we know how Zombies are expected to behave on the table that's probably enough but it's still very early days for that I just started putting it to "paper" last night.

https://warhead01.blogspot.com/2022/01/zombie-mayhem-blood-pit-of-horrors-rule.html

I've started looking at the Death Guard army list via army builder. Any thoughts on a Whirlwind Scorpious?  
Feels like a good choice to me. 

Ah, the good old days of 28mm bases and our beloved "old school plague marines" ; that's a pretty cool collection here mate !

The Whirlwind Scorpion has been hardly nerfed from 8th to 9th edition (it used to double shoot each turn), now it's at best decent for its price ; I'd suggest you get a Plagueburst Crawler for indirect artillery instead !

Oh, you might have a look at miniwargaming videos on youtube, they made a special Halloween or Christmas battle report 2 or 3 years ago with a zombie horde narrative game versus Deathwatch if I recall correctly, it might inspire you ;) !

Update.

as of last night I have rebased all of 10 Plague bearers. Not amazing progress but I've had other things going on. Hope to continue over this weekend and see how many more models I can rebase.  

I've found plastic Nurglings, looks like singles, on Ebay I'd like to add these to my metal ones to try to pack the bases full of Nurglings. May well add some plastic kits in the future. My Nurglings were never set up right, just a few on each base because I needed more units than I could have afforded at the time. I think I do like the new plastics much better  than the old metals.  

Update.

Nearly done with 20 Plague Bearers. Just have to paint the bases. I should be able to get a few reasonable pictures this week. 
I guess I will start working on some Plague Marines next I have 14 mounted to 32 MM bases now. Going to watcha a few tutorials and get to it. 

Partly considering doing some kind of monster kit bash. Am wondering if I can stick a metal Daemon prince and a metal Grate Unclean one together some how. Maybe the legs of the DP under the girth of the GUO and who knows some kind of big fly wings. I know there are some Nurgly bug daemons I might find the wings from. I'm looking at the "old" GUO and thinking it's just way too small now and I do have two.  I'll put that on the back burner for a while. 

Update.

Blog post full of pictures.
It may be that my pictures are too large t share with the forums picture function in these posts. I'm still not sure but haven't tested that theory just yet.

However, here's the link.
https://warhead01.blogspot.com/2022/02/more-mess-from-bloody-pit-of-horrors.html

To keep thinks clean I am trying to upload less to the B&C directly. I've uploaded far too much over the years, lots and lots of wip pictures which would were unnecessary.
But I did add a few pictures I knew I could drop in with no issues.

Enjoy.

med_gallery_3442_17291_697310.jpg

But wait there's more.

med_gallery_3442_17291_204887.jpg

I am expecting more zombies after a while for my Zombies mod. We're very excited to get them all painted and on the table top for some kind of a crazy game.
I'm not ready just now to jump into the Plague Marines I have something else come up I'm excited to work on and I still need to figure out my color set for them.
Maybe even add some green stuff or something. I've selected the old 2nd ed Plague Marines and green stuff can't hut them, because they are metal models.

Thanks for having a look.

Seems to have worked (for those 2, anyway) and they look great!

Your plague zombie horde continues to grow!  I really like the models you have used and they have allowed you to add colour to what can often be a fairly monochromatic army.  I like the variety of skin tones too.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Seems to have worked (for those 2, anyway) and they look great!

Your plague zombie horde continues to grow!  I really like the models you have used and they have allowed you to add colour to what can often be a fairly monochromatic army.  I like the variety of skin tones too.

I've really enjoyed painting the zombies far more than I had expected too.  The more I look at all of those models, zombies and daemons I really like them a lot, more today than yesterday.  I'm super happy with the verity of flesh tones as well, loads of fun to paint.

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in. 
Took a few weeks to get motivated to mess with any models. No idea what brought that out but I think it's passed now. 
A box arrived in the mail the other day full of zombies and right now I have 50 more Zombies built and primered for paint and another ,maybe, 20 to build. 
Not doing anything else Nurgle related at the moment. I rotate through my ongoing projects and have been working on other models just before these Zombies showed up. 

I'm still cooking on my Zombies mod and working out some kind of stratagem cards. Nothing balanced just stuff I hope will be fun and exciting and cinematic. These have yet to be put to paper but will be in a rough draft form maybe by the end of this week. 
The core idea is to have at least two strats for each phase for the players and hopefully a small stack to draw from for the zombies. 

On top of that I am still trying to decide how this plays out, 8/9th edition style units/heroes or an earlier edition or a complete home brew, for the stats of the zombies and units for the players. I don't see it as really that much work I just need a template to follow if I go with the home brew. I have a few ideas that might be fun. 

That's it. Hopefully I'll have a lot of models painted to show in my next post. 

Update.

In an effort to further contaminate this thread I give you...

More Zombies!

med_gallery_3442_17291_164923.jpg

But wait... There's MORE! And you ca see them in all their gory glory in this blog post ripping with zombie goodness!

Slaps blog post, "you can fit so many zombies in there."

https://warhead01.blogspot.com/2022/02/spewed-forth-from-bloody-pit-of-horrors.html

The B&C is still having issues with me using links from pictures hosted on my blog, the picture above is hosted on the B&C.

Edit. +++

Seems I forgot to add this Zombies mod mission sheet I have made. it's very rough still made in windows paint so forgive any spelling errors or blame the Nurglings... ( Where have I heard that one before...? :wink: )

If you have trouble reading this it will enlarge if opened in a new tab.

gallery_3442_17291_1026005.jpg

I have a 10-ish page rules packed in the works which I have dropped into the Home brew rules sub forum but this bit is possibly playable with pick your edition and throw out the stratagems for a wild ride. some player compromise may be needed at this point.

As I get all of this refined and distilled I'll be happy to share it. Please keep in mind that this mod is just for fun with friends and likeminded people who just want to roll some dice and have a bit of pointless fun... I do hope to make this fairly insane and a good time people look forward to.

One thin I am starting to think about is the question, just who or what has brought forth these zombies and how do I stick that into this mod. My instincts are to set up a mini campaign made from several missions with a boss reveal in the last game but with a twist. Based on the outcomes of the previous games the end boss may change. which would be something I would think is at least interesting. And of course I am considering how to plug Plague Daemons into this mod as well. Maybe some kind of bonus round, like the flaming dogs from CoD Zombies but based on a scoring threshold.
And as much as I think that's cool it still depends on the number of turns players can get through in a reasonable amount of time.
Heck, maybe it triggers if the players manage to slay every zombie on the table in their turn. Wonder if that can even be done.

Anyway, thanks' for having a look.:biggrin.:

Edited by Warhead01