Upcoming BL Stuff - 2022

Graeme McNeill and Horus?? Oh no, what an absolute let down

Its been (looking) twelve years but I maintain that he can write a good book, as I really enjoyed A Thousand Sons.

Just curious if you’ve re-read A Thousand Sons in that 12 years? Just because I tried a couple of years ago and really struggled compared to my first read.

Its been (looking) twelve years but I maintain that he can write a good book, as I really enjoyed A Thousand Sons.
Just curious if you’ve re-read A Thousand Sons in that 12 years? Just because I tried a couple of years ago and really struggled compared to my first read.

I've reread it several times since it was first published and it remains one of my favorites from the series.

I also have a soft spot for Storm of Iron but it's been a *while* since I read that one...

I've reread it several times since it was first published and it remains one of my favorites from the series.

I also have a soft spot for Storm of Iron but it's been a *while* since I read that one...

I re-read Thousand Sons this year and I liked it more the second time. My expectations were lowered. However, I read The Crimson King for the first time, and my gods that was not a pleasant experience.

As one might expect Krieg and Gothghul Hollow are both up for preorder on January 29th: https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a16588702/Steve-Lyons-Krieg#omnsearchpos=19

After that it seems like there will be no new releases until the Celebration day at the end of February. I’d like to see BL spread the releases out more, given that there’s 7 new titles coming in January, but maybe February’s packed with models?

Not saying McNeill can’t write a good book, he has thrown the odd good one. I really enjoyed his two novellas for the siege, Magnus wasn’t too bad and I’m a rare fan of The Outcast Dead……

I just really think he isn’t anywhere at all near to a top tier author and this is blinking Horus!! Actually Horus, the big nasty too bad guy. It’s bound to have a huge audience and long lasting implications for 40K lore. Handing it to anyone but a tip tier author shows complete contempt for the lore. A foolish decision

Good question, I have not. I dont know that I even have it anymore as I moved and downsized a lot.

Its a question I've asked myself for other books, I'm rereading Soul Hunter right now and its holding up so far and makes me lament ADB's.... relative speed in writing.

I reread A Thousands Sons two years ago. Like most of McNeill’s work I don’t think it’s aged particularly well, but I’d still consider it a decent enough entry in the Heresy. Him doing Horus is a bit of a disappointment. Personally I think the same can be said of the Primarchs Series in general, but maybe I haven’t given it a fair shake (read about a third of the series). Edited by cheywood

I've got mixed views on G McNeill's writing. I loved Fulgrim and A Thousand Sons, the former being my favourite Heresy novel, but I felt False Gods was a big disappointment for the way he fumbled Horus' fall (imho) and didn't really care for Mechanicum (as Titans and Knights bore me). I enjoyed Master of Prospero and Fury of Magnus, but not really The Crimson King (felt Yasu Nagasena was way overpowered for how he should be compared to marines). Hated the Horus short story, so hoping the novella is an improvement, with it presumably being the last in The Primarchs series too. Not read his 40K stuff yet, am hoping the Ultramarines series is more consistent(ly good).

What has been going on with Cain? Now 4 years since the last novel. Consistently the most entertaining series BL do and no model support and no new titles, beyond disappointed .

We have had the print version of Old Soldiers Never Die - and the great eShort Last Night at the Resplendent - in addition to The Bigger They Are (which I haven’t read I don’t believe, but did find in my exploration). I suppose the last novel was late 2018 and we are just into 2022...

I’d love a tie in model - and more in the series!

Just as long as I eventually get a Dorn book!

What has been going on with Cain? Now 4 years since the last novel. Consistently the most entertaining series BL do and no model support and no new titles, beyond disappointed .

Maybe Sandy Mitchell doesn’t have any more ideas? Maybe BL haven’t commissioned another? Maybe the earnings from the book are not enough for the effort and time required?

Personally I still live in (vain) hope that the Dark Heresy trilogy gets finished!!!!

Krieg coming next week, audiobook included.

Day of Ascension the same, also getting an audiobook.

Book of Martyrs hitting paperback, getting an audiobook too.

Urdesh: The Serpent and the Saint getting an audiobook.

Masters of the Hunt omnibus coming too, and Helwinter Gate in German.

Limited Edition of The Triumph of Saint Katherine is going up as well.

Seriously, after months of drought in audiobooks, they're now pumping out 4 of them yesterday, and another 4 in two weeks. They've completely given up on pacing their releases. Ain't nobody got time or money/audible credits for all these releases. Even if there's a backlog, they have to do better than throwing out four on a single day; they could've at least released two per week, instead.

So before it was a drought, now it's to much? We really are a hard to please community.

And speak for yourself, I've been saving up credits just for weekends like this!

Well, yes. Because with four books every other week, you have to prioritize not just your budget, but also your time. I would've had plenty of time to fit in half of these releases when their respective hardbacks dropped (or their sequels, in the case of Farsight: Crisis of Faith), but now? Post-Holiday season, no less? I'm struggling to even just keep up with new releases, let alone the backlogged ones BL is only just getting to - even if I completely exclude non-BL reading for the sake of argument.

Personally, my credits were good enough to get myself back on the Cain Train and be appalled at the runtime of The Bookkeeper's Skull, but that's it til next month; I have at least three or four more non-BL print copies slated for this month (whenever retailers are able to stock them, that is; still waiting on a preorder from early December...).

By bunching up releases like this, with gaps in-between, instead of at least sprinkling them on a weekly basis, they also build up pressure on the more invested audience, which may well hamper the enjoyment of individual books - because damn, you need to finish this one to get to the next asap. These are problems that could be mitigated pretty well by simply releasing the backlog titles more evenly, instead of right alongside the new stuff.

Heck, we only had an AoS anthology without audiobook this week (for release next Saturday) - would it have killed them to put out at least one 40k novel or backlogged audiobook along with that weekend, as in, one week sooner? Simply moving Urdesh one week ahead would've alleviated pressure plenty enough already, and releasing Farsight: Crisis of Faith on January 8 instead of 15 would've done the same to this weekend.

Of course it's nice that they're finally back to releasing books, and I'm all for it. But it looks like they are neglecting the logistics behind release schedules right now - and it doesn't really help that we expect the BL Celebration thingy in February, with another bunch of releases all at once. They'd better not complain about faltering sales on some of these titles or drop series' getting audio versions midway again, because this is a problem of their own design.

Edited by DarkChaplain

Got to agree about the pacing; I’m naturally inclined to support whatever BL do, read a lot and read fast and I’m somewhat put out by their ‘release at least 2 40K books every fortnight’ approach rather than better spreading them out. I struggle to work out a reading order and then feel pressured to finish in order to start on the next big book. I know this is on me, and the pile of shame is obviously part of their business model but I don’t like it in books.

While having too many releases is infinitely better than having too few, I’m perplexed as to why we’re getting seven new novels in January when the February release schedule is seemingly empty except for the celebration at the end of the month. Seems like it would be a better bet, at least in terms of sales and audience attention, to distribute releases more evenly.

I do always struggle a bit when I see the complaining about " too many releases" . I mean, we' ve been rightly complaining about stuff in the " state of BL" thread and here about lack of output and zero communication but to me it feels weird to then complain again when they actually release a lot of stuff together.

To me it seems like they are having a good month with a lot of output. Though I guess its true that due to their deliberate " artificial scarcity"  business model you are forced to buy the hardbacks now instead of when you want, because they will be sold out and that forces you to spend now, but thats not the case with the audiobooks.

I think the thing in February is what they do normally, is that they bunch most of their releases together for the Celebration.

Hail!

I managed to get Volpone Glory this weekend in hardback and am looking forward to getting my mitts on Krieg as well. For the AoS, I am actually kinda interested in Gothgul Hollow (the Horror imprint), even if that is a wee bit off here on the W40k site. 

What’s this? The coming soon page has been updated again? GW is releasing a bunch of titles in March? Madness.

We’ve got

Ahriman Eternal Mega LE

Ravenor Rogue SE

Prophet of Waaagh! Hardback

Catachan Devil Paperback

Dark Imperium Paperback

Assassinorum: Kingmaker Hardback

Urdesh: Serpent and the Saint Paperback

Next Horus Heresy print on demand collection

Hallowed Ground Hardback

A Dynasty of Monsters Paperback

Some great titles there. Ahriman and Assassinorum are two of the books I’m looking forward to the most this year.

Edit: https://www.warhammer-community.com/blacklibrarycomingsoon/

Edited by cheywood

What’s this? The coming soon page has been updated again? GW is releasing a bunch of titles in March? Madness.

We’ve got

Ahriman Eternal Mega LE

Ravenor Rogue SE

Prophet of Waaagh! Hardback

Catachan Devil Paperback

Dark Imperium Paperback

Assassinorum: Kingmaker Hardback

Urdesh: Serpent and the Saint Paperback

Next Horus Heresy print on demand collection

Hallowed Ground Hardback

A Dynasty of Monsters Paperback

Some great titles there. Ahriman and Assassinorum are two of the books I’m looking forward to the most this year.

Edit: https://www.warhammer-community.com/blacklibrarycomingsoon/

Brilliant.  Thanks for letting us know.

I was very harsh on BL for poor communication in the recent relevant thread, but by and large they have been so much better in the last couple of months.

I hope we get caught up on the Ahriman audiobooks before the new LE is released.