Naming/Origins of the Primarchs

Pacific81

There's another angle for Leman I've thought of, but I admit it's a big stretch. I live near large Amish communities, and they are (I believe) the people group with the highest incidence of the name Leman (from the German Lehman/Lehmann/Lehmann). In that case, it'd be pronounced "layman," not "Lee man." The only connection I can see between the Amish and the Primarch, though, is the heavy emphasis on culture and tradition over pretty much everything else. I don't think that's as likely an explanation as some of the others, though.

There's another angle for Leman I've thought of, but I admit it's a big stretch. I live near large Amish communities, and they are (I believe) the people group with the highest incidence of the name Leman (from the German Lehman/Lehmann/Lehmann). In that case, it'd be pronounced "layman," not "Lee man." The only connection I can see between the Amish and the Primarch, though, is the heavy emphasis on culture and tradition over pretty much everything else. I don't think that's as likely an explanation as some of the others, though.

This is what Space Wolves will always be to me now...

The Night Lords' homeworld of Nostramo is also based on the prison colony "Nostromo", which is also from Joseph Conrad (the author of 'Heart of Darkness', which the film Apocalypse Now is based on and where Konrad Curze and M'Shen get their names from, directly and indirectly).

That's an interesting comment about Magnus and the Roman/historical reference. I know that Rick Priestly definitely has a great interest in history (thinking the work he has done for Warlord Games, and I think he runs a lot of historically-based campaigns when wargaming) so I can completely believe that being a reference. The fact that there are so many other links to the Roman Legions throughout as well. 

Rick Priestley has degrees and training in archaeology and ancient Roman history. His original career path was to become an archaeologist with a focus on Roman sites in Britain.

IIRC, he's stated in interviews that after a couple months of his first real archaeology job - which was basically crawling and sitting and kneeling in the dirt and mud uncovering objects carefully by the inchful of dirt - he decided to pursue his other passion, which was wargaming, lol.

According to "Zones of Control : Perspectives on Wargaming" (page 610), Roboute Guilliman would be inspired by Robert (Cham) Gilman,

a pseudonym of writer Alfred Coppel (The Navigator of Rhada).

There's also a "King Gilloman" from some Merlin/King Arthur legends and tales, I think in particular ones regarding Stonehenge.
Edited by Zuvassin

• 3 weeks later...

Corvus Corax's name is obviously just the scientific name for the common raven, but his backstory has an origin too.

His entire story of leading a rebellion on a prison moon orbiting an industrial world is lifted from the novel The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.

Not the first time Heinlein's work has been used as an inspiration, as the concept of how Space Marine power armor works was taken from his book Starship Troopers. It describes the suits having their own "muscles" that take input and increase the power behind it exponentially.

Tyranids were inspired by Starship Troopers as well.

Am now imagining the Russ that might have been, with a mighty bowler hat and awe-inspiring neck-beard :biggrin.:

You don't have to look too far to see what this would look like in 30k: the Cataphractii Ultramarine Praetor already fits the aesthetic.

As for Jagatai Khan, it's worth reading this wiki entry on the history of the title of Khan. It's a good look into the evolution of politics and empires in Central and East Asia during that time period.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's funny sometimes that nobody in the novels makes a point about the slightly comical names like Ferrus Manus...  "wait a minute, did you know your name literally means..."  (And the Ferrus Manus name always makes me think of that Roman centurion with the funny name in the Life of Brian)   But I guess everyone is too scared/in awe of the Primarchs to point out something like that.

Also, worth remembering that some of these guys (Leman Russ, Roboute Guilliman) got their names before their chapters were reimagined as "space Vikings" or "space Romans".

And LOVE the Margaret Thatcher story!  I really wish that was true!

Edited by Kharash test dummy

Lupercal seems to derive from Lupercalia, an important Roman festival and pertinently on Lupercalia in 44 BCE, Julius Caesar was offered the crown thrice and declined all three times. In Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, a soothsayer warns him to "Beware the ides of March".