Stormsurge discussion

Noserenda

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/13/need-to-vaporise-an-imperial-knight-in-one-shot-the-pulse-blastcannon-has-you-covered/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=warhammer-40,000&utm_content=stormsurgearticle13012022&fbclid=IwAR2LoBGL8dgqIldXqNiEvnJ4VhAOd8U-d7o0CEYweJMUSnrKUDqScw8dy30

S16 D12? nom nom nom :biggrin.:

-----------------------------------------------------------

b6XT4yzGVPnzAlTb.jpg

=][= I've added in the weapon profile under discussion - as it was, the original post breaks the rules of the NRBA regarding post quality for reposts from external sites. In future please add a little more content and context to comply with the rules, not just an external link users must follow =][=

Edited by Xenith

=][= As this is a Tau thread, we'll leave discussion of Marines there. =][=

Currently it sits at 335 points, assuming the other guns it is equipped with have also been boosted in output, it's wounds and toughness have all gone up as well as a built in invulnerable save, I can see this being 400+ points for sure. I'm very glad their shooting output is becoming a lot better

=][= As this is a Tau thread, we'll leave discussion of Marines there. =][=

Currently it sits at 335 points, assuming the other guns it is equipped with have also been boosted in output, it's wounds and toughness have all gone up as well as a built in invulnerable save, I can see this being 400+ points for sure. I'm very glad their shooting output is becoming a lot better

I am glad they are getting a buff, but what I've seen so far concerns me. 9th edition is about taking and holding objectives and generally requires factions to be good in more than one aspect of the game. I had hoped that Tau would be given ways to capture or contest objectives so their play style can go beyond 'we obliterate you in shooting', but the previews so far make it look like GW is just doubling down on the shooting only. I had envisioned Tau allies like Kroot playing a far greater role in making the faction more balanced between melee and shooting. Instead I'm worried they are setting up an army that feels bad to play and to play against (i.e. it's my shooting phase, just pick up your models).

On a side note: As a Necrons player I look at every new codex and realize there is no level of points cutting that will fix my codex or make it play correctly against the arms race that all the new dexes have become.

Edited by Bonzi

A few weeks ago I had a long think about the Tau.

In my mind, they suffered in 9th edition not because they lacked firepower, but because they could not afford to hold objectives that pushed them closer to the enemy units, and they could not deal with close range engagements or the assault phase.

Making them into a faction that simply kills better is the worst and most uninspired way to improve their performance. They needed some additional rules and tricks built around movement, defence of objectives, etc

In my mind, they suffered in 9th edition not because they lacked firepower, but because they could not afford to hold objectives that pushed them closer to the enemy units, and they could not deal with close range engagements or the assault phase.

Making them into a faction that simply kills better is the worst and most uninspired way to improve their performance. They needed some additional rules and tricks built around movement, defence of objectives, etc

I agree. But at this point I'm taking whatever GW is giving us. 

They think that we'll play better by shooting more? I'm perfectly fine with shooting more. 

I just want to enjoy 9th ed with my Tau, something that I haven't been able to do so far. Every game has been boring, either for me or for my opponent. And tournaments have been a big no-no, both because of the abysmal state of the faction and of course because of the pandemic.

It is just very difficult to design rules to boost mobile warfare in the context of the current 40k rules. Easier to boost their firepower.

Mont'ka gives army-wide Advance while Remaining Stationary, Kauyon allows units to fall back from combat and still shoot, and Battlesuits can shoot their weapons if they choose to remain in combat. I'm not saying any of these are the correct/absolute solution to the problems in question, but GW has definitely made some kind of effect at giving the T'au tools to enable more mobile play or a more reactive defence to being engaged upon.

We'll have to see if there's anything more shown off as reveals continue. It's very likely there'll be some Overwatch shenanigans at the very least.

Edited by Commander Dawnstar

Not a T'au player, but curious: what's the flyer in the top right corner of the picture in today's article?

It doesn't look like anything in the GW or Forgeworld stores. Could be just the angle and the paint job combined with my lack of familiarity with the range, but it didn't look like anything I've seen elsewhere.

Not a T'au player, but curious: what's the flyer in the top right corner of the picture in today's article?

It doesn't look like anything in the GW or Forgeworld stores. Could be just the angle and the paint job combined with my lack of familiarity with the range, but it didn't look like anything I've seen elsewhere.

It's just a sunshark Bomber, the other option for building their flyer kit of the razorshark. Understandable you wouldn't recognise it, not a common model.

I want to drag attention from the Blastcannon and talk other details. Counterfire Defence System (CDS) is now a stratagem which is interesting AND...well this is warcom but we'll have to see but they mention improvements to Toughness, Wounds, Save AND built in shield generator.

Not got stats in my head off the top but if I remember right: T7, W20, Sv3+ and no inherent Invulnerable.

Improvement would only be T8, W24 (my guess, in line with a knight), Sv2+ and 4++. However that is going with how current Shield generators are now but I wouldn't be surprised if generators went to being 5++ with +1 to your armour saving throw.

As for the Piranha, that's interesting. To be fair though, they were already a good unit but now they get better.

This is all getting silly now. Being able to delete people's hard earned models in a single turn so easily in a thoughtless exercise of just throwing dice doesn't equal fun.

I genuinely fear for the long term customer retention of this hobby.

(Pretty hard to not chicken little this, but after the supposed "fixes" to the Dark Eldar, I have little hope this will be balanced)

Edited by Captain Idaho