Knight Centura

Let's discuss builds and uses for this model. The Knight Centura is an interesting secondary character likely best used if you're taking a decent size squad of SoS, most likely Witchseekers if I'm honest since they seem to be the most ferocious in damage output in many ways. Vigilators looks nice but squishy T3, 1W models does not for a melee squad make.

I was considering what I'd like to arm her with from the Relics and I think the Excruciatus Flamer works best. A Great blade isn't a bad option as she is serviceable in melee but we have Custodes for that ;)

The Excruciatus Flamer gives a guaranteed 6 shots every time which all automatically hit, at Strength 6 and AP-3. That's actually fairly spicey and alongside a squad of Witchseekers jumping out of a Rhino onto an enemy near an objective, using Purgation Sweep to boost them to S5 and we have a really astonishing assault.

Any other combinations people are considering? I feel ghe Raptor blade is a trap, since going from S5 to S6 isn't the big deal on her whilst Custodes are around to do the heavy melee lifting. If we stick to the Great Blade as a charging option after a Purgation Sweep to take an objective however, the Enhanced Voidscreen Cloak would be very beneficial. It actually gives a Knight Centura a chance to go toe to toe with enemy Elites and come out the other side.

Oh, for those who might have missed it in the leaks (like me as I avoided it a little to enjoy the book release), the Daughters of the Abyss rule is delicious for fighting Daemons as well as Psykers. +1 to wound, combined with Witchseekers using Purgation Sweep and a Knight Centura giving reroll 1s to wound means:

• Wound a Hive Tyrant/Greater Daemon on a 4+.

• Wound T4< Daemons and Psykers on a 2+.

• Wound T5 Daemons and Psykers on a 3+

All with reroll 1s to wound :)

The Knight Centura gets that with her S6 flamer as well, remember, so can get 6 hits that wound on a 2+ and -3 AP against Eldar, Grey Knights and Thousand Sons infantry.

The main benefit to take this character as far as I can see is the following:

i) Accompanying a unit of SoS in a Rhino/on foot.

ii) Counting as a 2nd SoS unit for -2 to enemy tests. She also doesn't mind as much being up close to the opponent's Psykers in the right build so can make use of Psyk-Out grenades and Creeping Dread (though the latter is likely to keep your SoS alive from enemy retaliation).

Edited by Captain Idaho

Great points here (definitely agree with you on the Relic flamer, that things almost auto kills 3-4 Incubi or Sisters of Battle every time it shoots),thanks for starting this topic!

I think one item that might make here useful is the SoS unique WL Trait that turns off ObSec... combined with Custodes counting as 2 models and all Custodes Infantry getting ObSec, that can swing an Objective pretty easily!

On a pure Sisters basis they are obviously the only non agent HQ that isnt a special character (Though Aleya and her boy toy are worth taking) so theyll be filling most of the slots :D 

Gear wise i think the Sword is going to be the best choice most of the time as the basic flamer and especially the bolter arent going to achieve much, even if you are babysitting a couple of Prosecutor squads the threat of the sword is probably better than some mild plinking. Bit weird we still dont get pistols or grenades either but ech.

On the relic front, the cloak is a solid choice for your Warlord as its gives a big survivability boost given how squishy she is. The Flamer is great though, just built a Centura carrying it last night :D The Sword is unfortunately deeply meh, its a shame Veracity is locked to Crusade.

Warlord traits are a bit fuzzier i think, i definitely like Oblivion knight for getting the Vigilators in and upping her damage a little, but Silent Judge is very handy for contesting objectives if it comes down to it. Mistress of Persecution feels  like the answer to a question noone asked, perhaps it might be handier down the line if we get more Sisters units but a spot more reach on flamers is a possible niche if you get a third warlord trait for free somehow? I dont really think Prosecutors care about it enough for a warlord trait? Maybe if you can get two squads in the bubble on different objectives.

I've played one game with a SoS patrol with my Guard yesterday, against GSC. Had Aleya, Sword-Centura, small Prosecutor squad, 9 Flamers, 9 Swords.

They did okay, main issue is definitely how squishy they are.

The Centura with sword didn't feel worth it tbh. She doesn't have enough attacks to make a difference and isn't durable enough to get stuck in. I'd probably run her with a Flamer in future. If you want one to go into combat, I'd spring the extra 20p for Aleya.

I ran Silent Judge, but it never came into play. The 3" range is really restrictive, you basically have to get her to the middle of an objective for it not to be avoidable. And even then it's only useful if she's well supported. Maybe okay in the middle of a bunch of Custodes, but for general application I think it looks way better on paper than it is in reality. Next time I'll try them I'll probably just run Aleya as the HQ.

I'm really liking the idea of Knight Centura with the relic Flamer, in a Rhino with 9 Witchseekers.

With the early-game move, they could provide a mini distraction Carnifex of sorts. Pop them out mid-board, flame anything nearby and soak up Smites.

Not sure how I would model the Knight Centura as such. Are there any ornate-looking Flamers in the SoS kit? Or could I import something from one of the SoB units?

I've been looking at it the Witchseekers/Knight Centura combination more and more too.

I worked out, with the +1 to advance rolls, the unit has an on foot threat range in the 1st turn of 27-32"!

Regarding representation of characters I too have found this army to be somewhat difficult to sort in my head! They're already pretty ornate!

The Knight Centura I'm thinking a slightly different colour scheme, maybe if I can find some trinkets in my bitz box...?

Edited by Captain Idaho

I've made so many sisters the newer ones are getting the weird ideas, so my flamer centra has a bionic head and limbs :)

On a simpler level, the classic tactical rock is a classic for a reason, and for various reasons, a few of my centura are on 40mm bases which is really useful but might not fly on the hyper competitive scene.

Regarding representation of characters I too have found this army to be somewhat difficult to sort in my head! They're already pretty ornate!

The Knight Centura I'm thinking a slightly different colour scheme, maybe if I can find some trinkets in my bitz box...?

I'm basing my Knight Centura on the FW Jenetia Krole model. Stands out against the other SoS models. Bit fiddly to magnetise though so she'll getting one load out and be stuck with it.