Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Combat squadding Eradicators

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,037 posts
Just tinkering with an idea. Even with the price increases, Eradicators are still a solid source of anti-tank/monster firepower. The rise of elite infantry like Gravis, Terminators, Custodians etc mean they often have viable targets, even in lists without conventional vehicles.

Normally it is tricky to decide whether to opt for the Assault or Heavy versions. We have Keen Senses to mitigate the move-and-fire penalty but only once per turn. This got me to thinking of taking a unit of 6 Eradicators with 2 MMs and the Assault melta rifles. Then combat squad them but put both MMs in one squad. Then you have a squad that is an obvious target for keen senses and the other that is more mobile, they can even Advance and still fire if necessary.

Why do it this way? The idea of 2 MMs per squad, each of which can fire twice with no penalty when moving thanks to Total Obliteration and Keen Senses. That is 10 melta shots per turn from 3 models, pretty tasty! Is it worth the effort or is it easier to just take a 3-man squad with heavy melta rifles and 1 multimelta?
  • TiguriusX and ranulf the revenant like this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,092 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Interesting theory hammer...never thought of combat squad and double MM together

I only take heavy eradicators.  Minimum 3 damage at long range and +4 up close is soooo good into the current meta.  

Drukhari thicc city and Crusher stampede don't like heavy melta

I buff with keen senses and chaplain stuff so 1 unit doing the work is what I prefer

My sweet spot is 4 eradicators in a squad to get nice odds of killing something (1 is a MM so I get 10 shots)

IMO 6 is overkill and combat squadding drops them below the minimum threshold I am comfortable with

Curious to hear how your experiment performs

2 MM and a heavy in 1 squad is the 10 shots I like...seems like it has potential

• Cruor Vault, Karhedron and ranulf the revenant like this

I recognize my failing and will be sure to correct it

I am a digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL-2019

gallery_48988_15465_42927.png

Tokugawa

Tokugawa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,231 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Interesting tactics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users