Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Fire Raptor Gunship
sml_gallery_62972_11847_60949.jpg
Fire Raptor Gunship, Auberon

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Fire Raptor?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? How are you making use of Hover Jet?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it babysit anything??
  • What Wargear Options do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagem synergy or note?

Over to you

Edited by Jolemai

This flier gobbles marines like they are Tic-tacs. Loaded with the quad bolters and watch any concentration of infantry outside of Death Guard termies and Custodes evaporate into a fine mist. The Autocannons are fine, but I cannot see a reason to take them over the quads. The Avenger bolt cannons slapped on the front do just fine against anything you needed the Autocannons for. I would personally stick with the Missiles on the wings over the Lascannons, as 4 shots at damage 3 Vs 2 damage d6 is just a level of reliable I want to embrace. Plus, against fliers they are actually quite scary, adding an extra d3 damage to their already intimidating lethality.

It fulfills a drastically different role from the Stormraven, lacking any transport capacity, and so acts more like a vastly larger Stormtalon. Supporting your ground forces with ludicrous amounts of dakka, aim it towards concentrations of infantry and light armour. Backfield devastator/havoc/Hellblaster/dark reaper squads and light artillery like basilisks or thunder fire cannons should be the focus of this unit, smashing aside the most potent fire support units before they can bring their weapons to bear, before mauling shorter range infantry, prioritize 2 wound models that don't have damage reduction, few units can bring this much damage 2 to bear, so utilising what this model has is key to it's efficiency.

After reducing the threat posed by fire support squads, aim to break up larger squads that could tarpit or overwhelm your Space Marines. Massive Ork, Necron or Gaunt blobs are impossible to shift quickly for MSU marines, but this airborne bolt hose is blessed by the Omnissiah for this very duty. I have seen one of these delete a squad of 20 Necron Warriors in on go, and allow a squad of Intercessors to perform an action safely without spending CP or leaving themselves open to eradication the next turn. Few vehicles have that kind of fire power, and even fewer enjoy the ability to pick their battles as effectively as the Fire Raptor.

The weaknesses of this beast are simple: a lack of reliable anti-armour capabilities, attracting every anti-armour shot with the same reliability as a Knight Crusader, and not having any real stratagem support. Only Armour of Contempt and PotMS for somewhat niche use. I can't think of a time where I would consider PotMS particularly vital for this, only occasionally would I be firing it at something I dearly want dead, and even then, I am liable to have something more important to improve the firing of. AoC is only needed against certain lists, thouh when facing those lists, I would prioritize protecting the Fire Raptor.

On the whole, a unit I certainly would like to use, possessing a good role on the battlefield which is very useful against a broad array of armies.

I definitely agree with missiles over lascanons on that bird. Not so sure about those quad HBs though as it's a noticeable price increase and it makes you commit with the FR earlier due to shorter range. This in turns exposes it to more danger sooner (meltas). But I agree that quad HBs dish out a sick amount of 2D fire.

I would like to point out that compared to Storm Raven it has some extra wounds AND more damage (that is: 9 wounds) can be absorbed by the FR before it's bracketed. It's an interesting thing. If we manage to put Shield of Sanguinius or Psychic Fortress on it, it's chances of being useful are drastically improved. 

Due to FRs points cost I would never take it as my only AT-guns' target and I see a Techmarine with a Contemptor dreadnought  complementing it nicely. Techmarine can repair and provide Awakening while dreadnought will do some heavy lifting as they usually do. And who knows - with a dual-volkite loadout on the dread, it might even be prioritised over the FR.