Forlorn Fury and Wings of Sanguinius.

Paladin777

Was watching a video on relics , and when they got to the Gallean Staff it made me think of a potentially interesting (if risky) alpha striking combo. A librarian with a jump pack and wings of Sanguinius can keep up with Death Company on the first turn. This doesn't seem like a big deal until he casts Unleash Rage on them...

Maybe this is pointless and stupid, but I thought it might make for interesting discussion.

I apologize if this has been brought up before.

Agree with Majkhel.

The problem is how swingy psychic powers are. If you fail a roll or your opponent denies x ability.

I think there are better options out there. We have an old tactics thread somewhere we could necro that opens up about all the cool combos we can use to slingshot our boys into enemy lines.

Like flesh tearers thematic drop pod death company lists with a Sanguinary priest and chaplain.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

My standard combo is a big squad of Jump DC, a Biker Chaplain and a Sanguinary Priest.

1. If I get 1st turn, I FF the Death Company mostly 12" forward but I leave a couple of stragglers so one is within 6" of the Priest still.
  2. In my Command Phase, the Priest uses his Chalice to put the DC into the Assault Doctrine and the Chaplain chants Litany of Hate for full rerolls (stratagem to auto-chant optional).
  3. In the movement phase, the DC line up for their charge. The Chaplain moves up to support them. If necessary, the Chaplain can Turbo-boost 20" meaning the stragglers will still be in range of his Litany Aura.
  4. In the combat phase, charge for 5 attacks per model (6 for Chainsword models) with +1 to Wound, an additional -1 AP and full rerolls to it.
  5. Slaughter anything in your path for the Emperor and Sanguinius! :biggrin.:

If you have a Phobos Libby in the midfield with some Infiltrators/Incursors then he can cast Unleash Rage and/or Shield of Sanguinius as they go past but these are optional bonuses. The core outlined above as devastating on its own and does not contain any elements that the enemy can block. You can use auto-chant if you want to be sure of the Litany of Hate. The only thing the enemy can do is try to screen But with a 25+2D6" threat range, you have a good chance of ether catching something or forcing your opponent to deploy very cautiously.

I used this against Necrons a few weeks ago and it was devastating. The DC tore through a Ghost Ark on the charge and then proceeded to much on its occupants. My opponent was forced to divert his C'tan shard and Flayed Ones to stop them while his Overlord VoD'ed over with a squad of Immortals to gun down the Chaplain. While the DC died, they did plenty of damage and tied up my opponent's entire left flank as well as forcing him to commit his reserves to stopping them. Not bad for under 400 points and it cleared the rest of the table for me to steamroller the rest of his army.

Edited by Karhedron

That sounds really nasty (and fun :D ) Karhedron!
What do you consider a preferred Horus target for a big DC squad? I was having fun with 5-man units recently and with those I don't really care if I get to something juicy or just cause some general mayhem.

I normally run my DC with 5 Chainswords a couple of power weapons and 3 power fists so that they can hurt a range of targets. If I were buliding them again today, I would probably swap out the Fists for hammers or at least include a few more fists. The increase of 3W infantry and -1 Damage rules on targets means the Hammer has a clearer lead over the fists now IMHO. The good news is that with Red thirst, they can threaten almost any target. Fists will wound T7 targets on a 2+ and even T8 on a 3+ so there isn't much they cannot hurt.