Are Wulfen a hidden gem for Power Levels/Crusade?

N1SB

Hi Brothers, I come to Fenris to ask you advice please.  The context is the starting 25 Power Level (reminder: roughly equivalent to 500+ points) Crusade Narrative Play games are pretty popular in my meta.  I got thinking about Wulfen.  With that in mind:

Are Wulfen a hidden gem for Power Levels or Crusade Narrative Play games for, say, a full Thunderhammer/Stormshield squad?

There are 2 flaws in Matched Play/Tournament Play that I see being mentioned: the Wulfen's high points costs and they're not a Core unit.  Power Levels render the points costs less relevant by allowing them to load up with wargear, such as everyone getting Thunderhammers and Stormshields, making them possibly better than Terminators at a lower points cost.  Then they're not a Core unit, but in smaller games I might not get an HQ to follow them anyway, so they'll likely get Battle Honours that have the same effect as a buff.

Just curious what you guys think.  Thanks in advance.

You can make wulfen terrifying without core

Keen senses makes the THs hit on 2s so even without rerolls you present a massive threat

Morkai bolts gives them reroll wounds...combine with savage strike and they wound almost everything on 2s

before this price drop I liked pure frost claws b/c S6 reroll all wounds

TH/SS might be back

I agree TH/SS Wulfen are looking good. They have lost a few advantages they had in 8th but at 145 points or 8 power, they are pretty good value for what they bring. This is especially true in smaller games where a fast-moving unit packing plenty of S10 attacks and a 3+/4++ save is hard to shift.

Pretty much any unit you can tool up excessively is good for crusade - mainly as you're 'bending' the rules for advantage - PL is meant as a quick guide to a units worth in game, assuming you use it with whatever weapons you've chucked on them, as opposed to specifically modelling them to be as expensive as possible.

If you consistently take the 'most expensive' options in terms of points, while  your PL might be the same as your opponents, your actual point level might be much higher, giving significant advantage to you in game. 

This is possible not just for wolfen, but things like vanguard, dev squads, etc, anything with highly variable loadouts.  

Ya, you're right.

And this really is a case of gaming the system, isn't it?  It's like financial engineering.  And it makes a great argument for those veteran Firstborn Marines, not just Wulfen.

In the case of the Wulfen, we were just looking at the leaked Eldar Avatar Datasheet...that S10 becomes very relevant over S8.  Like, y'know, is there any reason to choose Wulfen over Wolf Guard with Jump Packs (which are a little bit cheaper and also worth looking at) also with Thunderhammers.  There's definitely a case for it.