Green Stuff World Colorshift metallic paints

Someone on Facebook mentioned these paints today, and I did a quick search and ordered a couple just to check them out.

I am wondering how they would work with metallic armor.

Has anyone here tried these paints out before?

What were your results?

Would you recommend?

Would you like to share your results?

Inhave tried 2 kinds. Some kind of blue and blue purple. I think it is a matter of taste. I could imagine them on tyranif bug armour. I personally dis not like the kook on my test marine. But you indeed might. I'd say gibe it a shot.

Unflrtunately the model has been oberpainted allready otherwhise i would show you the result.

Most important tip is to use an airbrush. It seems like you can work with a zenithal undercoat.

I've tried these paints out and I recommend using an airbrush and applying the paint over a gloss black undercoat. I've used the paints here and there but I mainly used the colours Red Goblin and Evil Forest on my Mechanicus aligned Imperial Knights.

Decal2mod

Closeup1

Decal2 5

Decal2 4

Decal2 3

Decal2 2

Decal2 1

Decal1

I wanted my Knight house to show it's allegiance to both Mars and my homebrew Forge World so the paint shifts between red and green as required.

To get the best results with this paint working gradually with thin layers is advised. 

I have noticed that they now produce these paints in rattlecans. I don't know if those would be easier to use or not.

I also used Ground is Lava, a colourshift paint from Turbo Dork on my wing membranes but the flatter surfaces do not show the effect off as well.

IMG 20210324 162948

IMG 20210324 162415

IMG 20210324 162436

IMG 20210324 162345

IMG 20210324 162107

IMG 20201015 141901

IMG 20200929 133736

I'd say give them a go, you may like them, you may find them a bit gimmicky. Personally it fit the lore for my Knights so I went with it.

I've experimented with them a bit, along with turbo dork Turboshifts, which are a very similar idea.

Mostly for Fantasy models, where it works fairly well for magical armour or weapons. I agree they are a bit gimmicky for general 40k use, but for specific schemes they are pretty cool.

I did use them for my WIP alpha legion blackstone fortress marines; celestial azure, followed by a thinned glaze of akhelian green Contrast to adjust the blue tone to more turqoise, but keep the purple 'shift'.

http://i.imgur.com/AflqwjCh.jpg

Like most colourshift paints, the effect is fairly subtle in photos, but it is pleasing when you see it from different angles in person. A gloss black primer helps significantly with lustre. You can do just a normal black primer, followed by a gloss varnish layer if you don't have a gloss black primer. They are significantly easier to use through an airbrush, to put down several thin coats (let it dry between coats). Usually you don't get the full effect until about the 3rd thin coat. They can be used with a brush - keep brushstrokes the same direction each time - but mainly for small areas.

A more subtle example is the turbo shift 'dark net' on the legs of the BSF spindle drones.

http://i.imgur.com/HIVG7veh.jpg

I think they're kickass for tyranids too (not my models) - letters on bases are the initials of the greenstuff world chameleon paints used.

eWDwUbLx2nxeImLh9yWeWZVmujVfd98Vb5J8W81d

and Hive Fleet mara (darth blue with a druchii violet wash, I think)

luaGGF5g4OuLzY2hUVLB_zJwMalwcjl2IDmjBTDL

Edited by Arkhanist

Wow, thank you!

This was exactly what I was looking for!

Sadly, I do not have an airbrush (yet), but I will give this a go with several thing brush layers. Use some test models to see how I go.

I wanted to try the paints out for my Night Lords, since I use a tarnished dirty gold as trim and a metallic blue for the armor.

So far, to get the effect, I was using several different layers of citadel metallic paint and washes.

I am not sure the Chameleon colors will give a similar effect, but I am curious.

Thank you for the pictures and advice.

I think they'd be great for nightlords.

This one is psychotic illusions I believe:

K0vEIcYh.jpg

Psychotic Illusions:

And this one is darth blue:

52567639_2100939589959709_70600575646034

On this one, you can see the speckles that sometimes show up in photos. This is much less pronounced in person.

And GSW did a tutorial for using with a brush which may help.

Edited by Arkhanist

I'm happy to see that people are starting to embrace colourshift paints more now. It was a bit hard to find information on them when I started looking into them. They really are good fun to use. Since then Vallejo have produced their own range (which I haven't personally checked out) and Green Stuff World have expanded their range with holographic, chrome and interference paints. Interference paints appear to be applied over a colour and produce a sheen of a colour (for example you can paint something blue and spray a red interference paint over the top). I haven't tested these paints yet but I own a red interference paint I intent to test on a Gundam kit I've had sitting around for a while.

I forgot to explain my photographs earlier. I painted the weapons and cowl around the head of my Knights in Red Goblin, the rest is Evil Forest.

Two words about them.

I tryed the whole collection with a friend some weeks ago (he is going to paint a complete wratith army using a colourshift as main colour) and half doesn't look good or shift enought, the other half can be splitted in like three group, green-red, white-blue and blue-red with like 3 colours each group with different proportion between the colours.

There are some amazing colours like the Emerald Blue that I love and could be used in many ways, we also put two different colourshift on a single spoon (like the ones in the video) and it's amazing.

The best way to use them is using an airbrush on a gloss black base imho...and on large surfaces.

Here our video https://www.instagram.com/p/CXnsvCzjVTk/

I’ve tried one of the colours before (Psychotic illusions I think) for a potential Alpha Legion army, and I think it worked pretty well. Every time I look at the model I think to myself must do more of these, but too many projects on the go! Maybe when the new plastic heresy box comes out though who knows.

gallery_33945_4970_181864.jpeg

gallery_33945_4970_805056.jpeg

gallery_33945_4970_598859.jpeg

I also have color shifter called Ground is Lava from another company (can't remember the company) that is just not what it should be. It's supposed to be a dark embery red into brown but it's just a metallic purply red.

Edit: Ground is Lava

med_gallery_33718_16888_556155.jpg

Edited by Wulf Vengis

I also have color shifter called Ground is Lava from another company (can't remember the company) that is just not what it should be. It's supposed to be a dark embery red into brown but it's just a metallic purply red.

Edit: Ground is Lava

med_gallery_33718_16888_556155.jpg

Ground is Lava is a Turbo Dork paint. I used it in my post above. I could do with shaking the paint thoroughly and trying it again to see if I can get get the gold colour out of it rather than just the red. It's a shame that you don't get spare Imperial Knight shoulder plates since they are nice large domed surfaces to test the paints on. I'll have to get creative.

So my colorshift paints arrived today.

I had ordered Cobalt Blue and Burning Gold. I thought these paints would fit best to my Night Lords.

I was very curious, so I did play around with the paints for 90mins.

It actually does work if you use thin layers of drybrushing with the paints.

colour-shift-necron.jpg

I tried out different textures, different base colours underneath (black base, black base with light grey draybrushing underneath, Nightlords Blue base and Balthasar Gold base).

For the colors I am going for with my Night Lords, the Cobalt Blue paint might actually be useable for my purposes.

blue-shift.jpg

I got decent results both from pure black as well as Nightlords blue base, but I actually liked the highlights when the black had been drybrushed with grey lightly beforehand. That adds highlights that imitate lightning.

I also tried applying Agrax Earthshade on top. That takes out most of the sparkle and comes very close to what I had been doing with my Night Lords before.

I think that would not be a bad option.

colour-shift-wash.jpg

wash-effect.jpg

The Cobalt Blue will be great for my armor.

The gold however.... is not the shade/ colour I was aiming for.

But playing around with it, I think it will be great for weapon effects, like heat discoloration on weapons. Apply normal metallic color, and then add a layer or two of the colorshift gold on top.

Plus, I recon it would be perfect for aged bronze.

I think if I play around a bit more and paint bronze, then add a couple of layers of the colourshift gold, and then a thin wash of Agrax.... I might be onto something there!

wash-and-without.jpg

When I have time, I will have another go and will play around with it a bit more, but it is at least a promising start.

Only, that Necron looks RIDICULOUS in those colors, I will give him the Emperors Mercy and repaint him in my army colors. :p

Good day !

I personnaly use ONLY GSW paints, and I find them pretty good :) Pigmentation is rather satisfying and metalic colors have good covering.

Example for bronzish paint :

IMG 20210723 184741 compress49

Example for steelish paint :

IMG 20210627 164500 compress10

Hope this helps :)